• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It’s official Bud is gone ....but for nothing in return

JTB

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

We just paid someone 7 million a year to go away. So much for those who think our ownership and management is only concerned with the bottom line.

Exactly..

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I think the biggest reason we cut bait sooner than later is all these potential candidates interviewing. If all we wanted to do was promote someone on the cheap, we could have forced Bud's hand a lot longer. Schlenk obviously has some coaches in mind and he at least wants a shot at interviewing them before they are signed elsewhere.

DUI Bud is going to get paid regardless. Our next coach very possibly will not be available indefinitely.

I think this likely was a motivating factor.  I'm still stunned if we didn't leverage some concession from Bud.  That is terrible negotiating on our part if we didn't.  I don't necessarily assume that it would be public knowledge if we did so reserving judgment.  But if we truly just let him go with full pay that is pretty unimpressive.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Flight said:

Man I definitely understand where you're coming from but keeping someone around that doesn't want to be there is bad for the morale and culture of your team going forward. So sure we'd get our money's worth but its also detrimental to the team's future. 

What future are you talking about. Nothing can be more detrimental than dismissing your best players and head coach.

People are still trying to believe this is actually good for the Hawks future. Delusional people.

Oh but Bud wasn't even that good. He just lead the Hawks to their best record EVER, with a team made of scraps.

Oh but Bud was sabotaging the Hawks' draft. The man is a PROFESSIONAL. Are you really trying to tell me he was paid to not do his job?

Oh, somehow Ferry is to blame for the debacle that came 3.5 years after he took his leave of absence.

Oh, everyone is to blame, especially the coach that played to win and went away with the money the franchise owed him. But not the GM that gutted the team and told us stupid fans (some more stupid than others) that it would all be just fine. After all, we're going to be competitive!

Tankers should be elated right now. They just got what they like the most, nearly endless years of losing. YAYYYYY!!!

Way to go, Schlenk. I thought you couldn't do any worse than what you had already done, but I was wrong.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Spending is spending.  The narrative that they are rebuilding “to help the bottom line” doesn’t hold up under any circumstance yet it’s still been bandied about for months despite spending on infrastructure and salary being higher than ever for the franchise.  

There are no caveats, there is no “selectively cheap” especially when taking on dead salary lessens revenue.  No, the Hawks have picked a certain strategy and are investing heavily in it.  People are welcome to disagree with the strategy but they can in no way suggest that finances are the primary motivation behind said strategy.

Yeah, your wife and children are starving to death while you feed all the neighbor's kids and add to your collection of expensive sports cars.  Ok, cheap is not the word.  Irresponsible is the word.

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Yeah, your wife and children are starving to death while you feed all the neighbor's kids and add to your collection of expensive sports cars.  Ok, cheap is not the word.  Irresponsible is the word.

You realize they are trying to emulate OKC, Philly, the early 80's Bulls, the early 80's Rockets, the pre-KG Celtics, etc. in terms of losing for a few years to accumulate assets and try to win, right?  Spending during that time is best spent on future assets.  Trying to be the 2018 Charlotte Hornets and get a late lottery pick is not the goal.  If the goal was to win as many games as possible in 2017-18 then I would agree with you but that was never the goal for this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

No, I guess if we are going to make terrible analogies it's more akin to your wife and kids are starving and you decide to spend your last amount of money on a suit for your important job interview in the morning rather than at McDonalds.  Hope that didn't go over your head.

• Like 3

Uh oh.  Looks like Nate Tibbetts probably isn't going to be the right fit.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2017/11/bedrock_of_the_blazers_player_development.html

The Philadelphia 76ers, whom the Blazers visit at 4 p.m. Wednesday, are finally starting to see the fruits of "The Process," a years-long roster rebuild that has featured an endless stream of lottery picks and losses. But across the country, the Blazers quietly have followed their own process, building one of the NBA's most successful player development reputations while winning.

So, he comes from an organization that develops young players while winning, so that is probably going to turn slinky off.  

3 hours ago, Watchman said:

The veterans that everyone likes to point to as bargain signings who are now playing for Philadelphia; check out their scrub playoff stats below.

Ersan 3rd in rebounding at 9.2 a game. Would translate to 1st during the Hawks regular season.

Marco 5th in scoring at 16.6 points per game. Would translate to 2nd in scoring during our regular season.

Some people here do not respect those guys talents because they do not know what talent is. Phily is damn sure respecting and appreciating them right now. Irresponsible and wasteful you say. I agree 100% that Bud the GM was.

We could have had at least two each of those two ( four total players ) for one Bazemore:

12.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG

Edited by Buzzard

1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

No, I guess if we are going to make terrible analogies it's more akin to your wife and kids are starving and you decide to spend your last amount of money on a suit for your important job interview in the morning rather than at McDonalds.  Hope that didn't go over your head.

Talk about terrible analogies.  Sheesh.  You need to add to your analogy that you already had 6 suits that fit and looked fine, but you just had to have the newest style, so no food for the wife and kids today.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The veterans that everyone likes to point to as bargain signings who are now playing for Philadelphia; check out their scrub playoff stats below.

Ersan 3rd in rebounding at 9.2 a game. Would translate to 1st during the Hawks regular season.

Marco 5th in scoring at 16.6 points per game. Would translate to 2nd in scoring during our regular season.

Some people here do not respect those guys talents because they do not know what talent is. Phily is damn sure respecting and appreciating them right now. Irresponsible and wasteful you say. I agree 100% that Bud the GM was. We could have had at least two each of those two ( four total players ) for one Bazemore: 12.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG

Ersan = 0.1 BPM, 0.9 VORP in 2017-2018

Marco = -1.3 BPM, 0.3 VORP in 2017-2018

Kent = 0.4 BPM, 1.1 VORP in 2017-2018

17 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Some people here do not respect those guys talents because they do not know what talent is. Phily is damn sure respecting and appreciating them right now. Irresponsible and wasteful you say. I agree 100% that Bud the GM was.

We could have had at least two each of those two ( four total players ) for one Bazemore:

12.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG

We could have had them here.  Oh wait.  We did.  Then we decided to underwrite Philadelphia's playoff campaign.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10855864/former-golden-state-warriors-assistant-fired-secretly-recording-conversations

This seems like the kind of guy slinky would go after to be the Hawks next head coach.

The Warriors' other coaches began noticing a change in Erman's demeanor and behavior in March, a source said. A few weeks later, they discovered that he was recording them. After being caught, Erman told the club he had been recording the conversations for three weeks. Jackson kept Erman on his staff for another week before Warriors' management fired him on April 5.

22 minutes ago, Watchman said:

We could have had them here.  Oh wait.  We did.  Then we decided to underwrite Philadelphia's playoff campaign.

When we are ready to compete again, Travis will sign talent just like them vs signing Bazemore to that stupid contract of his. I think Bud is a good coach but he is in denial if he thinks he should have been left to be our VP. He was a horrible VP when it came to managing our teams payroll.

We will eventually be fine payroll wise but it will take a little time.

• Like 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bud didn't leave because he was stripped of power.  He left because of slinky's desire to lose for several years.

I don't think either explanation is that simple.  He went and immediately interviewed with two teams that don't have a prayer of making the playoffs next year (assuming Porzingis misses a large portion of the season as currently projected).  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think either explanation is that simple.  He went and immediately interviewed with two teams that don't have a prayer of making the playoffs next year (assuming Porzingis misses a large portion of the season as currently projected).  

No sense in using logic AHF; it will baffle them and they will continue in denial just like Bud. Bud wanted out at any cost. Probably because he thinks his legacy is tarnished with the demotion. I think with this drama he has tarnished it more.

He could have stayed on and righted the ship; instead he threw more mud in ownership and managements face. Any team that is thinking they need a company man; will probably think twice about giving Bud a very long look. So far he has two strikes, Suns and Knicks. Lets see if they keep adding up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

He went and interviewed with teams who aren't going to just sit back and try to lose games going forward, unless you really think Phoenix is going to continue trying to lose games and not spend any of their free agent money on veterans that can help them win now.

In Atlanta, he has a reactionary owner who has a low basketball IQ.  He has a lying piece of trash GM calling the shots.  Why wouldn't he leave?