• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our new GM admits Warriors tanked for Barnes

JTB

I seriously doubt that Bud benched Collins to "tank", I have already said that I feel like Bud benched him to ***teach a lesson about how he does on defense***. It wouldn't be surprising if down the road, Bud holds him out a game or two to try to prove his point to Collins on defense.

Which, like I said in a different thread, I'm not sure what's being proven with the guys on the team in my eyes (and with me being 22 years old, I'm in the same age group as Collins and can see things in that mirror), and that proves KB21's point. Not even bothering to try to make a good roster can instill really really awful habits.

Bud's extreme strictness about defense is already actually WORKING with Collins even with y'all whining and complaining about it...he had a very bad reputation at Wake Forest and while there's been lapses at times he's been worlds better than that in the NBA and has the tools to be good on that end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LastDon said:

We are clearly tanking because 18 minutes for Collins the other night against Miami was rediculous! Any coach in America could have saw that kid's impact on the game..smh

I have a problem with stagnating a players development to purposely lose a game! 

Nah Bud just isn't a good coach, that's not a sign of tanking

6 hours ago, JTB said:

I think I read it just right for the hawks. To paraphrase Schlenk basically said after curry went down. They decided to restart right then and there and trade monte Ellis for a true center in Andrew Bogut in hopes that if they can get him healthy he can contribute in a big way to the team. However they don’t have to worry about bogut contributing too much since they want a high draft pick so him being injured was fine for them (though healthy he probably still wouldnt have made a huge difference on that roster that year with curry down and Ellis being traded for him)...anyways warriors kill two birds with one stone in trading monte Ellis    1. Get a quality player in bogut who can contribute in a big way if he gets healthy & 2. make sure there was no hope in winning at all (curry & bogut is injured, team isn’t good)so atleast a top 7 pick is in reach .

Let’s fast forward to 2017 where Schlenk is using the same tank strategy (I assume) but with the hawks.

1. We don’t have a curry though I really do like Dennis but the question remains how much does Schlenk like Dennis (I say we will know for sure after the trade deadline of what Schlenks true feelings are about little golidie)

2. We don’t have a player of monte Ellis caliber that a team would really want. That was an easy trade to pull off for the Warriors! The bucks were desperate then! Jennings was inefficient as hell and bogut stayed injured. It’s a no brainer to get another scorer like Ellis and try to pair him with Jennings at that time. Bucks just didn’t have a lot going for them during the Jennings era.

Schlenk is betting that he hits on these draft picks and that’s the scary part. We could take warriors route or a 76ers route where It takes you 4 or 5 number 1-3 draft picks to get that star guy! It’s the luck of the draw but I’m for it this first year. Unfortunately the odds are against us but what the hell try it.

The 76ers still aren't close to the playoffs.  They have all those draft picks and the same record as the Hawks right now.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, hazer said:

Pretty rare damn air...

Rare air partly because that is someone who is really productive and partly because almost no coach would give someone that productive that few minutes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CP61 said:

The Hawks are tanking and I'm having more fun than I ever had watching basketball

I agree with both you and AHF. The 60 win team was the most fun. This is the 2nd most fun. All I ask for is a rebuild similar to the Brooklyn Nets. I want a young stud in the draft. A prospect who flashing potential like Collins and for us to build a team around our system and style. I don't want any retarded system like Atlanta in 2004. I want quality Basketball with little to no legit NBA talent. I really want to have a top 3 pick this year. A top 5-10 next year and playoffs in year 3. 

I don't want any serious injuries. I want Collins, Bembry and Prince to improve. I want Dennis to be on the shortlist for the ASG. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Rare air partly because that is someone who is really productive and partly because almost no coach would give someone that productive that few minutes.

No reason to give him mins. He's too thin and burns out quickly. He will develop into 28-30 MPG by his 2nd season. Not to mention, he's not all that focus on things that don't directly involve the ball. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

The real question is... WHO would we be tanking for??

I mean... The Baptist and Porter could be one of the best forward combos in a while.   Or maybe one of those Centers??  To me... I can respect a tank plan... as long as it is a plan.  Show me how tanking will look and what do we want to get.  However, if we're just trying to go up in the draft then we will be getting a guy who could be the next Barnes.

I agree. No reason to tank for Marvin Williams or Shelden Williams but there is plenty of reason to tank for Kevin Durant or Karl Anthony-Towns.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree with both you and AHF. The 60 win team was the most fun. This is the 2nd most fun. All I ask for is a rebuild similar to the Brooklyn Nets. I want a young stud in the draft. A prospect who flashing potential like Collins and for us to build a team around our system and style. I don't want any retarded system like Atlanta in 2004. I want quality Basketball with little to no legit NBA talent. I really want to have a top 3 pick this year. A top 5-10 next year and playoffs in year 3. 

I don't want any serious injuries. I want Collins, Bembry and Prince to improve. I want Dennis to be on the shortlist for the ASG. 

You are not getting playoffs in year three with that plan.  Look at the 76ers.  They did exactly what you want to do.  They intentionally fielded terrible rosters, just like Schlenk has done this offseason, and what do they have to show for it?

You think these young players are going to come in and dominate from the very beginning.  You haven't been watching much of what has happened in the league over the past few years.  Most of them will never dominate.  If you are lucky, you might get a player who who a winning caliber player by year three, but then you have to wait on the development of your next draft pick.

Tanking and intentionally fielding bad rosters is NEVER the correct way to built a team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hazer said:

Eggzactamundo. This kid is already a double/double macheen right out of the gate in limited playing time with limited experience. If the Colonel has the sense to snag him outside the lottery, I trust his judgement to snag even better IN the lottery. Menace, daFro, and Printz already looking good too. This is the exciting stuff, man!

Trust no one until we get a championship. I spent a lot of years trusting a lot of guys because they come in and make the obvious decisions out the gate coupled with a fresh set of of eyes, then they get comfortable and think they're smarter than everyone else and we wonder why we get stagnant 

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

You are not getting playoffs in year three with that plan.  Look at the 76ers.  They did exactly what you want to do.  They intentionally fielded terrible rosters, just like Schlenk has done this offseason, and what do they have to show for it?

You think these young players are going to come in and dominate from the very beginning.  You haven't been watching much of what has happened in the league over the past few years.  Most of them will never dominate.  If you are lucky, you might get a player who who a winning caliber player by year three, but then you have to wait on the development of your next draft pick.

Tanking and intentionally fielding bad rosters is NEVER the correct way to built a team.

The Sixers rebuild the way I didn't want. I don't know why you are so hard-headed on this subject. I want a smooth rebuild. 

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Pretty rare damn air...

Haha I really love these random made up stats.

1st player ever to average 2 steals and a three between 10:12 and 08:45 in the 4th qtr over a span of more than 4.53 games while wearing white shoes with blue ties

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Ah, the 123238080 time we've had pro and anti tanking arguments. I'm absolutely POSITIVE people will change their minds this time.

The arguments are always helped by taking single teams as examples and extrapolating from the Thunder or Bobcats what rebuilding is for all teams.  We should all know by now it is anrange that depends almost entirely on the skill and luck that comes in the draft and that results vary dramatically.

• Like 4

Really good post from everyone! I’m personally not anti tank or for tank necessarily but I just want what’s best for team however each scenario has its up’s and downs. We know the hawks can’t truly be contenders until we get a few stars on the team.

And since we can’t pull stars in free agency and the players we currently have we are on a wait and see with them and their potential, I may have to lean towards the tank plan so we can get one of these extremely high potential top draft picks. 

With that said I’m not in favor of going about free agency like we did this past off season. This past off season  Schlenk clearly gave the message we are going after a top draft pick. Ok well that’s fine for one year but next off season we should really pick up as many quality players as we can get all on good contracts.

i with the tank this year but I can’t get behind another tank next year just to get another lottery pick. 

My Plan:

1. Tank this season 

2. Draft a top player (hopefully Michael Porter Jr) to pair with Dennis, Prince, Bembry, Collins

3. Pick up quality free agents who’s willing to come to Atlanta but don’t break the bank for them, just get good quality players. Make good trades if there’s one out there, etc.

4. Go into the 2018/19 season trying to make the playoffs and if it doesn’t happen fine but I don’t want to just purposely tank again like we are doing this season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

The arguments are always helped by taking single teams as examples and extrapolating from the Thunder or Bobcats what rebuilding is for all teams.  We should all know by now it is anrange that depends almost entirely on the skill and luck that comes in the draft and that results vary dramatically.

So in other words it can be a great option but also an extremely poor one too at the same time! ....hmmmmm

being an nba gm in this era is tough especially for smaller markets. Somehow Sam Presti makes it look oh so easy.

I think tanking is unnecessary given you can find players like Collins/Prince/Bembry outside the lottery (not to mention other players)... problem is you have to be smart in FA/Trade if you're not tanking and between signing Baze/Howard to big deals and also not capitalizing on trading Millsap/Horford before it was too late we missed that boat. We probably could've flipped Sap for Nurkic + Pick last year, for example, and in hindsight that would've kickstarted our rebuild good. Stay flexible and don't worry too much about playoffs, just keep landing assets and playing hard.

Edited by TheFuzz