• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk states we will take bad contracts for picks

NBASupes

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I predicted this too.  Taking on bad contracts means not skimping on the payroll to save money.  It means investing the money in picks rather than vets.

I agree.  Given the situation the team is in, they need to be thinking about maximizing draft capital for the next two drafts and then figuring out what they have and what they need to add.  Obviously if they hit a home run in this draft that might move the timing up a year, but that is unlikely.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It means committing to multiple losing seasons in the name of being young and fun.

Said it before but I won't lie - I expect us to be in the lottery again next season.  With the revamped odds, I'd guess we'll finish a little better than this season.  I will almost certainly be predicting another losing year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Said it before but I won't lie - I expect us to be in the lottery again next season.  With the revamped odds, I'd guess we'll finish a little better than this season.  I will almost certainly be predicting another losing year.

Oh, next year is going to be worse than this year.  And if Bud leaves, then you are looking at a possible 10 win season for the Hawks next year.  I have no doubts the Hawks will not be looking to compete for at least 5 years.  Like I said, Winter is here.

Not the news I want to hear. We could make this a quick turnaround, if the guy we draft is as good as I hope, but this signals a Sixer's like rebuild, which KB21 obviously has warned us of the entire time. There's no reason to saddle ourselves with bad contracts when it's gonna waste the time we have with players overproducing on their rookie deals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Not the news I want to hear. We could make this a quick turnaround, if the guy we draft is as good as I hope, but this signals a Sixer's like rebuild, which KB21 obviously has warned us of the entire time. There's no reason to saddle ourselves with bad contracts when it's gonna waste the time we have with players overproducing on their rookie deals.

This was never going to be a quick turnaround.  Not with the way Schlenk went about doing this.

59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Oh, next year is going to be worse than this year.  And if Bud leaves, then you are looking at a possible 10 win season for the Hawks next year.  I have no doubts the Hawks will not be looking to compete for at least 5 years.  Like I said, Winter is here.

It will be terrible if Bud leaves, but what makes you think he wouldn’t have been even more discouraged by a capped-out, 35-win Howard/Millsap squad with a worse draft pick?

Most people aren’t as giddy with that type of team as you are.  Most of us find it more depressing than what we’ve got. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

It will be terrible if Bud leaves, but what makes you think he wouldn’t have been even more discouraged by a capped-out, 35-win Howard/Millsap squad with a worse draft pick?

Most people aren’t as giddy with that type of team as you are.  Most of us find it more depressing than what we’ve got. 

That's because the people who buy into this line that it is better to suck for eternity than actually compete are backwards in their thinking on this subject.  It's all based on the hope that this mythical unicorn player is going to come into the organization with a high draft pick and drastically alter the course the team is currently on.  The reason he would stay on for that squad is because that squad would have been competitive and not the G-League level team you currently see.

58 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Eh. Depends on what contracts we're talking about. If they expire in the summer of 19 or 20 that's not too egregious. And the Sixers were bad for 4 years. Could be worse.

5 hours ago, JTB said:

Yup reading between the lines that’s exactly what he means but the draft picks could very well be for this year or future drafts....which kinda makes it less exciting but I’m with you man ...if you can get one of the Bridges by taking on a bad salary to move up it’s a no brainer 

one can only hope we get that lucky as well as getting the number 1 pick.

I actually would much, MUCH rather get future picks with lightish protections. We've got 4 picks in this draft already, if we can get picks for the summer of '20 and beyond that would be big time. We could go into every draft with options.

Just now, TheFuzz said:

I actually would much, MUCH rather get future picks with lightish protections. We've got 4 picks in this draft already, if we can get picks for the summer of '20 and beyond that would be big time. We could go into every draft with options.

....and no hope of ever winning again.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

....and no hope of ever winning again.

Like Philly, Houston and Boston? The three teams that explicitly acquired multiple future picks? Getting quality future picks from other franchises actually ALLOWS us to compete because we've got solid assets from other teams! You of all people should be for that!

Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Like Philly, Houston and Boston? The three teams that explicitly acquired multiple future picks? Getting quality future picks from other franchises actually ALLOWS us to compete because we've got solid assets from other teams! You of all people should be for that!

So, I should be for losing and not doing anything to help this team win now?

44 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's because the people who buy into this line that it is better to suck for eternity than actually compete are backwards in their thinking on this subject

Nobody thinks that. 

46 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's all based on the hope that this mythical unicorn player is going to come into the organization with a high draft pick and drastically alter the course the team is currently on.

It isn't necessary to get a "mythical unicorn" in the draft.  All that is necessary is to build an interesting core of talented players who fit our system to be competitive gain, but with the flexibility to make trades and sign free agents.  If we do that, we will be in a much better position than we were.  Now, if we can actually land a franchise talent in the lottery, then all the better.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I predicted this too.  Taking on bad contracts means not skimping on the payroll to save money.  It means investing the money in picks rather than vets.

But he is skimping on the payroll to save money.  The bad contracts simply mean that the Hawks need to get to the salary cap floor.  He's courting teams like the Cavaliers, who are in Luxury Tax hell, partially because of the contracts given to JR Smith and Tristan Thompson.

So he's like . . . if you send us a 1st and Tristian, we'll make a deal and give you someone like Kent Bazemore or Dennis Schröder.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Anybody seen Devin Booker's rant.  That's what losing does to a player.   If Phoenix doesn't make a significant move to be a competitive team, Devin is going to force his way out of Phoenix.

Once that happens, then what for Phoenix?

Lmao force his way out byyyyyy... he is there for AT LEAST 2 more seasons and if not they can trade him for a kings ransom because he is locked down by UFA to whoever he is traded to so there is more value there. Booker also said "turning the franchise around and getting it back how it used to be." "You watch the highlights of [Charles] Barkley, [Steve] Nash and them and how alive the arena was," Booker said. "So, one of my goals is to get it back that way."

Edited by davis171
  • Like 2