• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks draft prospects watch- AJC

frosgrim

Wendell Carter is one of my favorites in this draft.  I love players who have a great feel for the game, and Carter does.  I don't like to compare players, but Carter has a lot of Al Horford in him.  If the Hawks can get an Al Horford type success with this pick, then that is a stunning success for the team.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Wendell Carter is one of my favorites in this draft.  I love players who have a great feel for the game, and Carter does.  I don't like to compare players, but Carter has a lot of Al Horford in him.  If the Hawks can get an Al Horford type success with this pick, then that is a stunning success for the team.

Cunnigham is also high on Carter.  If no one read it, read Cunnigham's analysis of Bagley. Bottom line is Bagley has short arms, and the history of guys with short arms being a success in the NBA, especially at the power positions is not very good. 

I would like someone better than Horford with the lotto pick, but we could do a lot worse than another Horford. 

I think MC may be doing one of the most comprehensive scouting reports on the top college players. If he could keep from the political talk on twitter, I'd recommend anyone to follow him...but he does get pretty annoying with all the anti-Trump crap. 

Anyway, if we miss out on Ayton and Doncic, I'd love to get both Trae Young and Carter. Lots of "ifs" I know, but if Orlando drops to 7-8th pick, would they trade their pick for Dennis? In this scenario, we have the 4-5th pick and we get Young and then Carter with Orlando's pick. 

1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I think MC may be doing one of the most comprehensive scouting reports on the top college players. If he could keep from the political talk on twitter, I'd recommend anyone to follow him...but he does get pretty annoying with all the anti-Trump crap. 

Anyway, if we miss out on Ayton and Doncic, I'd love to get both Trae Young and Carter. Lots of "ifs" I know, but if Orlando drops to 7-8th pick, would they trade their pick for Dennis? In this scenario, we have the 4-5th pick and we get Young and then Carter with Orlando's pick. 

I stopped following him for that reason.

• Premium Member

If we were to get either Doncic or Young, how would anyone feel about getting Robert Williams with the Minnesota Pick? I know he and Collins both live in the paint, but I like his length and defense.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 0:16 PM, frosgrim said:

Cunnigham is also high on Carter.  If no one read it, read Cunnigham's analysis of Bagley. Bottom line is Bagley has short arms, and the history of guys with short arms being a success in the NBA, especially at the power positions is not very good. 

I would like someone better than Horford with the lotto pick, but we could do a lot worse than another Horford. 

Bagley's wingspan is short compared to the bigs in this class and its a concern.  Its especially a concern if he is to be a full time C......which on our roster he would probably be as long as he is paired with Collins.

However, this should be part of the conversation as well:

Al Horford's wingspan at the combine was 8'11''. Al Horford is also very robotic and mechanical with his athletic ability. Bagley's wingspan is 9'0.5'' and he is far more fluid and more explosive of an athlete than the robotic Horford was in his prime.

Horford and Cater compare favorably in the half court. Carter has an edge with length but Horford runs the floor much better.

• Like 1