• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Problem with Trae Young.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Size and Defense. 

This guy is small.  He scores but he's probably as big as he will ever be.  We don't know if scoring will translate in the NBA. 

Defensively... Naw.  

If we get him, it would have to be on a move up. 

I do like Bamba.   I saw him on Get up the other day.  He has BBIQ.   High BBIQ.  In think inthe longrun, he will be the guy.   Maybe another Embiid. 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Size and Defense. 

This guy is small.  He scores but he's probably as big as he will ever be.  We don't know if scoring will translate in the NBA. 

Defensively... Naw.  

I do like Bamba.   I saw him on Get up the other day.  He has BBIQ.   High BBIQ.  In think inthe longrun, he will be the guy.   Maybe another Embiid. 

Agree on Trae as with his size I see him having trouble getting his shot off (his shooting % in college wasn't nothing impressive) and also his defense is absolutely beyond terrible ... the other thing is his turnovers ... 5.2 in college is scary bad ... I know he was double teamed but 5.2 ... that is unacceptable

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

Agree on Trae as with his size I see him having trouble getting his shot off (his shooting % in college wasn't nothing impressive) and also his defense is absolutely beyond terrible ... the other thing is his turnovers ... 5.2 in college is scary bad ... I know he was double teamed but 5.2 ... that is unacceptable

People want to believe that he's the next Curry because of his scoring.   However, Curry perfected his handle.  I can't say much about Trae's handle except if you're giving up that many TOs in College, the pro game is going to be hard for you. 

• Like 1

People had the same size complaints about Chris Paul and Trae is bigger than he was. Defensively he just has to want to get better, he'll have more energy because his offensive usage won't be as high. Turnover wise I think that was just a product of his insanely high usage, he had the ball more possessions than anyone. I think he'll be fine in the league as long as he has the right coaching.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Flight said:

People had the same size complaints about Chris Paul and Trae is bigger than he was. Defensively he just has to want to get better, he'll have more energy because his offensive usage won't be as high. Turnover wise I think that was just a product of his insanely high usage, he had the ball more possessions than anyone. I think he'll be fine in the league as long as he has the right coaching.

That's a lot to ask.   He will get coaching.  He will get good coaching.   But coaching can't get past the size and defense.   As far as CP3... CP3 has always been a good one on one defensive player.   Yes, he's small but the guy has fight.  Trae will have to show that he has fight. 

Just now, Diesel said:

That's a lot to ask.   He will get coaching.  He will get good coaching.   But coaching can't get past the size and defense.   As far as CP3... CP3 has always been a good one on one defensive player.   Yes, he's small but the guy has fight.  Trae will have to show that he has fight. 

I don't think I can really judge him having "fight" on defense from college, his role was too important on offense to even allow him to be THAT committed on D. I'm just saying his size won't be as significant of a problem as some make it out to be. It's more on effort than physical limitation. 

CP wasn't always a good one on one defender, he racked up a lot of steals in college but he wasn't super aggressive on D. His team overall was bad defensively. He had better instincts than Trae does on D but it goes to show that size isn't the end all be all with defense for PGs.

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Size and Defense. 

Defensively... Naw.  

You realize Trae also led the nation in assists with 8.7 right? Like most that don’t like Trae they totally disregard his passing ability which is elite.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

People want to believe that he's the next Curry because of his scoring.   However, Curry perfected his handle.  I can't say much about Trae's handle except if you're giving up that many TOs in College, the pro game is going to be hard for you. 

I don't think Trae is the guy we are chasing if trading down. Bamba or JJJ all day IMO if trading down.

• Like 1

Defense at the point guard position is overrated. You’re just not going to do much to affect the guy in front of you unless you’re Westbrook, Beverly, or Bradley. He will never be a good defender, but most of the really good point guards aren’t. 

Trae Young has great range and one of the quickest releases I’ve seen. If nothing else, the dude will be an elite shooter. His percentages were down because he couldn’t adjust to the way teams defended him down the stretch and didn’t have any other capable teammates to take the pressure off him. What worked against him in College will get teams burned in the Pros. Whether he comes here or not, Trae is going to be one hell of a pro.

• Like 3

• Admin
You realize Trae also led the nation in assists with 8.7 right? Like most that don’t like Trae they totally disregard his passing ability which is elite.

And 5.2 TURNOVERS... that is crazy sloppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trae Young advanced defensive stats are not bad. His FG% is lower because of his 3point attemots.. His eFG% and True shooting % is excellent .  His Per is 28! I dont know ehy people hate on him so much. His only downside is size. Which is comprable to Chris Paul. You dont see Houston struggling with a CP3 and Harden backcourt.

Season
Career
2017-18
Season School Conf G GS MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr PProd ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/40   OBPM DBPM BPM
Career Oklahoma
2017-18 Oklahoma Big 12 32 32 1133 28.3 .585 .518 .531 .443 935 1.3 10.0 5.8 48.6 2.5 0.7 18.2 37.1   4.6 1.1 5.7 .201   11.2 0.5 11.7

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asdogg said:

Trae Young advanced defensive stats are not bad. His FG% is lower because of his 3point attemots.. His eFG% and True shooting % is excellent .  His Per is 28! I dont know ehy people hate on him so much. His only downside is size. Which is comprable to Chris Paul. You dont see Houston struggling with a CP3 and Harden backcourt.

Season
Career
2017-18
Season School Conf G GS MP PER TS% eFG% 3PAr FTr PProd ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/40   OBPM DBPM BPM
Career Oklahoma
2017-18 Oklahoma Big 12 32 32 1133 28.3 .585 .518 .531 .443 935 1.3 10.0 5.8 48.6 2.5 0.7 18.2 37.1   4.6 1.1 5.7 .201   11.2 0.5 11.7

He’s actually bigger than a few really good point guards, including CP3. I’m confused on why size matters so much from that position. 

Just now, EazyRoc said:

He’s actually bigger than a few really good point guards, including CP3. I’m confused on why size matters so much from that position. 

Besides switching of course...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

I’ve seen more buzz that the Hawks like Trae than JJJ and Bamba. 

I just watched a draft show this morning. Doncic and JJJ are our guys according to it and the one I watched last night. The Trae rumors have settled down so much he is dropping way down the draft boards to the 10, 11, and 12 range.

• Moderators

I don't get the crazy concerns about Trae's size either.  As many have pointed out, he's the same size as CP3 and hell he's the same size as Dennis.   The one thing we know for sure is that the NBA knows how to add muscle to 19 year olds.   

The comparison to Steph is a lazy one, but everything about Trae points to being an excellent NBA PG.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I just watched a draft show this morning. Doncic and JJJ are our guys according to it and the one I watched last night. The Trae rumors have settled down so much he is dropping way down the draft boards to the 10, 11, and 12 range.

Yeah by ESPN. I’ve seen another source that thinks Luka goes #2 and we grab Trae at #3 or via trade down. I’m just ready to see what happens.