Schlenk > "Competitive" = winning 30-something games

sturt

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

“Again, we are trying to be competitive. The Philly model is not our model. We are going to continue to add guys who help us be competitive but are also on deals that allow us to have flexibility.”...

Believe someone alluded to it already but that sounds like the way Ferry operated right there and it wasn't the end of the world but almost everything on the floor panned out better than projected back then. This will be different am feeling. Once again though we need to see whats on the floor in front of us game one.

• Like 1

I will say that this is clearly a better strategy than tanking, but it is still very risky.  For this to work and have the Hawks back in the playoffs within the next year or two, a few things have to happen.

1.  What we saw from Dennis Schröder in the playoffs needs to be what we get consistently from him.

2.  Taurean Prince needs to become Kawhi-lite or a souped up DMC.

3.  John Collins needs to progress fast.

4.  You have to hit on the pick you get if you end up jumping into the abyss known as the lottery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Or in other words, @KB21, we need Hawks U itself to become better than it ever has been before. Yes?

To add, with that lottery pick, you can't use that pick on some player who is a long term project.  You have to get someone that can step in relatively quickly and make a contribution to winning.  

• Like 1

If this is the case then there should be no problem with bud playing our rookies and other 2 year players this upcoming season. 

Allow those guys to get better vs actual starting units. I expect to see Collins as a starter as well as 2nd year prince and bembry as main rotational player off the bench with Dorsey 

mind as well play play our young guys ...no need to play old ass vets

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTB said:

If this is the case then there should be no problem with bud playing our rookies and other 2 year players this upcoming season. 

Allow those guys to get better vs actual starting units. I expect to see Collins as a starter as well as 2nd year prince and bembry as main rotational player off the bench with Dorsey 

mind as well play play our young guys ...no need to play old ass vets

No.

If you stick Collins out there too early and he gets completely abused on the floor, then you do more harm to his long term game than development.  If he's ready to play over the last 30 games or so, then you put him in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTB said:

I expect to see Collins as a starter as well as 2nd year prince and bembry as main rotational player off the bench with Dorsey 

Thinking SF as Prince and Bembry now and PG as Dennis with competition between Delaney and Dorsey. Really pulling for Dorsey because of his gun, wow. As everyone else am hoping for a miracle and Delaney is moved and then maybe Jose helps us out, like last year. 

• Like 1

Lol Philly has wholly embraced that process.. just set a record for season ticket sales.

Sounds like some PR speak to me, the NBA will never let another team admit to tanking like Philly did. That's why they forced Hinkie out.

Edited by DBac

14 minutes ago, Watchman said:

In other words, there will be a lot more empty seats and an even more apathetic fan base, if that's possible.  Well Bud, maybe your next gig will work out better for you.

Or we can have good fans like Philly and form a cult around the tank. They have so much fun there worshipping at the alter of Hinkie. There's hype there for that more than there was ever hype for anything here. I know i will be more interested in the losing team than a winning team because at least I get to watch young guys play instead of old guys. Plus I get to focus on the draft year round instead of after playoff elimination which is much better than what was previously happening. Just the way I think about sports. It's either watch a championship team now or think about how the team can be a championship 5 years from now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Or we can have good fans like Philly and form a cult around the tank. They have so much fun there worshipping at the alter of Hinkie. There's hype there for that more than there was ever hype for anything here. I know i will be more interested in the losing team than a winning team because at least I get to watch young guys play instead of old guys. Plus I get to focus on the draft year round instead of after playoff elimination which is much better than what was previously happening. Just the way I think about sports. It's either watch a championship team now or think about how the team can be a championship 5 years from now.

That is the only mentality a NBA fan should have. Other sports work differently because you can win titles without superstars or building a decent team to a great one. But not in the NBA. You either have a championship contender or nothing. At least rebuilding  you might find the superstar to take you into contention status.

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

NBA roster theory is so fun