• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk > "Competitive" = winning 30-something games

sturt

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

@Wretch if we were to tank that would mean trading a Schröder and Prince. Are you willing to do that? Because if we don't then we are going to win too many games to actually tank. 

For me, we are into the world of semantics.  A team whose best players are Dennis and Prince is going to be easily top 10 in the lottery with a shot at the top.  Call that a rebuild or tank but I think that looks like where we are going and I'm fine with that.  I would not want to get rid of promising young talent so we could hope to land promising young talent in the draft.  We'll lose plenty enough with those two as the leads to add promising young talent to our existing young talent.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

For me, we are into the world of semantics.  A team whose best players are Dennis and Prince is going to be easily top 10 in the lottery with a shot at the top.  Call that a rebuild or tank but I think that looks like where we are going and I'm fine with that.  I would not want to get rid of promising young talent so we could hope to land promising young talent in the draft.  We'll lose plenty enough with those two as the leads to add promising young talent to our existing young talent.

We are hurtin for certain. If we end up with Gorgui Dieng and sign Hardaway we may push for 25 wins.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agreed.  I have always been under the impression that teams go through cycles and rebuild when appropriate.  I'm not sure when it became NOT ok to do that.  Maybe Philadelphia just took it to the extreme and brought negative press to it?  I can't say.  What I do know though is that people are not going to stop using the word "tanking" and are associating it with most if not all of the lottery teams.  As long as people do that, I'll continue to drive a wedge between the intentional sandbagging to get the best picks and the traditional process of rebuilding your team.

8 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Agreed.  I have always been under the impression that teams go through cycles and rebuild when appropriate.  I'm not sure when it became NOT ok to do that.  Maybe Philadelphia just took it to the extreme and brought negative press to it?  I can't say.  What I do know though is that people are not going to stop using the word "tanking" and are associating it with most if not all of the lottery teams.  As long as people do that, I'll continue to drive a wedge between the intentional sandbagging to get the best picks and the traditional process of rebuilding your team.

Tanking to me is when you bench your starters or put then on IR with injuries they would normally play through. In other words lose games on purpose. That is not the same as a rebuild which is done based on a plan.

The tanking usually starts after the all star break when teams see they cannot make the playoffs and start jockeying for better odds in the lottery.

Two very different things to me.

• Moderators

For me tanking is intentionally constructing or managing a roster with the intent to get worse in the short term and get into the lottery to be better later.  That covers what we'll be doing in my book but for others that is more appropriately labeled rebuilding.  I don't see much difference in the labels just in the execution where the difference is very meaningful between Philly and GS (who both tanked at times in my mind during their rebuilds).

Man they are ripping this team apart and getting no back lash from it. 92.9 the game love the Dwight move ( even though we save no money) they say move on from milsap he's not a max player.. ( where have I heard that one oh yeah al horford ) funny how we shouldn't  pay players max money like were the spur and all we do is win titles. but yet someone else pays them with no problem. then you renovate Phillips only tells me you want the visiting team fans to be comfortable while they bash the hawks heads in every night.  Every game the seats will be filled with the opposing team fans enjoying our new renovated arena.  we could have blow it up no problem but to get me to co sign this BS not happing.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 5:35 PM, AHF said:

For me, we are into the world of semantics.  A team whose best players are Dennis and Prince is going to be easily top 10 in the lottery with a shot at the top.  Call that a rebuild or tank 

This all day.

That is has gotten to this point so quickly without the FO garnering any potentially game-changing assets is unforgivable.

Even in the East this team will lose plenty enough as is.

Gosh last off-season was so mind-numbingly awful ... and now we get to reap what they've sown.