• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We have Schröder ( for now ), we have Collins, we have a lottery pick and two more 1st this year. That is more than what BK started with and he had us back in the playoffs after year four.

Don't forget about Prince and Baze..LOL  Dedmon is also a very useful player!  I'm not sure why fans of this team think that Schröder is going anywhere.  He is at least an average point guard with an incredible skill.  If he improves his shooting, he will will be top ten.

1 hour ago, davis171 said:

No one has said tanking guarantees anything

Like hell!

All I’ve  seen is how tanking is the greatest way to add talent to the team.....that it is the only pathway to a championship.  This is among all the so called fans who are actually rooting for the team to lose games.  

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Like hell!

All I’ve  seen is how tanking is the greatest way to add talent to the team.....that it is the only pathway to a championship.  This is among all the so called fans who are actually rooting for the team to lose games.  

What are you reading? Most of the players just think that the strategy now was better than the treadmill you wanted to keep churning on.  There have been phenomenal posts but you're too argumentative with those who support breaking down to build up that you haven't looked.

• Like 2

Do you not see the flaw in that belief?   That a strategy that only guarantees losing is better than a strategy where you are actually trying to compete on a daily basis.  

There was NO EFFORT MADE to field a competitive team this year, and as a result, at least the next five seasons are completely lost.   Nothing good will come out of this strategy.  

46 minutes ago, deester11 said:

What are you reading? Most of the players just think that the strategy now was better than the treadmill you wanted to keep churning on.  There have been phenomenal posts but you're too argumentative with those who support breaking down to build up that you haven't looked.

I would say this. As much as I think he's annoying. I remember being attacked for wanting to blow the whole thing up years ago. I think we all have our ways. I am convinced we should try to bring in a stud for the cheap. Like Eric Gordon or LMA if these teams try to do an opt-in and trade for LeBron James. I want one of those players to build with. 

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I would say this. As much as I think he's annoying. I remember being attacked for wanting to blow the whole thing up years ago. I think we all have our ways. I am convinced we should try to bring in a stud for the cheap. Like Eric Gordon or LMA if these teams try to do an opt-in and trade for LeBron James. I want one of those players to build with. 

I don't think San Antonio is even on LeBron's radar with the Kawhi situation. I like Eric Gordon's contract too but idk what we give for him when we are reportedly already looking to acquire a second lottery pick.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

You realize that what the Hawks are doing is becoming the standard play for franchises in multiple sports due to the results, right?  Warriors, Cubs, Cavs, Royals, Astros, etc. are your champions the last 3 years and all were made possible by sucking it up in the lottery or top of the draft for years prior to their ascension.

The only sport that matters is NBA basketball.  All other sports are different in who and how you get into the championship picture. 

2ndly, the Warriors and Cavs  got to the championship by two different ways.

First Cavs.  They got Lebron in Free agency.   You're right they sucked and went to the lottery and got the first pick on 3 different occassions!  Wiggins, Irving, and Bennett.  However, I suggest that had they not gotten Lebron in Free Agency, then they would still be in the lottery looking for a star. 

2nd GS.   Once before you talked about acumen, this franchise was not that.   They were lucky.  They were lucky in that when steph was injured earlier in his career and he was a little better than marginal.. no other team went after him in FAcy.  There was some skill in picking Draymond Green and Klay in the draft where they did.  However, in doing that... they showed no need to tank.  

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The culture sucks; just look around you at the empty seats when you are at a game. It is not like we had a top 10 player on our roster to build around. You don't build championships around a 4/5 seed whose best player ( Millsap )  is going to be 33 years old by seasons end. Maybe you could if it was Bron, Duncan, or Durant. But not Millsap, I am sorry.

There is nothing to sugar coat about the direction we were headed sans Horford and a aging SAP. We had three years of SAP, Horford, Korver, and Teague and could not get that final piece. Horford walks and your plan to go three more years trying to add a final two pieces now. Makes no sense man; defies logic.

We have Schröder ( for now ), we have Collins, we have a lottery pick and two more 1st this year. That is more than what BK started with and he had us back in the playoffs after year four.

As soon as he can, this GM will get rid of Dennis and I don't know if Collins has a future here either.  This is a long rebuild.   Get your mind right. 

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

Like hell!

For me it is not tanking that guarantees anything; but it is the lottery that is the best path to a championship. For every one team that you say won without their own lottery pick, you can find ten that did win with their own lottery pick.

I favor the 10 to 1 odds for vs the 10 to 1 against.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

For me it is not tanking that guarantees anything; but it is the lottery that is the best path to a championship. For every one team that you say won without their own lottery pick, you can find ten that did win with their own lottery pick.

The numbers dont show that.    Only San Antonio Miami GS, Cleveland and Los Angeles have won a championship with their own Lottery picks playing a prominent role on the team.  There are many other lottery teams that don't sniff championship contention.  Moreover, non of those teams tanked to get there.  

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The numbers dont show that.    Only San Antonio Miami GS, Cleveland and Los Angeles have won a championship with their own Lottery picks playing a prominent role on the team.  There are many other lottery teams that don't sniff championship contention.  Moreover, non of those teams tanked to get there.  

So you are going to discount Boston and Bird 6th pick, Boston and Pierce 10th pick, Detroit and Isiah Thomas 2nd pick.

Deisel you are grasping for straws here; and that is just three players off the top of my head.

12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

So you are going to discount Boston and Bird 6th pick, Boston and Pierce 10th pick, Detroit and Isiah Thomas 2nd pick.

Deisel you are grasping for straws here; and that is just three players off the top of my head.

I had a brain fart and we both left off the Granddaddy of them all. Jordan 3rd Pick.

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

When this team is five years into this tanking strategy and still hasn’t made the playoffs, come back at me about how this strategy isn’t about guarantees.   

17 minutes ago, KB21 said:

When this team is five years into this tanking strategy and still hasn’t made the playoffs, come back at me about how this strategy isn’t about guarantees.   

KB there is no guarantee in any sport. I don't know where you get off reading into the best strategy in someones opinion is somehow the same as a guarantee. They are not the same. Not even close.

It is harder to win a NBA championship than it is to draft a HOF Player. But no team in the history of the league has ever won a championship without a HOF player. We need to draft at least one HOF player in order to attract other HOF players. That is what championship history shows more times than not. Nothing easy or guaranteed about that statement.

There is a very good reason there are only ten different teams to have won a NBA championship in the past thirty years. It aint easy!

Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Rockets, Spurs, Celtics, Heat, Mavericks, Warriors, Cavs.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

KB there is no guarantee in any sport. I don't know where you get off reading into the best strategy in someones opinion is somehow the same as a guarantee.

They are not the same. Not even close.

It is harder to win a NBA championship than it is to draft a HOF Player. But no team in the history of the league has ever won a championship without a HOF player. We need to draft at least one HOF player in order to attract other HOF players. That is what championship history shows more times than not. Nothing easy or guaranteed about that statement.

There is a very good reason there are only ten different teams to have won a NBA championship in the past thirty years. It aint easy!

Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Rockets, Spurs, Celtics, Heat, Mavericks, Warriors, Cavs.

You don’t have to suck for years to get a HOF caliber player.