• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lakers trying to clear salary space....

lush23

Lakers are supposedly shopping Jordan Clarkston, Larry Nance Jr. & Julius Randle.  I would love to have Clarkston & Nance with the Hawks.  I would offer Belinelli & Ersan plus one of the two late 1st rounders.  They get cap space for next year plus a #1 pick.  Clarkston could start at 2 spot or backup at point.  Nance is a very good rebounder and both are still young.

• Like 1

• Admin

That is actually not that bad a trade and works for both teams ... I am not the biggest Clarkson fan as he doesn't play D and is at all and is overpaid (he is a good scorer who can play either guard position... he would be a good 6th man) ...  I am very intrigued by Nance Jr.  

That's a fair and balanced trade.

Realistically, with 4 draft picks currently we can afford to let one of them go. The contract might not be ideal, but Clarkson would be a lot better than Delaney as a combo guard. Nance I wouldn't mind off the bench either. That's a great return for two expiring deals.

Someone needs to tell Schlenk to get on the phone.

I think Clarkson is trash if you are trying to use him outside of simply scoring which Atlanta does with everyone. I would have more interest in Nance than anyone they listed. I don't see the fit with Randle or Clarkson 

Clarkson would play Delaney's role off the bench and at least be more effective in the same role. I thought he'd make a bigger step this season, but I honestly don't mind his contract for what he produces. Getting a combo guard with his size is not common, and with better shot selection + sessions with Jent I don't see why he can't become a 40+ 3pt % shooter which would be perfect off the bench.

With Randle I agree we don't have much use for a guy with his skillset, but he's been productive. Depending on how much cap space we'd be left with I'd be all over this deal.

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

Clarkson would play Delaney's role off the bench and at least be more effective in the same role. I thought he'd make a bigger step this season, but I honestly don't mind his contract for what he produces. Getting a combo guard with his size is not common, and with better shot selection + sessions with Jent I don't see why he can't become a 40+ 3pt % shooter which would be perfect off the bench.

With Randle I agree we don't have much use for a guy with his skillset, but he's been productive. Depending on how much cap space we'd be left with I'd be all over this deal.

Bud don't use people in an one dimension manner. You have to play defense and be versatile on offense. Clarkson is mainly just a scorer

Bud don't use people in an one dimension manner. You have to play defense and be versatile on offense. Clarkson is mainly just a scorer

Bellinelli? Delaney? Hell, even Schröder at times? I realize the first two aren't major pieces, but they still get a lot of playtime without providing much defense. In a different situation maybe Clarkson would improve defensively. Maybe that's not even us, but I think he'd be a quality acquisition if we could pull it off. We don't really need anymore picks for our expiring contracts. I'd rather buy low on some talent that we could hopefully improve for the future. I think Clarkson still fits that description.

3 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bellinelli? Delaney? Hell, even Schröder at times? I realize the first two aren't major pieces, but they still get a lot of playtime without providing much defense. In a different situation maybe Clarkson would improve defensively. Maybe that's not even us, but I think he'd be a quality acquisition if we could pull it off. We don't really need anymore picks for our expiring contracts. I'd rather buy low on some talent that we could hopefully improve for the future. I think Clarkson still fits that description.

Just because those guys you named have limitations doesn't equal they don't try to do a lot. Clarkson doesn't try to do a lot but score. It's like when we had Lou Will. He is a great scorer and clearly better than Clarkson but he didn't fit due to only being able to do what he does. Clarkson isn't a buy low. He just isn't that good and his impact is scoring based.  

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is not the window to improve our talent this season.  We need to be collecting future assets not present ones.

I agree with this, but a late round first for a proven asset is a better deal IMO.  We haven't gotten great value from our first-rounders in recent years.  Schröder is the only one that has stuck and I'm not sure he's a part of our future either. Clarkson and/or Nance would great and if the TH Jr trade is any indication, Bud values young NBA talent over draft picks too.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I agree with this, but a late round first for a proven asset is a better deal IMO.  We haven't gotten great value from our first-rounders in recent years.  Schröder is the only one that has stuck and I'm not sure he's a part of our future either. Clarkson and/or Nance would great and if the TH Jr trade is any indication, Bud values young NBA talent over draft picks too.

I'm fine flipping picks for proven assets -- but only once we are out of the window where we want to lose every game possible.  (And where winning an extra 3 games could cost you dearly come the draft).

Just because those guys you named have limitations doesn't equal they don't try to do a lot. Clarkson doesn't try to do a lot but score. It's like when we had Lou Will. He is a great scorer and clearly better than Clarkson but he didn't fit due to only being able to do what he does. Clarkson isn't a buy low. He just isn't that good and his impact is scoring based.  

Clarkson isn't a world beater, but I think he's better than you give him credit for. Yeah he's a scorer with the mentality of Lou Williams or Jamal Crawford, but those guys can win you games. A good coach I think will find a way to play then without letting them shoot you out of a game constantly. And Clarkson is one of the best finishers in the league at the rim, so I think if we made an effort to change his shot selection, he could improve on what he already does.

Even though you can't project everybody is going to play with more efficiency the second they don a Hawks jersey, if we take the offensive game Clarkson already has and make him more well rounded, we're talking a 6MOY candidate making 12 mil a season. That's a bargain.

This is not the window to improve our talent this season.  We need to be collecting future assets not present ones.

Even though the main objective is to lose games, I don't think we can afford to miss out on potential deals like this, if Clarkson is a talent you value anyways. Unless we draft a guy who doesn't play right away, I expect us to be close to a playoff team next year. Which to me means we need to add some other quality players to the team especially before Prince's extension comes up.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:
8 hours ago, AHF said:

Even though the main objective is to lose games, I don't think we can afford to miss out on potential deals like this, if Clarkson is a talent you value anyways. Unless we draft a guy who doesn't play right away, I expect us to be close to a playoff team next year. Which to me means we need to add some other quality players to the team especially before Prince's extension comes up.

I just don't think Clarkson is that great.  He will be a pending free agent before we are good enough to matter (i.e., that assumes we are playoff ready after next season) so you aren't getting a long-term asset anyway.  You are just getting someone who will win you a few extra games in a year when the race to the bottom will be super tight.

I just don't think Clarkson is that great.  He will be a pending free agent before we are good enough to matter (i.e., that assumes we are playoff ready after next season) so you aren't getting a long-term asset anyway.  You are just getting someone who will win you a few extra games in a year when the race to the bottom will be super tight.

I think we could be a playoff team next year, if we make the right moves. To me, we have until Prince's extension to figure out what our core is. I'm fine with tanking this season, but past this year I don't think we will keep it up.

Looking forward to the 2019 draft there's nobody I look at and say that guy could lead the franchise (maybe RJ Barret?). Between Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic are 3 potential game changers and you still have Young, Bamba and Porter Jr. who could change a franchises' future. Of course guys will emerge by the time the 2019 draft comes around, and even this year isn't over, but the strength of this class is what sold me on this rebuild.

With that said, I think a 1 year tank is our best bet do we can return to being a respectable franchise. I'm not worried about not being able to sign superstars, but I don't think we can carry the title of being the league's worst team for too long. So while a guy like Clarkson isn't going to make us a contender, he could fill a vital role without being too expensive over the next 3 seasons. If we can get picks for Bellinelli/Ilyasova we could find a way to dump Plumlee in the off-season and replace his money with Clarkson. Then, if we draft Doncic or a big, we're a few signing away from being a really good team with a lot of potential. I'm talking maybe 2 guys away. We play good basketball even if we don't have good players. I don't think it should take us more than 2 years to get those guys.