• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk states we will take bad contracts for picks

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Lmao force his way out byyyyyy... he is there for AT LEAST 2 more seasons and if not they can trade him for a kings ransom because he is locked down by UFA to whoever he is traded to so there is more value there.

The last season in his contract will be the Qualifying Offer.   He can refuse to sign the big money extension with the Suns next summer, and instead take the QO for the 2019 - 20 season, making him an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2020.   If he does that, Phoenix loses him for nothing . . and they know that.

So if he makes a lot of noise about being unhappy next season, Phoenix can deal Booker to another team, and possibly get something back from him.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The last season in his contract will be the Qualifying Offer.   He can refuse to sign the big money extension with the Suns next summer, and instead take the QO for the 2019 - 20 season, making him an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2020.   If he does that, Phoenix loses him for nothing . . and they know that.

So if he makes a lot of noise about being unhappy next season, Phoenix can deal Booker to another team, and possibly get something back from him.

Everyone is taking what he said differnt than what he meant I think lol. He said Booker's goal is "turning the franchise around and getting it back how it used to be." "You watch the highlights of [Charles] Barkley, [Steve] Nash and them and how alive the arena was," Booker said. "So, one of my goals is to get it back that way." How many times in NBA history has what you said happened...

Edited by davis171

I actually think taking on 2 years or less bad contracts is a, way to shorten the rebuild significantly. The bad contacts will come off the books right when you need to pay Taurean etc. 

For example I want Ayton but if we pick 3rd, 4th or 5th he won't be there. We could take Doncic or Porter Jr and take on the last two years of Noah's contract for the Knicks pick and draft Collins perfect running mate Wendel Carter Jr at 9. Or take 2 years of Marvin Williams get Charlotte 11 pick. I need someone I like to be there though. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

I actually think taking on 2 years or less bad contracts is a, way to shorten the rebuild significantly. The bad contacts will come off the books right when you need to pay Taurean etc. 

For example I want Ayton but if we pick 3rd, 4th or 5th he won't be there. We could take Doncic or Porter Jr and take on the last two years of Noah's contract for the Knicks pick and draft Collins perfect running mate Wendel Carter Jr at 9. Or take 2 years of Marvin Williams get Charlotte 11 pick. I need someone I like to be there though. 

Which is why I was focused on Faried in a hypothetical trade with Denver.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

Yup reading between the lines that’s exactly what he means but the draft picks could very well be for this year or future drafts....which kinda makes it less exciting but I’m with you man ...if you can get one of the Bridges by taking on a bad salary to move up it’s a no brainer 

one can only hope we get that lucky as well as getting the number 1 pick.

I took it to mean that he'll take Naoh for #9

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I’ve been through this already in the tank thread.  That virtually never happens.  There is literally 3 players that have done that (Ben Gordon, Greg Monroe, and Nerlens Noel) and it was entirely because they wanted more money, not anything to do with losing.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, DBac said:

Man #9 aint enough for Noah's contract.

What?  We're not in winning now mode so what difference does it make?  He's an albatross.  Hell, We can put him in a Harry the hawks suit and put him on a bike and send him to every business opening around town for all the money he makes... it won't matter.   The question is what's present at 9 that would make it worth our while.   Is the future at 9?  Is another shot at winning the lottery worth this bad contract?

What if this trade really nets us #1 overall and #4 along with 18 and 30?  Would you care about Noah at all?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Not the news I want to hear. We could make this a quick turnaround, if the guy we draft is as good as I hope, but this signals a Sixer's like rebuild, which KB21 obviously has warned us of the entire time. There's no reason to saddle ourselves with bad contracts when it's gonna waste the time we have with players overproducing on their rookie deals.

From everything I've seen, Knicks fans have zero interest in trading that pick to move Noah. He is a cut candidate for them.

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But he is skimping on the payroll to save money.  The bad contracts simply mean that the Hawks need to get to the salary cap floor.  He's courting teams like the Cavaliers, who are in Luxury Tax hell, partially because of the contracts given to JR Smith and Tristan Thompson.

So he's like . . . if you send us a 1st and Tristian, we'll make a deal and give you someone like Kent Bazemore or Dennis Schröder.

We were well above the salary floor.  We had a higher payroll than last year.  Why?  Because we took on bad contracts like Jamal Crawford.  You should know this.

2 hours ago, CBAreject said:

It will be terrible if Bud leaves, but what makes you think he wouldn’t have been even more discouraged by a capped-out, 35-win Howard/Millsap squad with a worse draft pick?

Most people aren’t as giddy with that type of team as you are.  Most of us find it more depressing than what we’ve got. 

We'd be a 45+ win team, simply because by retaining Howard & Millsap, we would been a top 10 defense.

I'm not as "doom and gloom" as KB is about our future.  But the only thing that 2 - 3 losing seasons is going to do, is make the fan base long for the days in which we were at least mediocre.

The Hawks are going to get 2 shots to land a big time player in the next 2 drafts, and one shot to land a big time free agent in the summer of 2020.  If neither happens by then, we all better buckle up for an extended period of losing.

They CANNOT miss on this lottery pick.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We'd be a 45+ win team, simply because by retaining Howard & Millsap, we would been a top 10 defense.

I'm not as "doom and gloom" as KB is about our future.  But the only thing that 2 - 3 losing seasons is going to do, is make the fan base long for the days in which we were at least mediocre.

The Hawks are going to get 2 shots to land a big time player in the next 2 drafts, and one shot to land a big time free agent in the summer of 2020.  If neither happens by then, we all better buckle up for an extended period of losing.

They CANNOT miss on this lottery pick.

You realize Ilya had more WS than Sap this year?  Sap was an almost complete non-impact this season.  Way down by every metric (over last year when he was way down over the prior year) and missed half the season.  That leaves you counting on Dwight.  You'll have to remind me how much better Charlotte was year over year after adding him.

Just now, AHF said:

You realize Ilya had more WS than Sap this year?  Sap was an almost complete non-impact this season.  Way down by every metric (over last year when he was way down over the prior year) and missed half the season.

And we had a negative point differential in the weaker conference with those guys when they were a year younger.  Amazing how some fans think we could’ve stood pat and actually improved with an aging, mediocre core that probably overachieved by playing over .500. Ooh yes, I long for the days of getting out scored for the season.  

Just now, AHF said:

You realize Ilya had more WS than Sap this year?  Sap was an almost complete non-impact this season.  Way down by every metric (over last year when he was way down over the prior year) and missed half the season.

I'm talking about if Sap was healthy.   If he were healthy, this team is easily a playoff team.

As for Ilyasova, he and Sap had the exact same WS/48 number ( .106 ) . . if you count Ily's time as a Hawk, and not as a Sixer.

It's all good though.  

1 minute ago, CBAreject said:

And we had a negative point differential in the weaker conference with those guys when they were a year younger.  Amazing how some fans think we could’ve stood pat and actually improved with an aging, mediocre core that probably overachieved by playing over .500. Ooh yes, I long for the days of getting out scored for the season.  

We could've.  Because the very young guys that you're banking on improving for the future, would've also improved this year, had we not tried to tank the season.

Last year's squad was pretty much derailed by the piss poor play of Bazemore, and the lackluster play of the bench.  This year's version of Bazemore was at least a ( + ) player overall.

But like I said, it's cool. 

We bet not miss on this draft pick.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm talking about if Sap was healthy.   If he were healthy, this team is easily a playoff team.

As for Ilyasova, he and Sap had the exact same WS/48 number ( .106 ) . . if you count Ily's time as a Hawk, and not as a Sixer.

It's all good though.  

I wouldn't assume health for a guy that needed reconstructive shoulder surgery and having the same WS/48 as Ilya is exactly what I am talking about.  How much impact did Ilya make this year?  That is just a sad statement on how much he fell off.  That said, he already fell way off last season when he was near career lows in pretty much every category.

1 hour ago, davis171 said:

Which is why I was focused on Faried in a hypothetical trade with Denver.

You have to spend 90% of the cap regardless.  Long bad contracts kill you. Well have 5 + players on rookie deals the next two years. To get Carter Jr, Bamba, or Mikal bridges I think 9 is where you need to be. One of them will fall. 14 ain't going to get it done. You can get Williams there, but you need an elite shooting scorer like Harden to make him effective like Capella. With our poor shooting teams will sag off Dennis and Baze and take him out of the game. We saw this happen to Collins all year. Collins and Williams is a great defensive and rebounding pairing, but not ideal offensively. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I wouldn't assume health for a guy that needed reconstructive shoulder surgery and having the same WS/48 as Ilya is exactly what I am talking about.  How much impact did Ilya make this year?  That is just a sad statement on how much he fell off.  That said, he already fell way off last season.

Sap will be ready to go next season.  And he's in a decent position, seeing that he doesn't have to be the #1 scoring option on the Nuggets.  He can function as the high priced #2 option, while also still being the 2nd most versatile player on the team.   Next season, Denver will be in a very good situation to not only make the playoffs, but challenge for a top 4 seed.

Just now, ATLien_ said:

You have to spend 90% of the cap regardless.  Long bad contracts kill you. Well have 5 + players on rookie deals the next two years. To get Carter Jr, Bamba, or Mikal bridges I think 9 is where you need to be. One of them will fall. 14 ain't going to get it done. You can get Williams there, but you need an elite shooting scorer like Harden to make him effective like Capella. With our poor shooting teams will sag off Dennis and Baze and take him out of the game. We saw this happen to Collins all year. Collins and Williams is a great defensive and rebounding pairing, but not ideal offensively. 

14 can be Knox, Gilgeous, Miles Bridges, Lonnie Walker, Robert Williams, etc all of whom I like 

• Like 1