• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our new GM admits Warriors tanked for Barnes

JTB

10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You mean zero titles and zero Finals appearances? Yep, they are exactly the same. Oh wait, is that not your point?

For 10 years, this team has been in the playoffs and has won games.  That's a lot better that competing for top 5 draft picks on a year to year basis.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, KB21 said:

For 10 years, this team has been in the playoffs and has won games.  That's a lot better that competing for top 5 draft picks on a year to year basis.

Not really. It amounts to the same amount of titles. Well, not quite: we know the Hawks were never, EVER going to win a title with that group but at least picking in the top 5 you might get a guy to take you over that hump.

• Like 1

Just now, Sothron said:

Not really. It amounts to the same amount of titles. Well, not quite: we know the Hawks were never, EVER going to win a title with that group but at least picking in the top 5 you might get a guy to take you over that hump.

Well then.  I guess we can expect the Kings to win the title this year then.  They are the team that has picked in the lottery for the longest amount of time.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well then.  I guess we can expect the Kings to win the title this year then.  They are the team that has picked in the lottery for the longest amount of time.

They haven't drafted well, traded well or signed free agents well. None of that applies to this current Hawks regime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

None of that is even remotely true.  If you are in it to win it, then why would you ever intentionally make decisions to give yourself less of a chance to win?  Particularly when the chances of you landing that unicorn prospect that is going to single handedly turn your organization around is slim to none.

All of it is absolutely, positively, 110% true. The teams that think this way own the last decade’s championships. The teams that don’t own 10-year playoff runs with 1st and 2nd round exits, ECF teases, etc.

One thing that we need to realize with the NBA, and it's unfortunate, but true, but we are not going to see Kansas City Royals like situations anytime soon (where you see a team that plays extremely hard and together to overcome not having the most talent all grow up together in one year and become a champion the next through postseason play). You are not going to see New York Giants teams that simply got red hot in the postseason (like the NFL). It's also not college football, where there is more to it then going for a chip and it is perfectly OK to celebrate simply being a winner and a fun team, even if you don't win anything.

It is not “anything can happen if you simply make the postseason, playing extremely hard, the right way, and growing up together will lead to winning it all” in the NBA and it has never ever been that. You would have to literally have all of the superstar teams have a complete disaster to have a chance. Otherwise? You're the Memphis Grizzlies. A decent team that is a PITA for superstar teams but a decent team that will never win a darned thing.

• Like 2

Menace will be 20+/7+ going forward. Printz will be a 15+/5+ 3 and D guy. Collins will be a nightly double/double macheen. DaFro is a smart, savvy, jack-of-all-trades facilitating 6th man that every winning team needs. That’s a nice base. Add a couple of home runs with our upcoming 5 1st rounders, then a great FA acquisition and you’ll attract a supastah. Finals...

I have no clue where this 5 year stuff came from! Schlenk said 2-3 years and honestly I believe he said just two as far the hawks being a lottery team so that’s what I’m expecting and based on his public interviews/comments it sounds like things will go like this....

Season 1 (2017) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

definitely tanking season 1 to get a high draft pick that could be a game changer.

Season 2 (2018) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

In year 2 Schlenk left me with the idea that we are going to TRY to compete with the youngsters we have (2018 draft pick, Dennis, Prince, Bembry, Collins) for a playoff spot but Schlenk knows we’re likely not to make the playoffs due to age and inexperience plus he’s not going to break the bank in free agency next off season unless there’s major player wanting to come to Atlanta. So all goes to plan for Schlenk and we’ll likely be a lottery team again.

Season 3 (2019) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

By this time Schlenk and bud staff SHOULD have all the pieces they wanted since they have purposely tanked  Schlenks first and second seasons so let’s take a look at what’s likely on the roster by this time...

- two lottery picks (2018,2019)

- 6 year vet in Dennis (4th year starter) and possibly/hopefully already been to the all star game by this time.

- 4th year vets in Prince & Bembry by this time both would have alot more experience and playing time against nba starter level talent.

-3rd year vet in Collins who’s already showing a lot of promise as rookie right now.

....that’s 6 players! 3 of which are Schlenk players drafted and scouted by him. By season 2019-2020 Schlenk , bud, and buds staff should be going into that season (barring no major injuries) putting all effort in getting back into the playoffs and becoming a regular playoff team again. Will it happen that smoothly? Maybe, maybe not but by no means should we be looking at a five year plan!

The plan is 2-3 years of rebuilding and really by year 3 the hawks should be trying to make their way back in the playoffs to start to gain experience for the youngsters.

TWO TO THREE YEAR PLAN! NOT FIVE!....TWO - THREE

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

There has only been 18 franchises to win a Championship. 

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I have no clue where this 5 year stuff came from! Schlenk said 2-3 years and honestly I believe he said just two as far the hawks being a lottery team so that’s what I’m expecting and based on his public interviews/comments it sounds like things will go like this....

Season 1 (2017) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

definitely tanking season 1 to get a high draft pick that could be a game changer.

Season 2 (2018) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

In year 2 Schlenk left me with the idea that we are going to TRY to compete with the youngsters we have (2018 draft pick, Dennis, Prince, Bembry, Collins) for a playoff spot but Schlenk knows we’re likely not to make the playoffs due to age and inexperience plus he’s not going to break the bank in free agency next off season unless there’s major player wanting to come to Atlanta. So all goes to plan for Schlenk and we’ll likely be a lottery team again.

Season 3 (2019) of Schlenk rebuild scheme:

By this time Schlenk and bud staff SHOULD have all the pieces they wanted since they have purposely tanked  Schlenks first and second seasons so let’s take a look at what’s likely on the roster by this time...

- two lottery picks (2018,2019)

- 6 year vet in Dennis (4th year starter) and possibly/hopefully already been to the all star game by this time.

- 4th year vets in Prince & Bembry by this time both would have alot more experience and playing time against nba starter level talent.

-3rd year vet in Collins who’s already showing a lot of promise as rookie right now.

....that’s 6 players! 3 of which are Schlenk players drafted and scouted by him. By season 2019-2020 Schlenk , bud, and buds staff should be going into that season (barring no major injuries) putting all effort in getting back into the playoffs and becoming a regular playoff team again. Will it happen that smoothly? Maybe, maybe not but by no means should we be looking at a five year plan!

The plan is 2-3 years of rebuilding and really by year 3 the hawks should be trying to make their way back in the playoffs to start to gain experience for the youngsters.

TWO TO THREE YEAR PLAN! NOT FIVE!....TWO - THREE

5 came from me. I’m talking about Finals. 2 years? This is year 1. So we’re contending next year? Nope. 

4 hours ago, hazer said:

5 came from me. I’m talking about Finals. 2 years? This is year 1. So we’re contending next year? Nope. 

Finals? Oh ok I was under the impression every one was speaking about just getting back to the playoffs! ....well I’m only concerned with the young group getting back to the playoffs on a consistent basis first starting in 2019/2020 season so technically 3 years.

going back to the playoffs don’t mean we are contenders. We just need that experience with this young group.

It takes time to win a championship and playoffs experience from the whole group but 5 years to get to the finals would be awesome unfortunately I can’t see it but it doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

Edited by JTB

6 hours ago, JTB said:

Finals? Oh ok I was under the impression every one was speaking about just getting back to the playoffs! ....well I’m only concerned with the young group getting back to the playoffs on a consistent basis first starting in 2019/2020 season so technically 3 years.

going back to the playoffs don’t mean we are contenders. We just need that experience with this young group.

It takes time to win a championship and playoffs experience from the whole group but 5 years to get to the finals would be awesome unfortunately I can’t see it but it doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

I’d agree with 3 years back to the playoffs.

We have three definite starters and one ball handling defensive ace coming off the bench moving forward. Thats four out of eight to ten needed rotational players. Don't think three years is so laughable to reach post season especially with how good I think those four will be together by then. Be interesting to see if we can come up with both a quality young big and a SG/swing with our picks next year. Who knows about our backup PG stuff but lets give this IT kid some time and see what develops. Think I'm just going to let the sky fall later, if ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

The NBA Eastern conference is absolute trash. Its going to happen.

Yep should happen no doubt Unless something crazy starts to happen in the east over the next few years like some big time free agents teaming up on multiple east teams but I don’t think that will happen....will it?