• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our new GM admits Warriors tanked for Barnes

JTB

1 minute ago, hazer said:

It will not take 10 years. It didn’t take the Warriors 10 years. Frikin OAKLAND California. Who wanted to go there? NO ONE. They were a joke of a franchise for decades, like Sacramento is and the Clippers were.

And now they’re a dynasty, built in the draft, then a shittown who attracted a SUPERSTAR because of their drafting and winning. There was this guy named Schlenk who was a part of all of that. He’s with another team now using that exact same strategy.

I hear it’s a top 10 town in a top 10 market with great weather, great nightlife, hip hop and civil rights capital of the world, top 5 foodie town in the nation, Hollywood of the South (Y’allywood), lower cost of living, kick-ass renovated arena, great ownership situation with a coaching staff known league-wide for Hawks U and COY and Snyder/Atkinson coaching tree, and a place players LOVE to visit and live in the off-season. Not Oakland California or Cleveland Ohio. Hell, not Dallas or Houston Texas either.  Nor Okla-frikin-homa City Oklahoma.

If Schlenk drafts well and Hawks make it to the finals, a superstar will come to Atlanta. There were reasons they wouldn’t before, there will be reasons they would now. It won’t take 10 years. Maybe 5.

Kawhi and Giannis? 2 of my favorites.  It was instrumental in trading for the former BEFORE he was a star, Ferry was drafting for the latter until Drew stole him from us 1 pick early. So personnel in this organization had the eye. Schlenk’s eye? So far John Collins at 19th. Keep that up with our 5 upcoming 1st rounders and we’ll be in great shape.

It’s going to exciting watching it develop. Not gonna take 10 years...

Keep thinking that this is going to be a quick turn around.  I've seen this play out so many times.  Fans get excited about the unknown, and then when the unknown becomes known, the excitement leaves because the unknown wasn't quite what you thought it was.  

Even if this takes 5 years, that's 5 years too long.

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Keep thinking that this is going to be a quick turn around.  I've seen this play out so many times.  Fans get excited about the unknown, and then when the unknown becomes known, the excitement leaves because the unknown wasn't quite what you thought it was.  

I never said it would be quick. 5 years is not quick, it’s just about right for building something very solid and lasting. 5 years is too long? Only the Spurs have done it quicker than that, and they are a special case exception.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Keep thinking that this is going to be a quick turn around.  

Keep thinking we could have won a title this year if we just didn't decide to rebuild.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Keep thinking we could have won a title this year if we just didn't decide to rebuild.  

My thoughts exactly. AND calculate the current salaries of the starters for the 60-win team and see how feasible that lineup would currently be.

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not looking for a title this year.  I'm looking at what gives me the best chance at doing so down the road, and this team is much better off winning and being competitive than committing to 5+ years of losing basketball, allowing a losing culture to be established.  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm not looking for a title this year.  I'm looking at what gives me the best chance at doing so down the road, and this team is much better off winning and being competitive than committing to 5+ years of losing basketball, allowing a losing culture to be established.  

You said 5 years was 5 too long.  How long is appropriate?  That implied no time.

What is the end game?  Contender?  Playoffs?  That informs the timeline too.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

You said 5 years was 5 too long.  How long is appropriate?  That suggests zero.

I don't think you should intentionally take a step back at all.  You do what you can to find undervalued assets and field a competitive team like Danny Ferry did when he took over, and you build from that.  What Travis Schlenk has done is field a worthless roster with some youth mixed in, and that youth has no veteran leadership to look up to and show them the ropes of the league.  Schlenk has intentionally stacked the roster with shitty, not undervalued, players in an intentional attempt to lose as many games as possible to get a high draft pick and the luxury of drafting the next overhyped 19 year old athlete.  

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, that 10-yr playoff run (2nd only to the Spurs) really got us somewhere...

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't think you should intentionally take a step back at all.  You do what you can to find undervalued assets and field a competitive team like Danny Ferry did when he took over, and you build from that.  What Travis Schlenk has done is field a worthless roster with some youth mixed in, and that youth has no veteran leadership to look up to and show them the ropes of the league.  Schlenk has intentionally stacked the roster with shitty, not undervalued, players in an intentional attempt to lose as many games as possible to get a high draft pick and the luxury of drafting the next overhyped 19 year old athlete.  

And how long until we are championship contenders where we refuse to take a step back?  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, hazer said:

Yeah, that 10-yr playoff run (2nd only to the Spurs) really got us somewhere...

Hey remember that time when we lost in the first round? Or that time when we lost in the second round? Such memories...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I disagree with this. Dedmon is a decent young veteran, Ilyasova and Belly are decent veterans as well. We already got the young vet to build around in Dennis. As much as I loathe him Bazemore counts as a veteran as well. Moose is a veteran...I can keep going but we have plenty of vets.

This is where your comparisons to the Sixers are simply false. They didn't bring in any veterans to play significant minutes and their young guys had no role models or leadership as a result. We are not doing that. We already have 3 young starters plus whatever we do in the draft and free agency. This isn't a "Process" with no end in sight despite your repeated claims to the contrary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hey remember that time when we lost in the first round? Or that time when we lost in the second round? Such memories...

Hawks? 1 ECF appearance in our big playoff run. WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Spurs? 5 rings in theirs...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

And how long until we are championship contenders where we refuse to take a step back?  

I have no time table for that.  All I know is that you have to be good before you can be great, and by intentionally becoming bad, you increase the time table to get to the point where you can just be good again.  One of the hardest things in sports to do is to become good when you are bad.  

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That 10 year playoff run got us a lot further than the 1999-2007 seasons did.

If you’re not 1st, you’re last. Be in it to win it, or go home. The teams that think this way (Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, etc) win it all. Those who celebrate 10-year playoff runs filled with 1st-round exits stay there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I have no time table for that.  All I know is that you have to be good before you can be great, and by intentionally becoming bad, you increase the time table to get to the point where you can just be good again.  One of the hardest things in sports to do is to become good when you are bad.  

See Warriors, Cavs, Spurs...

• Like 2

Oakland, Cleveland, and San Antonio mind you. Not exactly cities players clamor for, outside of winning...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Just give a superstar an excuse to move here, and they will. They want to, they just need the proper scenario to do so. I think we’re now heading in that direction. 5 years (counting this year), mark it. 

Edited by hazer

15 minutes ago, hazer said:

If you’re not 1st, you’re last. Be in it to win it, or go home. The teams that think this way (Spurs, Warriors, Cavs, etc) win it all. Those who celebrate 10-year playoff runs filled with 1st-round exits stay there.

None of that is even remotely true.  If you are in it to win it, then why would you ever intentionally make decisions to give yourself less of a chance to win?  Particularly when the chances of you landing that unicorn prospect that is going to single handedly turn your organization around is slim to none.