• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk > "Competitive" = winning 30-something games

sturt

1 hour ago, JTB said:

If this is the case then there should be no problem with bud playing our rookies and other 2 year players this upcoming season. 

Allow those guys to get better vs actual starting units. I expect to see Collins as a starter as well as 2nd year prince and bembry as main rotational player off the bench with Dorsey 

mind as well play play our young guys ...no need to play old ass vets

Im okay with this if the young bucks are playing well.  However, Bud has shown that he will pull players if they routinely make the same mistake.  Dennis and Dwight are good examples of this.

• Like 1

It's pretty much what Dallas and the Heat are doing. They aren't outright tanking but they are getting young while competing every night.

This is probably the best way to go considering the state of the roster. It's the youngest it's been in a while and when Millsap is gone, Schröder automatically is the best player. Combine that with Schlenk consistently preaching flexibility, all this makes sense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sturt said:

So, I think we finally have in front of us some quotes that definitively set aside "tanking," but that acknowledge expectations for the next few years are not going to be what we've been used to.

http://atlantahawks.blog.myajc.com/2017/06/29/schlenk-doesnt-like-the-word-rebuild/

In other words, he thinks he is going to build a contender here based on 15-19th caliber picks? lol

This is a half assed rebuild.

• Like 2

Actually, a part of this is talk... Without someone like LMA or Love coming in replacement of Sap... There is no chance in hell this team wins 30 something games next year.

Either someone like that is coming back or this team struggles to win 25 games. Dennis and Prince aren't enough to win you 30 something games.  I don't think the GM is being totally honest here.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

2 hours ago, sturt said:

=============================================================

(Yes... you may have seen this one before... but it seems to be confirmed now.)

Of course the Warriors were in a much tougher WC.  The bar in the EC is much, much lower. 

• Premium Member

Sounds like a tank to me.

BK wanted to build through the lottery also.   I don't remember Ferry saying build through the Lottery.   This suggest tanking.  He just hopes that we are still competitive.  He described his core as Collins &  Prince, That tells me that Sap is probably going to be allowe to walk and that THJr is not high value right now.  I also think that it's Dennis not being mentioned speaks volumes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

Or we can have good fans like Philly and form a cult around the tank. They have so much fun there worshipping at the alter of Hinkie. There's hype there for that more than there was ever hype for anything here. I know i will be more interested in the losing team than a winning team because at least I get to watch young guys play instead of old guys. Plus I get to focus on the draft year round instead of after playoff elimination which is much better than what was previously happening. Just the way I think about sports. It's either watch a championship team now or think about how the team can be a championship 5 years from now.

This is Atlanta man as far as drawing crowds goes, either you're championship contending or your not. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Sounds like a tank to me.

BK wanted to build through the lottery also.   I don't remember Ferry saying build through the Lottery.   This suggest tanking.  He just hopes that we are still competitive.  He described his core as Collins &  Prince, That tells me that Sap is probably going to be allowe to walk and that THJr is not high value right now.  I also think that it's Dennis not being mentioned speaks volumes. 

I agree that it's notable that he didn't mention Dennis. Strange since he's the same age as Taurean.

This is the direction we should've went in about 5 years ago. I'm sorry, but we've had a great, consistent 10 year run as a stepping stone for LeBron. Let's prepare for future. Not full on Philly tank, but one where we acquire assets and put ourselves in position to make power moves. What this tells you is that our ownership is truly comitted to winning big. Not just cashing playoff checks, but changing the entire culture and perspective of Hawks basketball. I love it. It gives me a reason to watch college basketball closely. It may take 4 or 5 years, but this is the right direction. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I agree that it's notable that he didn't mention Dennis. Strange since he's the same age as Taurean.

I know it's not unusual for a GM to come in and clean house.   I can imagine that he would move as many contracts as he could then he would start building with the draft picks that he gained from trades.  I just hope that he has evaluated the players in the next few drafts before making bets on them.   Hate to see us have a draft year like 2003.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

This is the direction we should've went in about 5 years ago. I'm sorry, but we've had a great, consistent 10 year run as a stepping stone for LeBron. Let's prepare for future. Not full on Philly tank, but one where we acquire assets and put ourselves in position to make power moves. What this tells you is that our ownership is truly comitted to winning big. Not just cashing playoff checks, but changing the entire culture and perspective of Hawks basketball. I love it. It gives me a reason to watch college basketball closely. It may take 4 or 5 years, but this is the right direction. 

Hold your horses.  5 years ago would have encompassed our best season ever.  I heard one pundit suggesting that some GMs are trying to "wait Lebron out".  Meaning Build young teams so that as Lebron gets older, they will have teams that can win the conference but for now just let Lebron have it. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

3 years ago we had 4 all stars on the team.. Hardly a time to rebuild.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He thinks Dennis sucks!  Haven't you been keeping up with his threads?

I don't think Dennis sucks.  I think Dennis is an good scorer.  I think Dennis is not a PG though.  Not a natural passer.  It depends on what Schlenk envisions.  He may envision a OG with a team filled with passers or he may think that now is a good time to move Dennis for high draft picks to a team that needs a PG.    I didn't mention it but he said nothing about Baze either.   I pay attention to what the GM says and doesn't say... when he says that he's building through the draft.  Wants an exciting team.  Then says that he's happy with Prince and Collins and that they will build around these guys... yes I heard that... I also heard that he didn't say anything about guys already signed to long contracts (Baze and Dennis).  Nor did he say anything about our FAs.  Not talking about the FAs may be smart but guys who are under contract... surely they should be part of the core unless.. he's looking to move them. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't think Dennis sucks.  I think Dennis is an good scorer.  I think Dennis is not a PG though.  Not a natural passer.  It depends on what Schlenk envisions.  He may envision a OG with a team filled with passers or he may think that now is a good time to move Dennis for high draft picks to a team that needs a PG.    I didn't mention it but he said nothing about Baze either.   I pay attention to what the GM says and doesn't say... when he says that he's building through the draft.  Wants an exciting team.  Then says that he's happy with Prince and Collins and that they will build around these guys... yes I heard that... I also heard that he didn't say anything about guys already signed to long contracts (Baze and Dennis).  Nor did he say anything about our FAs.  Not talking about the FAs may be smart but guys who are under contract... surely they should be part of the core unless.. he's looking to move them. 

Maybe but I think Dennis gets more time than 1 year as a starter to improve his skills

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Hold your horses.  5 years ago would have encompassed our best season ever.  I heard one pundit suggesting that some GMs are trying to "wait Lebron out".  Meaning Build young teams so that as Lebron gets older, they will have teams that can win the conference but for now just let Lebron have it. 

Phenomenal season I agree, but how did it end again ?