• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Problem with Trae Young.

Diesel

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't want Young. He gives no effort at all on defense. He turned the ball over a ton at college. When he played superior competition he got really exposed. I don't see what people see in him.

He is literally the only player ever to lead the nation in points and assists and he did it as a 19 year old freshman. He has elite skills (ball handling, scoring, shooting, passing).   Even if his numbers dipped in conference play (because of double/triple teams) they were still very good. (27/8/4). His team was awful and they probably win 10 games without him. He’s also gained 12 pounds to try and improve defensively.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

One of these ESPN personalities (Jay Bilas is the bald guy right) really had Colin Sexton rated higher than Trae Young. This is what I mean when I say that any of us might as well be on camera. That whole analysis is teeeerrrible. 

I thought his analyses made a lot of sense.  Most people watch a fraction of the college ball he does.  The ESPN college analysts are far more honest and critical of players than any NBA ones you can find on television.

Sexton is seen as a ready-made NBA defender.  Bilas was echoing most accounts of Young that state he “shows no interest” in defending.  Offensive capabilities aside that’s an insurmountable gap in playability out the gate.  How is it guys like Andre Roberson and Thabo, as poorly skilled offensive players as you could ever find in the NBA, start for “contending” teams?  Lip service is paid but people really need to respect the fact that “defense wins championships” (right!)

The comparisons to CP3 and Steph don’t measure up.  I can’t speak on his college tenure but Steph has never been a “disninterested” defender.  I’ll gladly eat crow if Young can post 5 boards and 2 steals per in his rookie campaign.  CP3 is solidly built from head to toe and loves to compete defensively.  Again, boxes Young could never check.

42 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I thought his analyses made a lot of sense.  Most people watch a fraction of the college ball he does.  The ESPN college analysts are far more honest and critical of players than any NBA ones you can find on television.

Sexton is seen as a ready-made NBA defender.  Bilas was echoing most accounts of Young that state he “shows no interest” in defending.  Offensive capabilities aside that’s an insurmountable gap in playability out the gate.  How is it guys like Andre Roberson and Thabo, as poorly skilled offensive players as you could ever find in the NBA, start for “contending” teams?  Lip service is paid but people really need to respect the fact that “defense wins championships” (right!)

The comparisons to CP3 and Steph don’t measure up.  I can’t speak on his college tenure but Steph has never been a “disninterested” defender.  I’ll gladly eat crow if Young can post 5 boards and 2 steals per in his rookie campaign.  CP3 is solidly built from head to toe and loves to compete defensively.  Again, boxes Young could never check.

I wouldn’t underestimate him like that? Plus, 5 boards and 2 steals per game...that’s to much to expect from a rookie but he might do it anyways.

I do see a lot of Nash in him. He’s gonna be good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Collin Sexton literally isn’t a great passer, a great shooter, a good point guard. He’s the better athlete and defender. That’s it. Trae is better at just about every other aspect of the game. It’s a poor analysis in my opinion. I don’t care how much college basketball he watches. You tell me the last time a defensive PG won a championship. It was almost 10 years ago IIRC. He doesn’t have to be in love with Young, but anybody who’s actually watched him should know the guy is an elite shooter and an elite passer. I’m not, or never will, pretend like Young will be a great defender. However, to put a player without any real skill ahead of a guy who could be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd most skilled offensive prospect in this draft is idiotic. I know you may like Bilas, but it’s poor analysis. 

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Bilas also said this on Young. 

“Young is a young Stephen Curry, but far ahead of where Curry was at a similar age,”Bilas wrote. “Of course, that doesn’t mean that Young will stay on this trajectory, because very few ever have or even can. But this is only about right now, and this kid is ridiculously good now.”

4 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Bilas also said this on Young. 

“Young is a young Stephen Curry, but far ahead of where Curry was at a similar age,”Bilas wrote. “Of course, that doesn’t mean that Young will stay on this trajectory, because very few ever have or even can. But this is only about right now, and this kid is ridiculously good now.”

And had to nerve to have Sexton ahead of Curry. I swear these guys just say stuff and pull stuff out their asses because they forgot their lines or something lol.

Just now, EazyRoc said:

And had to nerve to have Sexton ahead of Curry. I swear these guys just say stuff and pull stuff out their asses because they forgot their lines or something lol.

*ahead of Young

16 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

*ahead of Young

I’ve been watching Sexton since high school and yeah that’s ridiculous. Sexton reminds me of Eric Bledsoe honestly...That Bilas quote was from December FWIW. 

I want Sexton enough to start a thread about it, but as he seems to be boogying up the draft boards, I would not think about it before the 10th on down.  Young well could be a great PG, but he will still be exposed on D.  Even the Steph compro is tough considering that even before KD, he still had some damn fine teammates.

Young has earned the rep of a lousy defender, but was that be design?  He was the only offensive threat on his team.  Asking a freshman to carry the team offensively takes a major physical toll.   

Is it possible that his HC directed Young to catch his breath on defense?

1 minute ago, ggp said:

Young has earned the rep of a lousy defender, but was that be design?  He was the only offensive threat on his team.  Asking a freshman to carry the team offensively takes a major physical toll.   

Is it possible that his HC directed Young to catch his breath on defense?

I think the ultimate concern is size not ability.  Even Steph at 6'3 (in shoes) is two inches taller than Trae and at least in the Houston series was hard not to think of as a liability on D.

What Trae did as a Frosh is amazing and has sadly been minimized.  That said, his turnovers are distressing as is his productivity as game planning became more and more about him.