• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sports Illustrated disagrees with a lot of you here

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

League Pass Watchability Rankings:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24846824/zach-lowe-2018-19-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1

28. ATLANTA HAWKS (18)

I've given up trying to get people to care about the Hawks. I couldn't do it when they won 60 games.

Hey, there's Jeremy Lin! And one of the Plumlees! And Alex Len! Wait, why are they here? No one knows!

Youth gets Atlanta the tiebreaker over Cleveland. I am more excited to watch whatever Trae Young does every night than anything in a Cavs game. Young will score 30 one game, go 2-of-30 with 12 turnovers the next, and throw a half-dozen dazzling passes during both.

John Collins jumps three times in the span it takes most bigs to go up and down once. He started hitting corner 3s and attacking off the bounce late last season, and if that keeps up, he becomes a really interesting modern big.

Taurean Prince caught fire in March and April. He'll either blossom into a bona fide second/third banana, or become the type of frisky-but-replaceable wing someone overpays in two years. Lloyd Pierce, fresh from Philly, is going to let these guys run and jack 3s.

These late-1960s powder blue throwbacks are a welcome sight:

The red really pops, and I love the black in that tricolored striping.

Revised lottery odds might dissuade these guys from their tankiest impulses, but there are going to be some grotesque losses.

• Premium Member

28. Hawks | Last season: 24-58, missed playoffs | Final ranking: 24

Get used to watching a lot of ill-advised Trae Young three-pointers. Vince Carter and Jeremy Lin could provide some much needed mentorship to the rookie guard, but their lessons this season will probably be much more helpful for dealing with life off the court. On the court, life is going to be rough for the Hawks and first-year coach Lloyd Pierce

I won't like that.

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Young will score 30 one game, go 2-of-30 with 12 turnovers the next, and throw a half-dozen dazzling passes during both.

WTF???? Is this meant to be a joke?

Just more lazy Hawks-related "analysis".  I've resigned to the fact that we won't get any substantive press for the next 2-3 years.  I don't believe or take anything them dudes say seriously.

"Blah, bwah, I couldn't get folks interested in the Hawks even when they won 60, bleh, blah .."  STFU, clown-a**.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I won't like that.

Again, that's just a lazy line.  We've already heard our staff talk about that not being his role.  Lazy, lazy stuff.  Compared to BSPN's laziness, AHF's mod-skills look superior. Haha.  :happy:

I'm trying to come up with some hashtags for them to commemorate their laziness.  #LazESPN #LazySPN

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Get used to watching a lot of ill-advised Trae Young three-pointers. Vince Carter and Jeremy Lin could provide some much needed mentorship to the rookie guard, but their lessons this season will probably be much more helpful for dealing with life off the court. On the court, life is going to be rough for the Hawks and first-year coach Lloyd Pierce

They are making this guy out to be a low BBIG gunner like Josh Smith.  WOW!

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Just more lazy Hawks-related "analysis".  I've resigned to the fact that we won't get any substantive press for the next 2-3 years.  I don't believe or take anything them dudes say seriously.

"Blah, bwah, I couldn't get folks interested in the Hawks even when they won 60, bleh, blah .."  STFU, clown-a**.

Again, that's just a lazy line.  We've already heard our staff talk about that not being his role.  Lazy, lazy stuff.  Compared to BSPN's laziness, AHF's mod-skills look superior. Haha.  :happy:

I'm trying to come up with some hashtags for them to commemorate their laziness.  #LazESPN #LazySPN

Ur almost as ? as me...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

They are making this guy our to be a low BBIG player like Josh Smith.  WOW!

He took a lot of ill-advised 3's in college and took a lot in summer league so I'm quite interested to see the quality of his shot selection as we near the start of meaningful games.  I hope this ends up being a case of him answering this question and shutting up the critics but I'm frankly expecting some shots that make me shake my head.  I'm also expecting some "no....YES!" shots among those ill-advised long range heaves.

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Young will score 30 one game, go 2-of-30 with 12 turnovers the next, and throw a half-dozen dazzling passes during both.

WTF???? Is this meant to be a joke?

I think this is meant to be hyperbole - the basic idea is sound if you paraphrase it to read "as a rookie he will have some inconsistency with some big games and some really rough ones but his passing will be a consistent source of dazzling moments."  

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

So on board with this.  I had the exact same reaction.  A sixty-win team that put together the greatest month of regular season basketball in league history and played a brand of basketball that was an absolute joy to watch but "I couldn't get folks interested..."  What a douche-bag.  You said it best:  "STFU"

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Early Impressions of Every NBA Team's 1st-Round Picks Entering 2018 Preseason

Trae Young, pick No. 5

The pressure might have hit Young early in summer league, but he eventually got comfortable, finishing with at least 20 points in three of his final four games. 

To score in volume, he'll need his three-ball to fall. Without length or explosiveness, it will be tough for him to convert around the key and basket. There will be games in which Young catches fire and others in which he struggles mightily from the field. 

However, as long as he's given the freedom to dominate the ball, Young's playmaking should be consistent. He's a terrific passer off ball screens and penetration, and his assist game should immediately carry over.

He'll get exposed defensively and athletically. And Young won't shoot an efficient percentage, either inside the arc or behind it. He's still too skilled as a shot-maker and facilitator, and he projects as one of the most productive rookies for 2018-19.

Kevin Huerter, pick No. 19

Huerter has catching up to do after missing summer league. But with the Hawks in rebuilding mode, he'll have every chance to earn minutes over Kent Bazemore, who Atlanta may look to shop after already dealing Dennis Schröder. 

Huerter is one of the draft's top shooters and a versatile offensive player who can handle the ball, create for himself and pass. He should be the Hawks' starting 2-guard by the second half of the season, even if it means rushing his development. Huerter is the future for the Hawks next to Young, and it wouldn't be wise to waste too many minutes on Bazemore or Tyler Dorsey.

Omari Spellman, pick No. 30

Spellman had some impressive stretches of summer league, flashing more than just shooting range. He still needs to improve his body, but he looked quicker off the dribble and facing up.

He'll start the year backing up John Collins, though the No. 30 pick could also log minutes at center for his shot-blocking length and ability to stretch the floor.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2798140-early-impressions-of-every-nba-teams-1st-round-picks-entering-2018-preseason#slide2

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, AHF said:

He took a lot of ill-advised 3's in college and took a lot in summer league so I'm quite interested to see the quality of his shot selection as we near the start of meaningful games.  I hope this ends up being a case of him answering this question and shutting up the critics but I'm frankly expecting some shots that make me shake my head.  I'm also expecting some "no....YES!" shots among those ill-advised long range heaves.

Every 19 year old takes ill advised shots in college but it rarely defines their pro careers

I think this is meant to be hyperbole - the basic idea is sound if you paraphrase it to read "as a rookie he will have some inconsistency with some big games and some really rough ones but his passing will be a consistent source of dazzling moments." 

I doubt very seriously that Trae will lead the team in shot attempts let alone take 30 shots or turn the ball over 12 times in any given game.

• Moderators

Nice how he grossly exagerrated the potential bad game but not the good game.   Young likely will score 30 in a game this season.   The others will not happen.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Every 19 year old takes ill advised shots in college but it rarely defines their pro careers

Are we changing the subject now?  I thought we were discussing a prediction for his rookie season and not what would define his pro career.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I doubt very seriously that Trae will lead the team in shot attempts let alone take 30 shots or turn the ball over 12 times in any given game.

I'm pretty sure there will be games where he leads the team in shot attempts.  Preseason doesn't mean jack squat but he did lead the team in attempts yesterday, for example.  He led the team in SL shot attempts.  Again, neither of these things mean jack squat so you have to wait for the real games to register anything but I can predict with confidence we will see a number of games where he leads the team in shot attempts.

I'm not sure if you read my prior comment but the reference to 30 shot attempts and 12 turnovers is clearly hyperbole.  Hyperbole is defined as "obvious and intentional exaggeration."  It is by definition not meant to be taken literally.  Thus, I will again recommend you don't take it literally.  

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Preseason doesn't mean jack squat but he did lead the team in attempts yesterday, for example.  He led the team in SL shot attempts. 

Yep that means that Bembry will take the 2nd most shots and Prince will take almost no shots. And If you basing your conclusion off of summer league then Dorsey will be 2nd in shot attempts.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Yep that means that Bembry will take the 2nd most shots and Prince will take almost no shots. And If you basing your conclusion off of summer league then Dorsey will be 2nd in shot attempts.

He shot the ball 19.3 times per game last season (more than double anyone on his team), led the team in FGA in SL and led the team in FGA in his first preseason game and you think the idea that he will lead the team in FGA in some of the games this season is laughable?  Give me a break.

If you want to take an avatar bet that he doesn't lead us in FGA at least twice in his first ten games then you are on.  Small bet so I'd say one week of picking the other person's avatar on the line.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

He shot the ball 19.3 times per game last season (more than double anyone on his team), led the team in FGA in SL and led the team in FGA in his first preseason game and you think the idea that he will lead the team in FGA in some of the games this season is laughable?  Give me a break.

If you want to take an avatar bet that he doesn't lead us in FGA at least twice in his first ten games then you are on.  Small bet so I'd say one week of picking the other person's avatar on the line.

Didn't say he wouldn't  shoot the most in a game...He won't lead the team in fga period

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't say he wouldn't  shoot the most in a game...He won't lead the team in fga period

Then why didn't you just agree with me that he will lead the in FGA from time to time?  I made a general statement to that effect and then you made a non-sequitur argument throwing out a red herring like I said you should extrapolate a single preseason game into the likely stats for the entire season.  It was a ridiculous mischaracterization from the moment you typed it. 

I won't be surprised if he leads the team in total FGA or FGA/gm but it should be no one other than John Collins who does that this year.  If it is anyone other than Collins, something is wrong with our offense.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I won't be surprised if he leads the team in total FGA or FGA/gm but it should be no one other than John Collins who does that this year.  If it is anyone other than Collins, something is wrong with our offense.

Like I said before...He will not lead the team in FG attempts this year.