• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another Luka Doncic Article

KB21

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20668236/there-never-nba-draft-prospect-slovenia-luka-doncic

In this moment I told someone that he reminded me of a young Drazen Petrovic," said longtime Olimpija basketball chief Srecko Bester. "He was a killer with a baby face. It was so easy for him."

The #1 prospect in the 2018 NBA Draft, and it's not even close.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, aali34 said:

I really want a Center in this draft, but I think Doncic's passing ability would fit well with Collins

I see less and less of the league being driven by centers anymore.  If Doncic will be a superstar guard, I am fine with that as our cornerstone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aali34 said:

I really want a Center in this draft, but I think Doncic's passing ability would fit well with Collins

When you have nothing on your roster you draft what's best no matter what. Also, John Collins will see significant time at center I'm sure. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, AHF said:

I see less and less of the league being driven by centers anymore.  If Doncic will be a superstar guard, I am fine with that as our cornerstone.

....and this makes the center position an undervalued commodity in the NBA right now.  With two guys who may be very good prospects coming up in Mohammed Bamba and DeAndre Ayton, and another couple of guys who may be good prospects in Mitchell Robinson and Brandon McCoy, it seems like the perfect opportunity to exploit a market inefficiency.  

If either Ayton or Bamba become the caliber of a Karl Anthony Towns or a healthy Joel Embiid, then you have a twin towers front court with a new age center that has range, size, and athleticism that no one will be able to guard.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

....and this makes the center position an undervalued commodity in the NBA right now.  With two guys who may be very good prospects coming up in Mohammed Bamba and DeAndre Ayton, and another couple of guys who may be good prospects in Mitchell Robinson and Brandon McCoy, it seems like the perfect opportunity to exploit a market inefficiency.  

If either Ayton or Bamba become the caliber of a Karl Anthony Towns or a healthy Joel Embiid, then you have a twin towers front court with a new age center that has range, size, and athleticism that no one will be able to guard.  

I don't think the market is failing to value centers.  In 2014, Embiid went #3 overall when it was known he would be injured for his entire rookie season.  In 2015 actual or potential centers (i.e., really tall big men) went 1, 3, 4 and 6 in the draft.  In 2016, you had a down year for big men but still ended up with 5 centers in the lottery (5, 9, 10, 11 and 13).  Last year was another ugly season for big man prospects but the reason John Collins fell isn't because of his position so much as him being regarded as the opposite of a "new age center."  

When you get the super sized, super athletic big man with range as you describe above, the market won't sleep on him.  I'm just starting to wonder if you are better off with a Giannis or a Towns (when historically Towns is the obvious pick in most eras).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I don't think the market is failing to value centers.  In 2014, Embiid went #3 overall when it was known he would be injured for his entire rookie season.  In 2015 actual or potential centers (i.e., really tall big men) went 1, 3, 4 and 6 in the draft.  In 2016, you had a down year for big men but still ended up with 5 centers in the lottery (5, 9, 10, 11 and 13).  Last year was another ugly season for big man prospects but the reason John Collins fell isn't because of his position so much as him being regarded as the opposite of a "new age center."  

When you get the super sized, super athletic big man with range as you describe above, the market won't sleep on him.  I'm just starting to wonder if you are better off with a Giannis or a Towns (when historically Towns is the obvious pick in most eras).

You're definitely better off with a guy who can play all 5 positions. The Greek Freak isn't like most players though.

Elite centers are super duper valuable. Teams have been handing out bad contracts to average centers lately but a guy like a Marc Gasol or healthy Embiid or AD (if you consider him a center) are still great weapons vs these small teams. Just so rare to find a center worth investing high capital in.

I think a Giannis type is more valuable though. He's the best young piece in the NBA. Unbelievable how good he has become and how quickly too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KB21 said:

I think you are understating the talent Ayton and Bamba possesses. These are two of the most talented young centers since Towns. 

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

My board hasn't changed one bit: 

1. Bagley

2. Ayton

3. Porter Jr. 

4. Doncic

5. Bamba 

But 1-5 is extremely close. 

We just have to keep collecting the L's. 1-3 is 3-1 for what to the Hawks right now.

• 2 weeks later...