• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Then why don't you see a team in Charlotte who desperately needs cap relief moving on from him for better assets???? The Hornets were using Kemba as trade bait to take some of the cap away! Nobody wants Dwight Howard making 20+ million a year. Plumlee's contract is significantly less per year. We shed 12+ million in the trade for this coming off-season.

Maybe because they value his play and contract. 

If Howard were dealt again, it wouldn’t be because he’s been a disappointment, but rather because he’s matched even the highest individual expectations. This was his fifth game this season of 20 or more rebounds, the most by any player in a Hornets season. Clifford, who coached Howard as an assistant with the Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers, says that’s a tribute to how phenomenally well Howard takes care of his body in-season and out-of-season.

“If I went back and told our trainers in Orlando, and our strength coaches, that he was going to be playing at this level now, with the state that his knee was back then, they would have said, ‘No way,’” Clifford said postgame.

“You’re talking about a guy that’s had major knee surgery and major back surgery ... You’d never know it.”

Howard has played every one of the Hornets’ 58 games this season, and doesn’t ask out of practices for so-called “vet days.”

“Look back at it every year: Unless he’s had surgery, he plays every night,” Clifford said. “He never asks out of practice. He didn’t when he was young, he didn’t in L.A., and he hasn’t here.”

This is from Feb 22, 2018

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Maybe because they value his play and contract. 

This is from Feb 22, 2018

More so than Kemba Walker their all star? They have had a terrible year lol why keep him other than you can't get rid of him.

Edited by davis171

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Boston acquired PP via lottery pick.  Traded a lottery pick for Allen and traded another two lottery picks and other assets (including Al Jefferson and Gerald Green both drafted by Boston) for KG.

Boston doesn't end up with any of those players without lottery picks.

So do you think that we're going to trade our lottery pick for a star player??  

Think about that for one moment.  The Hawks will spend this season to tank and then we will trade our lottery dream for a player already playing.  

If that we're the case, I would be all for it.  If we could trade our Lottery pick for Kawhi Leonard then I would be all over it.   Hell, This year's lottery pick and a pick in 2020 for Kawhi resigned.   

What do you think about that?

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, davis171 said:

More so than Kemba Walker their all star? they have had a terrible year lol why keep him other than you can't get rid of him.

He has been fine this year.  He clearly no longer can carry teams to win but he is contributing just how you would expect him to with low rate, high efficiency scoring, stellar rebounding and the strength to hold position inside.  That role seems to be worth less than ever before in the NBA but I don't think it is legit to criticize what he has done this year.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, davis171 said:

More so than Kemba Walker their all star? They have had a terrible year lol why keep him other than you can't get rid of him.

First off, Jordan said that he would only trade Kemba for an allstar.   Moreover, the Charlotte brass see value in the future for Kemba.  Meaning that he's about to become a UFA in 2019.   Do they chance him pulling a KD?  They would have to move him sooner rather than later if they wanted an allstar in return.

Just now, AHF said:

He has been fine this year.  He clearly no longer can carry teams to win but he is contributing just how you would expect him to with low rate, high efficiency scoring, stellar rebounding and the strength to hold position inside.  That role seems to be worth less than ever before in the NBA but I don't think it is legit to criticize what he has done this year.

I never did. I only said the contract doesn't match the production. In today's NBA he can't finish big games. he is only an asset at 8-12 million imo.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

So do you think that we're going to trade our lottery pick for a star player??  

Think about that for one moment.  The Hawks will spend this season to tank and then we will trade our lottery dream for a player already playing.  

If that we're the case, I would be all for it.  If we could trade our Lottery pick for Kawhi Leonard then I would be all over it.   Hell, This year's lottery pick and a pick in 2020 for Kawhi resigned.   

What do you think about that?

I'm all for acquiring an MVP-level talent.  Kawhi fits that.  If he comes on the market, I'd sure as heck start leveraging our draft assets to try to land him -- especially if we could do it with a combo like Taurean Prince, our 2019 pick, Tyler Dorsey and Baze (somewhat similar to Boston's package for KG).  Now Pops would be unlikely to buy that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

I'm all for acquiring an MVP-level talent.  Kawhi fits that.  If he comes on the market, I'd sure as heck start leveraging our draft assets to try to land him -- especially if we could do it with a combo like Taurean Prince, our 2019 pick, Tyler Dorsey and Baze (somewhat similar to Boston's package for KG).  Now Pops would be unlikely to buy that.

Here's where you and I agree. 

However, most tankers have already made themselves believe that the pick is going to be Lebron.  They think that we're going to miss out on Pau Gasol again when it was evident that we were going to pick Battier. 

I would use that combo or I would send 2 1st rounders (including this years lottery pick) for Kawhi. 

It's a Pistonian thing to do. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

However, most tankers have already made themselves believe that the pick is going to be Lebron.  They think that we're going to miss out on Pau Gasol again when it was evident that we were going to pick Battier. 

I would use that combo or I would send 2 1st rounders (including this years lottery pick) for Kawhi. 

We could have Kawhi and room for max FA(s).  Wouldn't pass on that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I have said multiple times I am looking for us to make the best use of the valuable assets we have. Dwight at 23+ million no matter how you draw it up is not a player worth that much especially to a hawks team that wouldn't have cap space had we kept him. I am going to agree with you it was a stupid trade IF the cap space is used unwisely this offseason, however I will be surprised if Schlenk made the trade without specific offseason moves in mind. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, davis171 said:

I have said multiple times I am looking for us to make the best use of the valuable assets we have. Dwight at 23+ million no matter how you draw it up is not a player worth that much especially to a hawks team that wouldn't have cap space had we kept him. I am going to agree with you it was a stupid trade IF the cap space is used unwisely this offseason, however I will be surprised if Schlenk made the trade without specific offseason moves in mind. 

I don't think it was much about this offseason - just a decision that we weren't going to win anything with Dwight and so you better unload him and focus time on guys who will be here when the team looks to get back into playoff contention.  I don't expect we will sign a bunch of players this offseason but do expect we will try to sign some cheap guys we might keep long-term (ala Dedmon) and/or rent that cap space for picks ala Crawford.  I think Schlenk will not go into this offseason with specific moves in mind as much as bargain hunting to try to identify opportunities to collect assets.  

I think the 2019 offseason would be the first time we might try to go in big for FAs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think it was much about this offseason - just a decision that we weren't going to win anything with Dwight and so you better unload him and focus time on guys who will be here when the team looks to get back into playoff contention.  I don't expect we will sign a bunch of players this offseason but do expect we will try to sign some cheap guys we might keep long-term (ala Dedmon) and/or rent that cap space for picks ala Crawford.  I think Schlenk will not go into this offseason with specific moves in mind as much as bargain hunting to try to identify opportunities to collect assets.  

I think the 2019 offseason would be the first time we might try to go in big for FAs.

I'm not saying big names closer to lottery tickets ala Sap and DMC.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, davis171 said:

I'm not saying big names closer to lottery tickets ala Sap and DMC.

I don't think we start signing solid vets to help us win until we have some stars or potential stars in place.  Until then, I expect a couple Dedmon type exploratory deals but nothing that will prevent us from making 1-2 max offers when we are ready.  DMC's original deal certainly fits that and Sap's might as well but not any of their subsequent deals.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Kinda worried about Kawhi and his injures so I might pass on him

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't think we start signing solid vets to help us win until we have some stars or potential stars in place.  Until then, I expect a couple Dedmon type exploratory deals but nothing that will prevent us from making 1-2 max offers when we are ready.  DMC's original deal certainly fits that and Sap's might as well but not any of their subsequent deals.

i.e.....more tanking and more crappy roster decisions and construction.

20 minutes ago, JTB said:

Getting back on track....did anyone like what they saw from Porter Jr.? 

I know he didn’t have the best game but he had a good +/- while on the floor.

Yeah he had a rough game but is rusty. But I can see why he’s in the lotto.  I’m warm on him and since we may not be picking top 2 am currentlyu deciding between him, Jackson and bagley. His brother looks like a guy I’d like the hawks to think about.

Edited by Royjr9
  • Like 1

Question for the pro tankers.  Minnesota, with their two #1 overall picks, is currently in danger of missing out on the playoffs.  They have fallen to the 6th slot and are only 2.5 games up on the team in the 9th spot right now.  How can this be?  Surely those generational stars they got with the #1 overall picks can offset the loss of 30th pick Jimmy Butler.