• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It’s official Bud is gone ....but for nothing in return

JTB

7 hours ago, Eddielives said:

Just saw this.  Dark day for the franchise.  We will be hard pressed to be so lucky with our next coach.

7 hours ago, Eddielives said:

Just saw this.  Dark day for the franchise.  We will be hard pressed to be so lucky with our next coach.

Are there any other kind as it relates to this franchise?

• Like 2

Honestly, I don;t think Bud can be called a great coach yet... He had a mediocre season, a great season, a good one, an average one and a terrible one.

Being stripped of power ate Bud alive it seems. If he insists on having large power he will probably repeat his run that he had here to some degree. He is a good coach at the very least, but it seems that coaching just isn't enough. He seems to need control, but I don't think he can use that kind of power objectively. He'll keep sub par talents over more talented players if the sub par player plays hard. He will look out more for the players he bonds with. A coach that probably shouldn't have the kind of power that Bud wants.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Outline what has to happen for the Hawks to get back to the playoffs in 3 years?

Again? Continued development/growth of Menace, daFro, Gaze, Dorsey, Prince, and Collins along their current trajectory, if those first 3 aren’t sent packing. This will be more challenging without Bud, their ascension may slow, but Hawks U already slowed with the departures of Snyder and Atkinson. Hell if Gaze has peaked and justbolays like last year, good enough. Then continue hitting on draft picks like The Colonel did in ‘17, bring an Ayton or Doncic or Bamba or Young in here along with a Williams and Okogie and now your cooking. Add a young capable developmental coach in here (Fitz? Silas?) and build rapport with the youth. Then use that cap space to pull the trigger on a couple of nice vet trades in ‘19 and Hawks are back sniffing the 8th seed in the 3rd year of the retool. The uncertainty with Bud’s departure could conceivably push that out to a 4th year, but I’m sticking to 3.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, hazer said:

And that tells me that the reported owner who berated his coach with a “What are you doing???” when said coach won useless end-of-season games against Utah, Washington, and Boston to jeopardize the Top 3 pick was Ressler to Bud. We now all know EXACTLY what Bud was doing, sabotaging the Hawks.

I'm sure we will get more hard details to come but I can't get past that. It absolutely feels like Bud knew he was out the door after the season and wanted to give a middle finger to our owner by sabotaging our lottery chances.

• Like 3

When Bud lost his GM abilities, y’all should’ve known this was coming eventually. He was never sticking around for an extended period of time. Why would he? Especially with a new GM coming on board. It was inevitable and all the hoping in the world wasn’t going to make it not be a reality. 

Anyway, I’m glad this is over. The main focus should be on the personnel side of things which will determine how big of a ceiling this team will have whenever they become a playoff team again. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm sure we will get more hard details to come but I can't get past that. It absolutely feels like Bud knew he was out the door after the season and wanted to give a middle finger to our owner by sabotaging our lottery chances.

I liked Bud other than his ineptitude at GMing, his strange affinity for sub-par players (Moose, Delamey, etc), wierd sub patterns, and time-out play calling. But this irks the hell out of me like none of those other pet peeves did.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, KB21 said:

Actually, he’s getting all that money.  There will be some offset when he signs with his new team, but the Hawks have in effect fired him.  

Source?

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

I liked Bud other than his ineptitude at GMing, his strange affinity for sub-par players (Moose, Delamey, etc), wierd sub patterns, and time-out play calling. But this irks the hell out of me like none of those other pet peeves did.

This right here!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, hazer said:

And that tells me that the reported owner who berated his coach with a “What are you doing???” when said coach won useless end-of-season games against Utah, Washington, and Boston to jeopardize the Top 3 pick was Ressler to Bud. We now all know EXACTLY what Bud was doing, sabotaging the Hawks.

If this is indeed the case, good riddance! He's on the list with Shanahan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hazer said:

Yeah, because he was so right about Bud going to the Suns and improving their record by 20 wins in a single season. About as right as he was about the 76-ers not making the playoffs. Wait, not winning 50 games. Wait, getting swept out of the 1st round. As he says, we’re just mad because he’s always right. I’m actually the one who said Bud might leave for the bright lights and big star of NYC, or home to San Antonio. But not Phoenix or Milwaukee. 

I heard the "20 win improvement" for Phoenix concept on the radio, so I don't follow why you make an issue of it for KB21. My recollection is that the folks in Phoenix had that opinion.  

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

I heard the "20 win improvement" for Phoenix concept on the radio, so I don't follow why you make an issue of it for KB21. My recollection is that the folks in Phoenix had that opinion.  

A blind squirrel finds an acorn...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

You-know-who adopted it and pounded it home for a few days. Follow (for) now?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I have a few questions...Was Bud so unhappy that he forced his way out of $13 million...Was it the tanking that upset Bud?  If that's the case, was Bud onboard with the tank this past season at all.  If He wasn't onboard, were those personnel choices during the season made because he was trying to be competitive?  I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt and convinced myself that his bad personnel decision were linked to his choice to try to lose games.  I guess not.  Too bad we couldn't get compensation for him.  I guess the rest of the league didn't think he was worth it.

7 hours ago, parfait said:

You don't hire an established coach to finish off the last couple of years of a rebuild. You hire a Brett Brown type and then reap the rewards once the roster has ripened.

LOL!

You hire a Jacque Vaughn type for your rebuild.  Oh, wait.

You hire a Dave Joerger type for your rebuild.  Oh, wait.

You hire a Randy Wittman type for your rebuild.  Oh, wait.

You hire a Mike Woodson type for your rebuild.  Oh, wait.  

You hire a P.J. Carlesimo type for your rebuild.  Oh, wait.

Congratulations Bud.  You got away from this crappy ownership and management. 

Can't wait to hear Slinky's spin at the 11 o'clock presser.  

I hope Ressler does sell the team, and takes his flunky Slinky with him.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I have a few questions...Was Bud so unhappy that he forced his way out of $13 million...Was it the tanking that upset Bud?  If that's the case, was Bud onboard with the tank this past season at all.  If He wasn't onboard, were those personnel choices during the season made because he was trying to be competitive?  I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt and convinced myself that his bad personnel decision were linked to his choice to try to lose games.  I guess not.  Too bad we couldn't get compensation for him.  I guess the rest of the league didn't think he was worth it.

The GM said we would be competitive.  

5 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Congratulations Bud.  You got away from this crappy ownership and management. 

Can't wait to hear Slinky's spin at the 11 o'clock presser.  

I hope Ressler does sell the team, and takes his flunky Slinky with him.

The GM said we would be competitive.  

Think he'll take some Hawks "fans" with him?

• Like 2