• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have the Hawks shown any interest in Clint Capela

NBASupes

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

Why are we penalizing Capela for finishing well? ...let’s be honest there’s not enough centers finishing well when rolling hard to the basket. I get his responsibilities on offense are low but he still has to finish when the ball is thrown to him and he does a great job of doing that. He makes harden and cp3 job easy as well. It works both ways.

on the flip side he gets rebounds and play defense on switches and in the paint. Two things I feel schlenk need to seriously consider with us building around Trae now.

toss him 80-85 mil and if Houston match then ok. But Capela is the perfect big man in today’s nba but without the 3 point shot. I think Capela can make life easier on the other young hawks just my 2 cents and trust me if anyone knows offense prevails over defense in the nba on this board it’s me!...I bitch about that almost every other post but at the same time I KNOW it’s unrealistic that we are going to have 5 starters who all can score. .....it’s just not happening 

I was top 5 in FG% 2 years ago, and I finish well . . . but you all hated me . . 

Image result for dwight howard hawks

And top 5 in rebounds

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I was top 5 in FG% 2 years ago, and I finish well . . . but you all hated me . . 

Image result for dwight howard hawks

And top 5 in rebounds

I didn’t hate him. I was on board with him being here but Howard didn’t want to be that willing screener and hard roller..that’s only reason he continues to fail to be productive in terms of getting wins.

howard wants to be Olajuwon. Capela just doing his job at high rate.

53 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think Biyombo comparison is real.  Capela has been a solid starter whereas Biyombo hasn't had even a single season where he was a quality starter.  Biyombo hit big based on a few high profile playoff games.  What I'd say more generally is that Capela is a stud role player and shouldn't be getting the kind of contract he wants from a team in our position.  He is a great piece on a contending team but will absolutely disappoint if someone tries to make him a cornerstone of a rebuilding squad.

So ... you agree with me? 

And @Atlantaholic, I don't think we're underrating him.  More like projecting what he is on a squad where he'd have more responsibility.  IOW, not great.  Certainly not $20mil-a-year great.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So ... you agree with me? 

And @Atlantaholic, I don't think we're underrating him.  More like projecting what he is on a squad where he'd have more responsibility.  IOW, not great.  Certainly not $20mil-a-year great.

I think so.  But I think he is much better than Biyombo.  

51 minutes ago, JTB said:

Why are we penalizing Capela for finishing well? ...let’s be honest there’s not enough centers finishing well when rolling hard to the basket. I get his responsibilities on offense are low but he still has to finish when the ball is thrown to him and he does a great job of doing that. He makes harden and cp3 job easy as well. It works both ways.

on the flip side he gets rebounds and play defense on switches and in the paint. Two things I feel schlenk need to seriously consider with us building around Trae now.

toss him 80-85 mil and if Houston match then ok. But Capela is the perfect big man in today’s nba but without the 3 point shot. I think Capela can make life easier on the other young hawks just my 2 cents and trust me if anyone knows offense prevails over defense in the nba on this board it’s me!...I bitch about that almost every other post but at the same time I KNOW it’s unrealistic that we are going to have 5 starters who all can score. .....it’s just not happening 

Who is penalizing him?  He is great at converting easy shots when the defense is focused on shutting down Paul and/or Harden.  If he was signed by GS or Boston or a similar team with weapons on the perimeter and nobody taking up space under the basket then you should expect that he'd have similar success.  

The point, however, is that he would not doing this for the Hawks.  We don't have great floor spacing, Collins needs touches near the basket and nobody on the perimeter is a huge threat to draw attention and open him up for easy runs to the basket.  So the issue with him is two-fold:

(1)  Do we have the young players now who can grow into the cornerstones of a team good enough to use Capela in the 3rd / 4th man role where he can be a stud?  If not, we are at least a year away from blowing major cap room on someone like him.

(2)  If you want to sign him anyway, what does he look like on a team with the personnel of the Hawks?  Here is where you might say he is being "penalized" but I would say that it is really recognition that he would be asked to assume more responsibility on the floor offensively for this team and that he doesn't have the skillset to really expand out.  In addition, his woeful FT% presents a bigger risk of excessive fouling of him to drive him off the floor if you are expecting him to carry a bigger load.  If you expect him to be the same role player here that he is in Houston, then I'd tell you that he isn't worth $100M to do that.  He is like a rich man's version of Brandan Wright (a big man used in a limited role whose per minute metrics look amazing because his responsibilities are very limited to those things that he can succeed doing when he is on the floor).

• Like 1