• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our new GM admits Warriors tanked for Barnes

JTB

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-gm-says-the-warriors-tanked-the-season-before-drafting-harrison-barnes/amp/

how as a hawk fan would you feel about going through a whole season losing  to get a high draft pick and that player ends up having just the potential of Barnes !

dont get me wrong Barnes is a good player but he’s no game changer and he was raised in the nba under a good coach and system. So I wouldn’t say he’s a flawed player just an “is what he is” type player 

point is tanking is risky & that no longer than 2 or 3 year set back Schlenk was talking about earlier in the off season could turn into a ten year setback easily 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, AHF said:

The last four championships have been won by teams that very intentionally tanked when circumstances made that a logical play.  Anyone who followed the Warriors knows they tanked because they would have lost the pick if they didn't finish low enough.

Except the Kyrie Cavs...those teams weren’t tanking, they were just ass

2 hours ago, JTB said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-gm-says-the-warriors-tanked-the-season-before-drafting-harrison-barnes/amp/

how as a hawk fan would you feel about going through a whole season losing  to get a high draft pick and that player ends up having just the potential of Barnes !

dont get me wrong Barnes is a good player but he’s no game changer and he was raised in the nba under a good coach and system. So I wouldn’t say he’s a flawed player just an “is what he is” type player 

point is tanking is risky & that no longer than 2 or 3 year set back Schlenk was talking about earlier in the off season could turn into a ten year setback easily 

You misread his statement, he said nothing about tanking a whole season.  If a team tanks a whole season and is in fear of not getting a top 7 pick.....they are doing it extremely wrong. 

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

I had much more fun when we went a month not losing and looked like contenders!

I never believed we were contenders though. I had a ton of fun watching that month, by now I just feel so hopeful for the future. If John Collins didn't look so good it wouldn't be fun, and I'd be a lot less hopeful. Watching a guy who just turned 20 dropping double doubles in 20 minutes in half of his first 4 games has my psyched. That could be the kind of player who lures talent to your team in free agency.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I never believed we were contenders though. I had a ton of fun watching that month, by now I just feel so hopeful for the future. If John Collins didn't look so good it wouldn't be fun, and I'd be a lot less hopeful. Watching a guy who just turned 20 dropping double doubles in 20 minutes in half of his first 4 games has my psyched. That could be the kind of player who lures talent to your team in free agency.

Eggzactamundo. This kid is already a double/double macheen right out of the gate in limited playing time with limited experience. If the Colonel has the sense to snag him outside the lottery, I trust his judgement to snag even better IN the lottery. Menace, daFro, and Printz already looking good too. This is the exciting stuff, man!

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

You misread his statement, he said nothing about tanking a whole season.  If a team tanks a whole season and is in fear of not getting a top 7 pick.....they are doing it extremely wrong. 

I think I read it just right for the hawks. To paraphrase Schlenk basically said after curry went down. They decided to restart right then and there and trade monte Ellis for a true center in Andrew Bogut in hopes that if they can get him healthy he can contribute in a big way to the team. However they don’t have to worry about bogut contributing too much since they want a high draft pick so him being injured was fine for them (though healthy he probably still wouldnt have made a huge difference on that roster that year with curry down and Ellis being traded for him)...anyways warriors kill two birds with one stone in trading monte Ellis    1. Get a quality player in bogut who can contribute in a big way if he gets healthy & 2. make sure there was no hope in winning at all (curry & bogut is injured, team isn’t good)so atleast a top 7 pick is in reach .

Let’s fast forward to 2017 where Schlenk is using the same tank strategy (I assume) but with the hawks.

1. We don’t have a curry though I really do like Dennis but the question remains how much does Schlenk like Dennis (I say we will know for sure after the trade deadline of what Schlenks true feelings are about little golidie)

2. We don’t have a player of monte Ellis caliber that a team would really want. That was an easy trade to pull off for the Warriors! The bucks were desperate then! Jennings was inefficient as hell and bogut stayed injured. It’s a no brainer to get another scorer like Ellis and try to pair him with Jennings at that time. Bucks just didn’t have a lot going for them during the Jennings era.

Schlenk is betting that he hits on these draft picks and that’s the scary part. We could take warriors route or a 76ers route where It takes you 4 or 5 number 1-3 draft picks to get that star guy! It’s the luck of the draw but I’m for it this first year. Unfortunately the odds are against us but what the hell try it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hazer said:

Eggzactamundo. This kid is already a double/double macheen right out of the gate in limited playing time with limited experience. If the Colonel has the sense to snag him outside the lottery, I trust his judgement to snag even better IN the lottery. Menace, daFro, and Printz already looking good too. This is the exciting stuff, man!

I hope you’re right! Collins does look good and you can tell he’s still trying to figure things out.

perhaps Schlenk is better at Spotting talent than I thought. Nonetheless still more of a risk than anything 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hazer said:

If the Colonel has the sense to snag him outside the lottery, I trust his judgement to snag even better IN the lottery

Not trying to take anything away from Schlenk right here but Collins landing with us was absolutely silver platter kinda stuff. Schlenk will have a great chance to prove his true mettle this next June no doubt and am looking forward to that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think I read it just right for the hawks. To paraphrase Schlenk basically said after curry went down. They decided to restart right then and there and trade monte Ellis for a true center in Andrew Bogut in hopes that if they can get him healthy he can contribute in a big way to the team. However they don’t have to worry about bogut contributing too much since they want a high draft pick so him being injured was fine for them (though healthy he probably still wouldnt have made a huge difference on that roster that year with curry down and Ellis being traded for him)...anyways warriors kill two birds with one stone in trading monte Ellis    1. Get a quality player in bogut who can contribute in a big way if he gets healthy & 2. make sure there was no hope in winning at all (curry & bogut is injured, team isn’t good)so atleast a top 7 pick is in reach .

Let’s fast forward to 2017 where Schlenk is using the same tank strategy (I assume) but with the hawks.

1. We don’t have a curry though I really do like Dennis but the question remains how much does Schlenk like Dennis (I say we will know for sure after the trade deadline of what Schlenks true feelings are about little golidie)

2. We don’t have a player of monte Ellis caliber that a team would really want. That was an easy trade to pull off for the Warriors! The bucks were desperate then! Jennings was inefficient as hell and bogut stayed injured. It’s a no brainer to get another scorer like Ellis and try to pair him with Jennings at that time. Bucks just didn’t have a lot going for them during the Jennings era.

Schlenk is betting that he hits on these draft picks and that’s the scary part. We could take warriors route or a 76ers route where It takes you 4 or 5 number 1-3 draft picks to get that star guy! It’s the luck of the draw but I’m for it this first year. Unfortunately the odds are against us but what the hell try it.

No, I still think you are misreading and trying to make attributions plus draw conclusions from what he said to the Hawks.  The Warriors did not start their season having any intention of tanking.  Even after Curry’s injury they did not feel they were in a good enough position to tank.....thus why they then did everything to ensure that they’d at best retain their pick.  Your claim was tanking the WHOLE season.  If you tank a whole season and end up with the 7th pick then you failed miserably.   This of course is different from being a fringe playoff/late lotto team that tanks from the ~10th pick to the 7th.  That is a success.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JTB said:

Except the Kyrie Cavs...those teams weren’t tanking, they were just ass

Come on.  If you believe the Cavs got 3 #1 overall picks and other top lottery picks in the space of roughly half a decade without tanking I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.  

• Premium Member

The real question is... WHO would we be tanking for??

I mean... The Baptist and Porter could be one of the best forward combos in a while.   Or maybe one of those Centers??  To me... I can respect a tank plan... as long as it is a plan.  Show me how tanking will look and what do we want to get.  However, if we're just trying to go up in the draft then we will be getting a guy who could be the next Barnes.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You always hope for the franchise changing pick but you plan for every spot in the lottery so you are ready to take the best guy available when your picks comes whether it is 1 or 10.  Few GMs will telegraph their targets or plans.  (Well, few smart ones).

• Like 1