• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I just made mention to your own words that matched what I said.   we both said about 4 years to get back to the playoffs.   You didn't answer as to how long to get to the ECF...  I say about 7 if at all.     That's not a smartest guy in the room, that's a based on experience this is how I see it going down. 

What gets me is guys who jump out argumentative and then when you ask them their take... they have none...  or  they say something to the effect Like" Well, I know we won't be back immediately but I think you're spewing doom and gloom". 

That's straight BS.  That's arguing just to be disagreeable.  Many times, I wonder if AHF had said the same thing first.. if it would have gotten anything close to an argument??  Probably a big thumbs up and a clapping gif...  But that's the nature of this board.   Shoot down certain posters regardless of if we agree with them or not... I mean, based on what you said, you agreed with what I said about getting back to the playoffs and your first statements were mildly argumentative. 

Actually if you read through all, I said 2 and  3 have different factors that alter your take.  That's true and won't change.  If LeBron said he'd join the hawk's, the trajectory would change no? Or course he'd need a cast, yada,yada, but the point is that you disagree with a lot of points.  Is that not argumentative? I've disagreed with you and KB without attacks.  Serves no purpose.  I don't see it as bleak as you do.  

32 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The things that some of these people don't get is that we became a quarantine team.   Nobody wanted to come here to play for the Hawks.   Every big name NBA player did buy a house in Atlanta though.   The stigma is still here.  We still have remnants of what that tank job left.  i.e. FAs don't want to come.  What made things worst is the fanbase turned it's back on the hawks. Going to games during that period sucked.  It was like going to the Library.   You could literally here shoes squeaking and defensive plays being called.  Dr. Jack Ramsey was the only commentator that wouldn't trash our team and our city.   There's still a distrust of the team from a lot of the supposed fanbase. 

Here's where I differ from you KB.  IF there was a prize to tank for, then I would be for tanking.  IF there was a generational star in this draft then I would hold my nose and say that it's going to be OK... But there's none of that in this draft.   Drafting at 1,2, or 3 is not much different than drafting at 8, 9, and 10.   Hell, Sexton may be the best raw player in this draft and he's going about 7 or 8.   I see no Jordans, Lebron's Kobe's, Kidd's, Steph's, KD's, or Dirks in this draft.   I see no Kyrie's or Greek Freaks in this draft.   At best, you may have some Willy Cauley Steins in this draft.   Maybe another Bellinelli. 

So it's not worth it. 

LOl. You'll NEVER see another Jordan Kobe or Lebron in another draft. So to say you dont see one of those guys in this draft is a little harsh....And nobody saw Steph Curry being as good as he is.. I know I didnt..Remember, THe college game holds alot of players back also..So you never know..

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

Sorry JSmoove.   The post that was posted had nothing to do with the path that we were ON... Nothing to do with that.  It had everything to do with acknowledging the path that we are on and how long it will take us to get to playoffs and then to championship contention.  It's interesting however to see how so many squawkers are trying to divert back to old arguments.  Probably why there are 150+ pages in this thread. 

Don't be dense, it has everything to do with that. Why would we keep doing the same thing we've been doing the past 10 years just to see us barely make the playoffs with an old roster? Were we on a championship path? Hell no. So we had to try something else - which is why we are where we are now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's so interesting to see a realistic proposal be answered by pure fantasy. 

I guess also you can add to that that Jordan and Kobe will come out of retirement and join the Hawks and play as though they have never lost a step and Share the ball and make us better than everybody else.    GTFOH

Clearly the post was not being serious, it was used to prove a point. I just tried to step my game up to be as outlandish as some of the posters on here GUARANTEEING we won't compete for 10 years and other ridiculous crap. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Don't be dense, it has everything to do with that. Why would we keep doing the same thing we've been doing the past 10 years just to see us barely make the playoffs with an old roster? Were we on a championship path? Hell no. So we had to try something else - which is why we are where we are now. 

Yeah, because the Hawks are clearly on a championship path now.

2 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Ever heard of the definition on insanity? Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results? 

Yep, which is why I wonder why anyone would support a proven failed strategy like tanking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Yep, which is why I wonder why anyone would support a proven failed strategy like tanking.

You act like we've had years of success that we are turning away from. We've been in contention once in the past 30 years and we got flat out embarrassed that season anyway. Many fans are more excited at the possibility of injecting this team with young talent instead of watching that baby Dwight and Old man Millsap. That's just reality, and there's nothing you can do to change it at this point. You can't turn back time. What do you propose? Let's go protest outside Philips and demand they stop tanking!!!

Image result for deal with it

• Like 4

Yeah, the Hawks actually turned away a great run of success they had going because they want to be "young and fun", which only means bad and losing to me.  Young teams don't win in the NBA.  I'd much rather be watching Paul Millsap still on this team, carving opponents up, and carrying this team to the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, CBAreject said:

We are one season closer to a championship than we were in 2017.  The first step was to gut that awful roster.  Done.  

Correction.  They gutted a good roster, and they now have an awful roster thanks to Travis Schlenk.  And it will continue to be awful for years.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, the Hawks actually turned away a great run of success they had going because they want to be "young and fun", which only means bad and losing to me.  Young teams don't win in the NBA.  I'd much rather be watching Paul Millsap still on this team, carving opponents up, and carrying this team to the playoffs.  

Your definition of "great run of success" is a lot different then mine. I want to compete for championships, not get swept out of the playoffs by a clearly better team each season with no hope of actually going to the Finals. Sports is about winning championships, and we haven't ever been close. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Your definition of "great run of success" is a lot different then mine. I want to compete for championships, not get swept out of the playoffs by a clearly better team each season with no hope of actually going to the Finals. Sports is about winning championships, and we haven't ever been close. 

Sports is about competing and doing your best to win, which is not compatible with the deplorable strategy of tanking.

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Sports is about competing and doing your best to win, which is not compatible with the deplorable strategy of tanking.

So you're the participation trophy type. Everyone is a winner as long as you compete hard and try your best to win. Well guess what, most people aren't satisfied with that. It's a losers mentality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

So you're the participation trophy type. Everyone is a winner as long as you compete hard and try your best to win. Well guess what, most people aren't satisfied with that. It's a losers mentality. 

No, I'm not a participation trophy guy, which is why I don't support tanking.  It doesn't change the fact that sports is about competing to win, not going out there to lose.  That's what the tanking strategy breeds.  It's OK to lose according to the pro tankers.

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No, I'm not a participation trophy guy, which is why I don't support tanking.  It doesn't change the fact that sports is about competing to win, not going out there to lose.  That's what the tanking strategy breeds.  It's OK to lose according to the pro tankers.

If losing in the short term gets you closer to championship contention in the long-term, it's worth it. 

Listen, Atlanta sports has had ONE championship EVER. We have experienced countless seasons of being just competitive enough only to get embarrassed when it actually matters. People are tired of seeing it, which is why people don't mind the idea of losing in the short term in order to acquire the talent needed to win BIG. Not just be competitive, nobody in Atlanta wants a "competitive" team.  It's not hard to understand, especially when you consider the history of this city. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

If losing in the short term gets you closer to championship contention in the long-term, it's worth it. 

Listen, Atlanta sports has had ONE championship EVER. We have experienced countless seasons of being just competitive enough only to get embarrassed when it actually matters. People are tired of seeing it, which is why people don't mind the idea of losing in the short term in order to acquire the talent needed to win BIG. Not just be competitive, nobody in Atlanta wants a "competitive" team.  It's not hard to understand, especially when you consider the history of this city. 

Oh, it's quite obvious that you don't want a competitive team.  You support losing.  Losing in the short term does not bring you closer to a championship.  Never has.  Never will.  All it does is instill a losing culture and losing mentality in the organization that is very difficult to overcome.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Oh, it's quite obvious that you don't want a competitive team.  You support losing.  Losing in the short term does not bring you closer to a championship.  Never has.  Never will.  All it does is instill a losing culture and losing mentality in the organization that is very difficult to overcome.  

Image result for houston astros

• Like 1

Different sport that actually has a developmental league where you aren't playing players and paying them to lose.  It still doesn't change the fact that it cheats the game, is against the spirit of competition, and compromises the integrity of the game.

Edited by KB21