• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prince a breakout candidate (The Ringer)

johnnyde

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/9/19/17878158/nba-breakout-candidates-2018-19

Taurean Prince, Hawks

I wasn’t a Prince fan before the 2016 draft; he was ranked 25th in my NBA draft guide that year because his poor shot selection, careless turnovers, and inconsistent shooting drove me nuts. The senior Baylor forward didn’t know how to play within himself, which often resulted in a failure to elevate his teammates. If an experienced senior is still making bad choices, it’s probably too late for his skill set to blossom. Right? Wrong.

Prince emerged in his sophomore season, making what The Ringer’s Danny Chau described as a “Jimmy Butler–esque leap.” The Hawks utilized Prince all over the floor. One possession he’d jump a passing lane and dribble the ball down the floor for a dunk. The next time up the floor, he’d set a down screen, then pop for a 3, similar to the play the Timberwolves used to run endlessly for Kevin Love. Minutes later, he’d run a pick-and-roll and whip a pass to a 3-point shooter. Prince may never become the next Jimmy Buckets, but there’s a path there for him to carve out a similar career as a two-way player.

Prince had a stellar final stretch of the season, in which he scored at least 20 points in 14 of his final 22 games. He wasn’t exactly efficient over the course of the season (54.9 true shooting percentage), but his steady progress was encouraging. The careless turnovers and shots became less frequent because he got rid of the blinders and started looking for teammates, or simply moved the ball within the flow of the offense. Prince started to take what was there instead of trying to have it all.

The key this season is for Prince to iron out his existing issues. Prince too often lost focus on defense, resulting in opponents driving or cutting by him for easy baskets. This was an even more prominent issue at Baylor, where he’d allow too many backdoor cuts or fail to make rotations in the team’s zone defense. Prince plays hard, but the production isn’t always there.

Prince shot 38.5 percent from 3 last season, and it’s possible that he made tangible progress as a shooter, but he needs to do it again this season to show it’s real. He also turned the ball over 27.3 percent of the time in pick-and-roll situations, which ranked near the bottom of the NBA, per Synergy. The fact he was even put in that role speaks volumes to how much the team values his progress, though; he was being thrown into the fire, but the experience is important. Now that pressure will be alleviated due to the presence of Trae Young and Jeremy Lin, both of whom should balance Prince’s offensive responsibility.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I can’t get into NBA mode yet when I want to literally fight the whole Braves bullpen.  And what’s up with Apple autocorrect not capitalizing “NBA” yet.

Slowly the world turns.  Braves bullpen hold on and their magic # is 6.  As they head for the playoffs, one season winds down and another is loading up their guns to start on their own 82 game expedition.

Few would have thought the Braves would be here in the standings.  This old man is hoping for the very same results from our young Hawks.  Sothron and I are in the very minority in believing along with my two adopted Squawk Grandkids. 

Braves have some very young players.  Hawks have some very young players.  When you have four rookies expected to be a part of your 15 roster and some more with only 1 or 2 years experience, you just don't know, really, what to expect.

Optimism I have.  Always expecting that victory to be waiting for us at the next game on the schedule.  Hawks have some players who could have a great year.  Or, they could literally fail as NBA players.  Until they prove to me that they can't do it, I'm going to continue to believe!

GO ATL HAWKS - BRAVES - FALCONS !!

:biggrin:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sothron said:

The Braves are at least two years ahead of schedule this year. It is exciting to watch them. I do think they will hold on to win the division.

They have been a riot with the base running and fielding.  Both have kept the team afloat amidst streaky hitting from everyone who isn’t a natural (Acuna) and 1 million walks issued from the staff.  The question is why doesn’t Snit have at least a 2 year extentsion?  The coaching staff is near perfect but do you think they looking to boot Snit and promote Wash?

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

They have been a riot with the base running and fielding.  Both have kept the team afloat amidst streaky hitting from everyone who isn’t a natural (Acuna) and 1 million walks issued from the staff.  The question is why doesn’t Snit have at least a 2 year extentsion?  The coaching staff is near perfect but do you think they looking to boot Snit and promote Wash?

I don't see how the team can get away without rewarding him tbh. They went with him over the big name hire and it has definitely worked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Slowly the world turns.  Braves bullpen hold on and their magic # is 6.  As they head for the playoffs, one season winds down and another is loading up their guns to start on their own 82 game expedition.

Few would have thought the Braves would be here in the standings.  This old man is hoping for the very same results from our young Hawks.  Sothron and I are in the very minority in believing along with my two adopted Squawk Grandkids. 

Braves have some very young players.  Hawks have some very young players.  When you have four rookies expected to be a part of your 15 roster and some more with only 1 or 2 years experience, you just don't know, really, what to expect.

Optimism I have.  Always expecting that victory to be waiting for us at the next game on the schedule.  Hawks have some players who could have a great year.  Or, they could literally fail as NBA players.  Until they prove to me that they can't do it, I'm going to continue to believe!

GO ATL HAWKS - BRAVES - FALCONS !!

Baseball and basketball are two different sports.  In baseball, young players can make a bigger impact than they can in basketball because baseball players are brought up through the minor leagues, a true developmental system.  In basketball, you just throw the young guys out there before they are ready to be winning players and watch them fail.  In baseball, guys like Ronald Acuna, Ozzie Albies, these young pitchers....etc.....have all honed their skills in the minors.  We aren't drafting an 18 year old Ian Anderson and putting him into the #3 rotation slot right away.  The Hawks are doing that with Trae Young, and as good as I think he will be down the road, he's not ready right now.  

Also, we do know what to expect, because history shows us that teams with this much youth in the NBA do not succeed in winning games.  

On 9/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, Gray Mule said:

Until they prove to me that they can't do it, I'm going to continue to believe!

GO ATL HAWKS - BRAVES - FALCONS - ATLANTA UNITED!!

Sorry to continue the thread hijack, but I had to update Gramp's post. Gotta include the team setting all kinds of records most likely to bring the city its first championship since '95.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Sorry to continue the thread hijack, but I had to update Gramp's post. Gotta include the team setting all kinds of records most likely to bring the city its first championship since '95.

That come back win against San Jose, wow, Just WOW!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I’m doing the tomahawk chop in my living room as we speak. Reminds me of when I did it as a teen in the 90’s.....bring it baby we r hungry and scrappy! #Braves

• Like 3

On 9/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, johnnyde said:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/9/19/17878158/nba-breakout-candidates-2018-19

Taurean Prince, Hawks

I wasn’t a Prince fan before the 2016 draft; he was ranked 25th in my NBA draft guide that year because his poor shot selection, careless turnovers, and inconsistent shooting drove me nuts. The senior Baylor forward didn’t know how to play within himself, which often resulted in a failure to elevate his teammates. If an experienced senior is still making bad choices, it’s probably too late for his skill set to blossom. Right? Wrong.

Prince emerged in his sophomore season, making what The Ringer’s Danny Chau described as a “Jimmy Butler–esque leap.” The Hawks utilized Prince all over the floor. One possession he’d jump a passing lane and dribble the ball down the floor for a dunk. The next time up the floor, he’d set a down screen, then pop for a 3, similar to the play the Timberwolves used to run endlessly for Kevin Love. Minutes later, he’d run a pick-and-roll and whip a pass to a 3-point shooter. Prince may never become the next Jimmy Buckets, but there’s a path there for him to carve out a similar career as a two-way player.

Prince had a stellar final stretch of the season, in which he scored at least 20 points in 14 of his final 22 games. He wasn’t exactly efficient over the course of the season (54.9 true shooting percentage), but his steady progress was encouraging. The careless turnovers and shots became less frequent because he got rid of the blinders and started looking for teammates, or simply moved the ball within the flow of the offense. Prince started to take what was there instead of trying to have it all.

The key this season is for Prince to iron out his existing issues. Prince too often lost focus on defense, resulting in opponents driving or cutting by him for easy baskets. This was an even more prominent issue at Baylor, where he’d allow too many backdoor cuts or fail to make rotations in the team’s zone defense. Prince plays hard, but the production isn’t always there.

Prince shot 38.5 percent from 3 last season, and it’s possible that he made tangible progress as a shooter, but he needs to do it again this season to show it’s real. He also turned the ball over 27.3 percent of the time in pick-and-roll situations, which ranked near the bottom of the NBA, per Synergy. The fact he was even put in that role speaks volumes to how much the team values his progress, though; he was being thrown into the fire, but the experience is important. Now that pressure will be alleviated due to the presence of Trae Young and Jeremy Lin, both of whom should balance Prince’s offensive responsibility.

Prince shot 30% form 3 in Dec/Jan over 30 games.  He shot over 42% the rest of the year. Shot 41.6% for March/April. During that stretch he was 19.2, 4.8, 3.4 with 2.7 T/O per game as the Hawks main option.  That's pretty stellar for a second year player.