• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sean Newcomb

In the midst of all this rigged NBA I turn my attention to a guy we have been waiting for, for 2 years in the Simmons deal. He was the prize for us long term in that deal and he looks great in his debut today. Only surrendered 1 run to the Mets in 7 innings. Thoughts? @Gray Mule and @Thomas and others who follow us closely, your thoughts?

On November 12, 2015, the Angels traded Newcomb, Erick AybarChris Ellis and cash considerations to the Atlanta Braves for Andrelton Simmons and Jose Briceno.[10] The Braves invited Newcomb to spring training and he spent the 2016 season with the Double A Mississippi Braves.[11][12] While pitching in the Southern League, he posted 4.6 walks per nine innings with a 3.86 ERA.[13]

He made his Major League debut on June 10, 2017 for the Atlanta Braves at SunTrust Park vs the New York Mets.[16]

The first building block of the new look rebuilding Braves. I think he can be a #1 or 2 type of rotational starter. 

Check out some of his pitches...for his debut, he looks like a vet out there.

At least we have great piece for SunTrust moving forward.

Is he our Mad dog, Glavine, Smoltz or Avery...or even Charlie Leibrandt? What do you all think?

Gio Gonzalez 2.0 most likely.

This isn't actually talking bad either. Gio, especially in his past had electric stuff for a LHP but control issues which limited his upside to being a #3/4 most years. It was fine today but Newcomb's command is bad.

Although it's more like inconsistency, like someone said they watched a number of his starts on MiLB.tv and said that of 12 games, he was dominant in 8 of them and in 4 his command was miserable.

Most likely if it works out, he'll go like Gonzalez in that he's going to frustrate you, despite great stuff, but he'll put up 3.30-3.50 ERAs despite having games with miserable command, and may have years here and there with good enough command that he puts up ace like numbers.

17 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Is he our Mad dog, Glavine, Smoltz or Avery...or even Charlie Leibrandt? What do you all think?

Before he started mixing it up some a couple of articles mentioned a Randy Johnson's shorter brother kind of comparison. I myself am not the person with much knowledge in the sport these days. 

If he ever harnesses his command, he's Jon Lester.  That's the type of stuff he has.  It took Jon Lester a few years to put everything together.  Jon Lester broke into the majors as 22, and in his first 81 innings, he walked 43 batters (1.6+ WHIP).  Newcomb is 24, but he was a college guy while Lester was a high school guy.

I liked what I saw from Nuke.  Yes, his command of the curveball seems off, but that is one of the last pitches that MLers tend to get control of, especially power guys.  Smoltz had all sorts of control issues his first couple of years. He finally added a splitter to compliment his fastball and slider. That split finger really accelerated his career. I wonder if Nuke, needs to consider a split instead of the curve as it might move more naturally with his power delivery.

From what I saw, I actually was thinking left-handed Clemons. Similar size, similar on mound demeanor and similar delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating this thread.

Nuke won his first game last night and was dealing. 

6.0 IP, 8K, 1 BB, 103-68 (pitches-strikes). 

ERA through 4 games 1.48 :gun:

Pitched out of a couple of jams and tried to work into the 7th but just ran out of gas. 

It looks like he's wildly effective at the major league level.  It will be interesting to see how the hitters adjust after another month worth of starts. They may stop chasing some of his borderline pitches. But, he gets so much late  movement, I'm not sure they'll be able to. 

Edited by frosgrim

Well, start #5 was a stinker. 

3.1 IP 7 ER 10 H 2 BB 2 K,

ERA is now 3.58

As with any rookie pitcher, these sorts of games are going to happen.