• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Year May Be Most Memorable!!

sillent

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

The trades were similar. The players the Hawks acquired were not. This isn't about how good Melo is or what he did for the Hawks. It's about how insanely popular/infamous he is. You keep bringing up T-Mac because he's a HOFer, but he was old news when he signed with the Hawks and few people cared. He was down to single digit points for 3 different teams the 2 years prior. Melo has never stopped being front page news. Combine that with the age of the internet and you have something that has already been more talked about and will continue to be more talked about than anything related to Brandon. Again, you're going to take this as me saying Melo will be a significant figure in Hawks history instead sticking to the actual words that have been said (going all the way back to the OP's quote that started this) so I'm not going to waste anymore time on this. 

We didn't add Melo to our roster.  He will never suit up for this team.  The trade in which we got Brandon was equally big front page news when it happened.

No one will care about Melo in connection with the Hawks. They will care about him in connection to the Rockets.  They will remember his years as a part of a promising Denver team that never reached contention, as part of a Knicks squad that largely sucked with him as their best player, as a square peg in a round hole in OKC and for whatever he does in Houston.  No one will talk about him in connection with the Hawks.  That is the bottomline. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 2:22 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I just don't see it.  Melo will be a footnote to the Hawks History.  Moving Dennis has more to do with 'our potential turnaround' than Melo. It's not like Dennis could not have been traded to another team (though difficult).

Sura will be more memorable to Hawks fans for robbing us a chance at drafting Dwight Howard.

Melo will more be remembered for getting ousted from OKC in a salary dump and derailing the Rockets championship hopes for the 2018-19 season. 

Trading for Melo or not did not change drafting Trae as the PG of the future.  

So drafting Trae is your memorable moment for this offseason. Cool that's what the topics about!

On 8/15/2018 at 4:06 PM, High5 said:

Hardly anyone these days even knows who Terrell Brandon is and nothing (good) came from the Hawks acquiring him. And T-Mac was just another end-of-the-road vet signing with a playoff team to make a small impact before retiring. Not really comparable to the Melo situation at all. Next to LeBron and Kawhi, Melo has probably been the most talked about player this offseason. Buying him out has gotten more publicity than any of our transactions in a long time. But I think you're missing the point. No one is saying Melo is going to be a significant figure in Hawks history. It's just if this is the start of the Hawks turnaround then he will be an interesting part of it. Combined with trading Dennis, drafting Trae, losing Bud, hiring Pierce, "Linsanity and Vinsanity," etc. It's about the offseason as a whole. 

What he said.

On 8/15/2018 at 4:46 PM, AHF said:

You just proved my point.  Thank you.  If you think Melo is going to be more remembered in 10 or 20 years than TMac is now then we'll have to respectfully disagree.  They have had very similar careers to the same point in their career and T-Mac has actually had the more memorable playoff performances between the two.  Melo will stat stuff a couple more years in the NBA in increasingly less important roles and then retire without really changing anything about his legacy unless he nails some really big shots to get a ring like Ray Allen did in Miami and even then it won't mean nearly as much as what he did in his prime.  

Brandon was a multiple All-Star who filled exactly the same role for us as Melo fills now (a player who we pay not to play for us and who helps us set the table for a rebuild) and you barely even remember it happened.

No one will care about Melo's role in this rebuild in ten years.  He is just a means of unloading Dennis.

What will be remembered a decade from now about this offseason has nothing to do with Melo.  It will have nothing to do with Vince.  It will likely have nothing to do with Lin.  It will almost surely be remembered almost entirely for whether our draft picks were successful and the ultimate result of the Trae + pick for Doncic trade.

So why are you lingering on Melo? You have all of those other moves that will be memorable going forward. Dwell on that. All fans are different and all of the moves made can/will be significant to somebody. Positive thoughts create positive results. Try it in your life and stop searching for what you don't like Chief Keef.

On 8/15/2018 at 6:02 PM, High5 said:

Again, you're arguing against a point that was never made. And you're comparing Melo to Brandon beyond the simple fact that neither played to the Hawks which is kinda insane. So I'll bow out now. 

On 8/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, AHF said:

The Hawks made this trade as one of their early moves to help their rebuild (they would win 28, 13 and 26 games the next three years).  Brandon was acquired with no intent to ever play him and ultimately waived by the Hawks.  By doing the deal we got rid of 2 future years of Glenn Robinson's contract who was a highly paid player that we didn't see as part of the long-term future of the team.  

The trade was highly talked about as it involved the following All-Stars:  Terrell Brandon, Glenn Robinson, and Latrell Sprewell in addition to former #2 pick Keith Van Horn and a number of other players.  

This summer the Hawks made a similarly discussed trade as an early move to help their rebuild.  Melo was acquired with no intent to ever play him and ultimately bought out and waived by the Hawks.  By doing the deal we got rid of 2 future years of Dennis Schröder's contract who is a highly paid player that we didn't see as part of the long-term future of the team.  

These trades are incredibly similar and the specific names involved will have the same resonance in Hawks history.  Do you really not see the parallels?

Again we've made multiple moves. The Dennis/Carmelo move is just another one for conversation for those that understand the significant's of it. Even the point to make sure Dennis goes west so he won't be our achilles heel because you know he'll be gunning for us. Especially a young Trae and hate Dennis all you want but there's no denying his talent, especially as an opponent. Trae will still eventually have his day though. 

On 8/16/2018 at 10:17 AM, Gray Mule said:

In the Melo deal, I believe the Hawks got some assets.  Any one remember who or what was involved?  And, didn't we lose Moose?

Or, was that the trade that we shed Dennis?  Seems that the Hawks made some moves after the draft.  Nothing earth shaking, but they did sign a couple of veterans, Jeremy Lin and Vince Carter. 

Hawks still have Bazemore and Dedmon, so they were not without veterans to go with their other very young Hawks.  Two months from today!  That's when the season opens. 

:applause:

Exactly. Sounds like alot of history making moves that can change our future. If Justin Anderson becomes a beast along with the rest of our young core that trade and Carmelo won't ever be forgotten as a significant part of Hawks history. For those wondering about the significant's it's pretty much in the name alone. Of course if that cap spaces brings another big name who sees our potential and wants to play with us it will be another link.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/18/2018 at 2:40 PM, sillent said:

Again we've made multiple moves. The Dennis/Carmelo move is just another one for conversation for those that understand the significant's of it. Even the point to make sure Dennis goes west so he won't be our achilles heel because you know he'll be gunning for us. Especially a young Trae and hate Dennis all you want but there's no denying his talent, especially as an opponent. Trae will still eventually have his day though. 

You and I are 100% aligned.  There is nothing special about Melo being connected to that trade.  It is just another move.

• Like 1

back to the original idea of this thread.  I think this year has the potential to be like 1989 with Braves. Horrible in terms of Ws, but you will get to see the next generation getting thrown into the fire and learning. Next year, could be the equivalent of 1990 Braves.  A young, talented team that was learning to win. Then you get '91 (and '20 for the Hawks) and start the run.  Hopefully we get the drafts right and get two of those top tier players you need to actually compete for a championship. 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2018 at 3:00 PM, sillent said:

Terrell Brandon is only known in Cleveland. Blip in my basketball memory

Nah, man. The 90's were all Jordan, Hakeem, and Brandon. I remember countless hours practicing his signature move, "the legal dribble," in my driveway as a kid.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, High5 said:

Nah, man. The 90's were all Jordan, Hakeem, and Brandon. I remember countless hours practicing his signature move, "the legal dribble," in my driveway as a kid.

Wonder if there are any young kids today modeling their games after OKC Melo?

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

Wonder if there are any young kids today modeling their games after OKC Melo?

Probably. Definitely Knick Melo, Nugget Melo, Syracuse Melo, Hoodie Melo, and Olympic Melo. Every version of Melo is more relevant in basketball and popular culture than Terrell Brandon ever was. KG saying Melo's wife tastes like honey nut cheerios is a more well known fact than Brandon actually playing multiple seasons with KG. Just admit Melo is a more memorable and notable player and end this madness. 

• Like 1