• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

17 minutes ago, davis171 said:

I'd say it is 2-4 years (after this year) if we do this right through the draft. I could see Schlenk exploring trades should players like Kawhi, AD, etc come available.

Similar to my timeline hopes/guesstimate. After they (should) re-enter the lower portion of the playoffs in ‘19-‘20, very important that Schlenkholzer pull off a savvy trade for a star along those lines for this all to work out better than the last 10 years of playoff mediocrity did.

Edited by hazer

The good news is Schlenkholzer did very well picking J-Bap his first time up to bat. Better news is it’s looking like Hawks will have 2 top 15 picks this draft. Hopefully he goes 3-for-3.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hazer said:

Better news is it’s looking like Hawks will have 2 top 15 picks this draft. Hopefully he goes 3-for-3.

Just imagine:

Doncic or Ayton or Bagley or Porter

AND

Bridges or Bridges or Williams

What a haul that would be...

On 3/19/2018 at 0:13 AM, CBAreject said:

Yeah if we’re going to do a random draft, we should just make a hard cap, remove individual player caps, and make all draftees free agents.  You’d still have tanking because teams would gut their rosters trying to sign LeBron 2.0.  

Or we could do something like having the lottery extend to the 5th seeds and below in the playoffs with less weighting toward the top few teams.  

How about this?  Teams 1-9 enter an even chances lottery for the top pick.  After that, teams 10-14 join the remaining teams for a draw for #2.  After that, teams 15-19 join for a draw for the #3 Pick.  Really hard to justify a full on tank in this system.  This is my current fave.  

Nothing I have posted is a straw man argument.  

Tanking sucks because it doesn’t work.  Those who support it do so based on the false premise that you are going to get this generational superstar by doing it and will be back in the playoffs in short time.  

You are much more likely to get an Andrew Wiggins or Anthony Bennett than a Kevin Durant.  

Mayne his realization will sink in when next years team is worse than this years team.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Mayne his realization will sink in when next years team is worse than this years team.  

If what Schlenkholzer indicated is correct and they only intended to full on “tank” this season, wouldn’t the Menace who leaves the switch “on” instead of taking half of games off for the tank, the much improved Gaze, the emerged Printz, the unleashed starting J-Bap, and let’s say an Ayton be better than 15th in the East? Yes, they’d be somewhere around 10th-12th and better than this year’s team. Bookmark it.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, hazer said:

If what Schlenkholzer indicated is correct and they only intended to full on “tank” this season, wouldn’t the Menace who leaves the switch “on” instead of taking half of games off for the tank, the much improved Gaze, the emerged Printz, the unleashed starting J-Bap, and let’s say an Ayton be better than 15th in the East? Yes, they’d be somewhere around 10th-12th and better than this year’s team. Bookmark it.

I don't think you can take anything Schlenk has said publicly at face value.  I'm going to wait and see what our roster looks like next year and how we are positioned from a cap perspective next offseason (relative to the rest of the market) before making any predictions on what his timeline looks like.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Nothing I have posted is a straw man argument.  

Tanking sucks because it doesn’t work.  Those who support it do so based on the false premise that you are going to get this generational superstar by doing it and will be back in the playoffs in short time.  

You are much more likely to get an Andrew Wiggins or Anthony Bennett than a Kevin Durant.  

How could next year's team possibly be worse? LOL it's not like we're gonna trade away Dennis and Prince, it's impossible to have less talent next year. 

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think you can take anything Schlenk has said publicly at face value.  I'm going to wait and see what our roster looks like next year and how we are positioned from a cap perspective next offseason (relative to the rest of the market) before making any predictions on what his timeline looks like.

He was wise enough not to pull a Cuban and just flat out state “We’re supertanking for 1 year because of the high quality of this year’s draft and the shitpit Budcox left us in”. But he did mention only “stepping back for a year or 2”. He said a lot of “obligatory” things right when he came onboard, which I took with a grain of salt of course because what else is he gonna say? I think all indications of their plan is to actually TRY next year then hopefully return to the playoffs in year 3 of the “reset”. After that, has his work cut out for him making that savvy trade for a star to get us back in contention near the top of the bracket.

1 hour ago, JSmooooove said:

How could next year's team possibly be worse? LOL it's not like we're gonna trade away Dennis and Prince, it's impossible to have less talent next year. 

The team will be younger, and no vet player will be added.  Younger means worse.  

Edited by KB21

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hazer said:

He was wise enough not to pull a Cuban and just flat out state “We’re supertanking for 1 year because of the high quality of this year’s draft and the shitpit Budcox left us in”. But he did mention only “stepping back for a year or 2”. He said a lot of “obligatory” things right when he came onboard, which I took with a grain of salt of course because what else is he gonna say? I think all indications of their plan is to actually TRY next year then hopefully return to the playoffs in year 3 of the “reset”. After that, has his work cut out for him making that savvy trade for a star to get us back in contention near the top of the bracket.

I agree it was the right call not to pull a Cuban so to speak.  Just saying if the plan next year is to suck I don't think we would look any different today.  Where it will become apparent is over the summer.  I am still expecting us to plan to be in the lottery next year and next offseason to look at throwing some cash around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Some of the stuff you say KB is just throwing it at a wall and praying you are right.

Well, you have an idiot for a GM.  I would anticipate that he makes an idiotic coaching decision when Bud leaves.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well, you have an idiot for a GM.  I would anticipate that he makes an idiotic coaching decision when Bud leaves.  

I'll make you a bet right now Mark Fox is not the next hawks head coach. You are just irrational and spit out facts that aren't true 90% of the time. Want to respond to why Dallas has the 5th oldest roster in the NBA but are terrible.

Edited by davis171

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I agree it was the right call not to pull a Cuban so to speak.  Just saying if the plan next year is to suck I don't think we would look any different today.  Where it will become apparent is over the summer.  I am still expecting us to plan to be in the lottery next year and next offseason to look at throwing some cash around.

I expect them to be "late lottery" again next year too. Whereas they look to be hard "tanking" for that top 3 pick this year, I suspect they'll at least be "trying" next year to start climbing back out of the cellar. 10th-12th with good effort maybe. Agreed, I don't foresee any big trade/FA signings "yet" either. Just continued growth of Menace and Gaze, the further emergence of Printz and J-Bap, and Hawks U development of the 2 Top-15 picks. That alone should garner at least 30 wins and improved standing over this year, if they're actually "trying." And still garner another lottery pick.

Edited by hazer

I'd also love to see the Hawks re-sign 3zus to his final (short and cheap, he'll be 39) contract in '20 to mentor the young'ns as a player/coach on the bench and in the locker room (10th man marksman?). Groom himself for the Hawks Assistant Coach position, retire a Hawk. Then put on a suit and take a seat in the chair beside Bud. See if he has what it takes to eventually take over...