• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do you treat Sap?

Diesel

• Premium Member

As Free agency Looms...

How do you treat Sap?

Do you make him an offer early?  Do you let the market decide?  Do you do nothing?

I just think of loyalty. Even if it's not our intentions to resign Sap, do you go to him and let him know that we are willing to SNT him to anybody that he would want to play for?  OR  Do you just let him find his own deal?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I treat him with respect regardless first and foremost.  But what I specifically do depends on whether I truly intend to resign him or not.  Assuming we aren't willing to sign  him at any price, I'd probably tell him "We want you back and we are excited to offer you 3 years for $90M [or whatever the numbers are].  Here is how we see your role with the team and here is how we intend to compete this year and the next couple."  If he comes back saying he will leave for that, I'd respond along the lines of "It is your choice at the end of the day, Paul.  We want you back but if you choose to go we hold you in high respect and if you want to leave for another team via S&T then let us know.  If you find a team and deal, we'll work with them to get you there and return some value to the Hawks.  If you know you want to go, we'll proactively talk to teams and bring you some options.  It is your choice at the end of the day."

I think the difference between the Max we can give and what everybody else can give is 50 Million.  So I believe that if it's about the money, he will work with us for a SNT.  If he's upset, he will pull a Horford. 

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the difference between the Max we can give and what everybody else can give is 50 Million.  So I believe that if it's about the money, he will work with us for a SNT.  If he's upset, he will pull a Horford. 

Except that it doesn't work that way.  If a sign and trade deal is made under the new CBA, it can be for no more than 4 years, and he can only get 5% raises on his salary.  So, he actually can't get more money from doing a sign and deal. 

Any S&T deal will likely have to include a 3rd team to absorb salary if it is to a team that is above the cap because base year compensation issues will complicate the matter. 

There is one possibility that no one talks about, and it really isn't in Paul's best interest to do this, but he can still pick up his player option.  If he does that, he can then be traded easier.

I make an offer to him knowing full well he won't accept it.  In the event that he does accept the offer I rescind it as fast as humanely possible.  He is a great player and could be one that sends a team from good to great, but he makes no sense for the Hawks.  It's in both parties interest if he's not on the Hawks.  I would approach him about a sign and trade idea because he understands the business side of the whole thing too.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The max he can get in a SNT is the same as he can get from a team directly.  We can only give him the higher max if we keep him.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Alex said:

I make an offer to him knowing full well he won't accept it.  In the event that he does accept the offer I rescind it as fast as humanely possible.  

What?  You can't seriously make him an offer and then rescind it after he accepts.  Price your original offer accordingly.

• Like 1

I can't even fathom why anyone would not want to sign Paul if he were agreeable on a team friendly deal.  You don't win games by getting rid of good players.  I can understand letting him walk if he says he isn't going to resign unless he gets a max deal, but if he would sign a 3 year, $100 million deal, then you do that without question. 

• Premium Member

I guess im on the camp to keep him.  He is in his prime and their is not really a better player out there we can get to replace him.  Im 110% against tanking brcause it just doesnt ever work.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I can't even fathom why anyone would not want to sign Paul if he were agreeable on a team friendly deal.  You don't win games by getting rid of good players.  I can understand letting him walk if he says he isn't going to resign unless he gets a max deal, but if he would sign a 3 year, $100 million deal, then you do that without question. 

Team friendly deal????   There is no way in H-ll I'd sign Millsap to 3 year $100 million dollar deal.  That would be absolutely nuts!!!!!!!

The Hawks do the same dumb shit every year..instead of working out an agreement with Sap, we gone let him walk for nothing.. We could have signed other players and went over the cap to resign Sap..Instead we are going to sign a bunch of shitty players that we have no bird rights on.. Develop them and be back in the same boat as we were with Carroll and Bazemore.. Ressler is cheap like all the other cheap hawks owners and is using Rebuild as a cop out to not spend money..

Edited by LastDon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Team friendly deal????   There is no way in H-ll I'd sign Millsap to 3 year $100 million dollar deal.  That would be absolutely nuts!!!!!!!

LMFAO we are paying Plumlee 12 mil a season for the next 3 to sit his sorry ass on the bench and drink Gatorade and u dont wanna pay Millsap!?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, LastDon said:

LMFAO we are paying Plumlee 12 mil a season for the next 3 to sit his sorry ass on the bench and drink Gatorade and u dont wanna pay Millsap!?

Plumlee is not the right point of comparison.  We would drop him and his contract if we could.  He is obviously negative value.

16 hours ago, Diesel said:

As Free agency Looms...

How do you treat Sap?

Do you make him an offer early?  Do you let the market decide?  Do you do nothing?

I just think of loyalty. Even if it's not our intentions to resign Sap, do you go to him and let him know that we are willing to SNT him to anybody that he would want to play for?  OR  Do you just let him find his own deal?

Let the market decide. I expect him to be too expensive for ATL though, especially since DEN finally has a legit shot at him.

• Premium Member

I would treat him with a (4 + 1 team option), 35M per contract. Show him I have high regard for his person and his game and I want him to retire a Hawk. That's what loyal teams do to their stars.

DO NOT PUSSYFOOT ON GIVING HIM HIS BIG CONTRACT. Hawks have to cherish their only star player, I'm so tired and frustrated to see everybody go away from the ATL.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I would treat him with a (4 + 1 team option), 35M per contract. Show him I have high regard for his person and his game and I want him to retire a Hawk. That's what loyal teams do to their stars.

DO NOT PUSSYFOOT ON GIVING HIM HIS BIG CONTRACT. Hawks have to cherish their only star player, I'm so tired and frustrated to see everybody go away from the ATL.

If my math is right, that's 5 years 175 Million.    I'm not mad at that.   Especially with the TO. 

• Premium Member

It's right. But it could also be 4 years 140 million, which is around what the other teams can pay. If somehow he is performing really well by the 4th year of this contract, all the better. If it doesn't work, if the team looks like it's going nowhere with Bud back as full-time HC, then Hawks trade him to one of the now S&T candidates early in his contract. Nothing to lose IMHO.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

It's right. But it could also be 4 years 140 million, which is around what the other teams can pay. If somehow he is performing really well by the 4th year of this contract, all the better. If it doesn't work, if the team looks like it's going nowhere with Bud back as full-time HC, then Hawks trade him to one of the now S&T candidates early in his contract. Nothing to lose IMHO.

I think about that price, Sap would be movable in the first two years of his deal.  I really expect there to be no dropoff in Sap's play unless we change coaches.