• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk > "Competitive" = winning 30-something games

sturt

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Maybe but I think Dennis gets more time than 1 year as a starter to improve his skills

I agree, I don't think the GM is committed to Dennis for the long term. I think he is going to see what Dennis does this year and then he will decide on if Dennis is the PG for the long term or not. Dennis is one of those explosive personality type of players and so you have to see if the grow out of that.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

3 years ago we had 4 all stars on the team.. Hardly a time to rebuild.

If we're being honest, we only got that many selections based on our record. We still got trampled by the Cavs. We weren't ever really contenders. Just regular season warriors.

Edited by EazyRoc

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Maybe but I think Dennis gets more time than 1 year as a starter to improve his skills

Depends on what you can get for him?

I don't think that this GM cares about time put in.  He cares about his plan. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

I agree, I don't think the GM is committed to Dennis for the long term. I think he is going to see what Dennis does this year and then he will decide on if Dennis is the PG for the long term or not.

Remember when the Spurs were ready to cut ties with Parker in favor of an aging Jason kidd.  I think they are glad that they didn't pull that trigger right?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Hold your horses.  5 years ago would have encompassed our best season ever.  I heard one pundit suggesting that some GMs are trying to "wait Lebron out".  Meaning Build young teams so that as Lebron gets older, they will have teams that can win the conference but for now just let Lebron have it. 

Also it is very very hard to build anything (as far as youth is concerned) if you're picking in the late teens every year.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Phenomenal season I agree, but how did it end again ?

With us going farther than any other team in this Franchise's Atlanta History has ever gone... including those Nique teams. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

If we're being honest, we only got that many selections based on our record. We still got trampled by the Cavs. We weren't ever really contenders. Just regular season warriors.

Still not the time to rebuild after a 60 win season with everyone returning except the non all star

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Still not the time to rebuild after a 60 win season with everyone returning except the non all star

Yes, I see what you mean. It would've been a PR nightmare. I said what I said to mean if we started 5 years ago, we would probably have already built a true contender. Now we have to go through 5 years of ugly, but by the end LeBron will be gone or much less effective.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I agree, I don't think the GM is committed to Dennis for the long term. I think he is going to see what Dennis does this year and then he will decide on if Dennis is the PG for the long term or not. Dennis is one of those explosive personality type of players and so you have to see if the grow out of that.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were interviewing David West.  David West has played for San Antonio and GS.  They asked him about the difference.  He said in GS you have superstar guys with superstar talent who are coachable, meek, and they have a  strong work ethic.   That's the place where Schlenk is coming from.  A place where the superstar players are humble and coachable.   IF Schlenk is a stickler for that atmosphere, Dennis better not buy a House in Atlanta no time soon.   Especially if other teams have value for Dennis. 

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

With us going farther than any other team in this Franchise's Atlanta History has ever gone... including those Nique teams. 

Absolutely, but we got destroyed again when it mattered. Once we lost that close game 1 (or 2 don't remember) in Cleveland...I knew this team had maxed out.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were interviewing David West.  David West has played for San Antonio and GS.  They asked him about the difference.  He said in GS you have superstar guys with superstar talent who are coachable, meek, and they have a  strong work ethic.   That's the place where Schlenk is coming from.  A place where the superstar players are humble and coachable.   IF Schlenk is a stickler for that atmosphere, Dennis better not buy a House in Atlanta no time soon.   Especially if other teams have value for Dennis. 

On the other hand, the Warriors do have Green... He is an explosive type of personality. Maybe you can have one guy like that.

Either way, this is DS's team as of right now and I think the GM will give him a year to see how he handles it.

• Like 2

This is exactly what I've wanted for awhile now. He can call it whatever he wants, doesn't matter to me, just keep your eyes on the real prize. If we have to suck for a couple years in order to be real contenders I couldn't care less. Let's do this lol

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Absolutely, but we got destroyed again when it mattered. Once we lost that close game 1 (or 2 don't remember) in Cleveland...I knew this team had maxed out.

Some of the facts elude you.

DMC with a busted knee. 

Korver was Dellibadovered. Missed games 2-4.

Teague was gimpy going in.

Alice forgot her athletic bra.

Sap had a torn Labrum.

We fought so hard to get to the ECF that when we finally got there we were so beat up that we were easy pickens... but then again... all a lot of people only remember is the score.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Actually, a part of this is talk... Without someone like LMA or Love coming in replacement of Sap... There is no chance in hell this team wins 30 something games next year.

Either someone like that is coming back or this team struggles to win 25 games. Dennis and Prince aren't enough to win you 30 something games.  I don't think the GM is being totally honest here.

Did you look at the Miami squad from last year and say the same thing?  It almost made the playoffs.  Good coaching and young players that gain chemistry can get a team to 40 something wins.  The team won't go far in the playoffs though, however.

Just think about this, our bench squad beat Cleveland last year because it moved the ball, played tough defense, and hit its shots.  If you do those things, you'll win a lot of games in the regular season.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:
50 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I agree that it's notable that he didn't mention Dennis. Strange since he's the same age as Taurean.

Sounds like a tank to me.

BK wanted to build through the lottery also.   I don't remember Ferry saying build through the Lottery.   This suggest tanking.  He just hopes that we are still competitive.  He described his core as Collins &  Prince, That tells me that Sap is probably going to be allowe to walk and that THJr is not high value right now.  I also think that it's Dennis not being mentioned speaks volumes. 

Reading comprehension is so important here.  He didn't mention Dennis because Dennis was drafted in 2013.  He was talking about the two most recent drafts.  If anything, he may not think that highly of Deandre Bembry.  However, I hope he breaks out next year and shoots 35% from three. He'd be a really good player if he shoots that percentage from three.

Edited by marco102

Well, like I said previously, I think the idea is to try to make a team that has a good mix of veterans and interesting young players that play hard and together. Perhaps it works. You may not like what Bud does but you don't just beat Cleveland by accident with basically the bench starting.

I suspect if it's this pathway and I assume it is, Bud is going to prove some people wrong and prove his worth again but I don't know that the playoff streak continues.

And I wouldn't mind if it was this pathway, as watching accidental wins can be extremely funny. I was laughing when Timmy exploded in the 4th at Cleveland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Some of the facts elude you.

DMC with a busted knee. 

Korver was Dellibadovered. Missed games 2-4.

Teague was gimpy going in.

Alice forgot her athletic bra.

Sap had a torn Labrum.

We fought so hard to get to the ECF that when we finally got there we were so beat up that we were easy pickens... but then again... all a lot of people only remember is the score.

This is part of the context of that series, but why do Hawks fans always like to ignore how Kyrie barely played and Love was out? Yet they still got swept.

That whole postseason was odd. Mild scare against Brooklyn but whatever. Then vs Washington Wall breaks his hand and Paul Pierce decides to turn back the clock every time a game got close but finally we closed em out. 

That season was fun though. Every now and then I go back and watch highlights. Just goes to show that if the team is fun the fans will be there.

Edited by DBac

5 hours ago, CP61 said:

Or we can have good fans like Philly and form a cult around the tank. They have so much fun there worshipping at the alter of Hinkie. There's hype there for that more than there was ever hype for anything here. I know i will be more interested in the losing team than a winning team because at least I get to watch young guys play instead of old guys. Plus I get to focus on the draft year round instead of after playoff elimination which is much better than what was previously happening. Just the way I think about sports. It's either watch a championship team now or think about how the team can be a championship 5 years from now.

tumblr_n599rfk8Oo1qz4sowo1_500.gif

3 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

This is the direction we should've went in about 5 years ago. I'm sorry, but we've had a great, consistent 10 year run as a stepping stone for LeBron. Let's prepare for future. Not full on Philly tank, but one where we acquire assets and put ourselves in position to make power moves. What this tells you is that our ownership is truly comitted to winning big. Not just cashing playoff checks, but changing the entire culture and perspective of Hawks basketball. I love it. It gives me a reason to watch college basketball closely. It may take 4 or 5 years, but this is the right direction. 

Yeah, we will certainly change the culture from a winning culture to a losing culture.  Just remember the lottery treadmill that I posted yesterday.  

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Hold your horses.  5 years ago would have encompassed our best season ever.  I heard one pundit suggesting that some GMs are trying to "wait Lebron out".  Meaning Build young teams so that as Lebron gets older, they will have teams that can win the conference but for now just let Lebron have it. 

Sacramento has been doing that for 11+ years now.