• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

D’Andre Hunter =‘s Pippen

timdawg777

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I think he’s a new age Buck Williams with a little more offense. Still an enforcer/glue quarterback on defense. Basically this would be Schlenk’s Draymond. 

He’s gonna be a good one ☝🏾

I remember Pippen as more of a versatile guy than Deandre as far as overall ball skills but perhaps I’m not recalling 87 Pippen but rather a more polished 1991 vs Lakers finals Pippen. In either case, I don’t see Scottie but I’d love it if he turned out like Pipp.

Actually, come to of that era, isn’t Hunter more of a Horace Grant? Horace with more of a modern day offensive game? I guess I see Hunter as a 4. Keep referring to old PF’s.

The difference is Hunter defends the perimeter better than most wings and guards while being great at defending the paint. He is a rare 1-5 defensive type. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The difference is Hunter defends the perimeter better than most wings and guards while being great at defending the paint. He is a rare 1-5 defensive type. 

Wow. That is rare. Only a handful in the league can do that...maybe 7 or 8 guys. As a Hawks fan I’ve always wanted an awesome point guard (Trae ✅) and a crazy glue defender (Hunter?). That’s pretty awesome. I got my Cam jersey coming but might need a Hunter one too. His D is intense booyyy wooooo weee.. I wouldn’t wanna bring the ball up the court and have that waiting for me. #youngbeast 😬 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

WTF are "elite hips"?

Flexibility in the hips is critical for change of direction when moving laterally. Hunter quick feet, paired with his great hips and great length with big arms and strong centered based makes him primed for defense 2-5. His flat footedness hurt on him on combo moves or just a player with a great first step. This could be an issue as a 3 in the NBA. Especially v. Guys who are quick at the position. 

Flexibility is one of the most critcal needs to elite defense. Will, focus and feel is the others as well as endurance and stamina. 

I can't figure out how to embedded video, but i keep seeing a lot of Shane Battier in Hunter.  Battier at Duke for example. Similar size, similar defensive chops, and Shane could shoot, but wasn't a great leaper. 

If you want to see how ridiculous Battier was on defense, watch him against Kobe (ok that video imbed seemed to work):

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

I can't figure out how to embedded video, but i keep seeing a lot of Shane Battier in Hunter.  Battier at Duke for example. Similar size, similar defensive chops, and Shane could shoot, but wasn't a great leaper. 

If you want to see how ridiculous Battier was on defense, watch him against Kobe (ok that video imbed seemed to work):

I like this comparison a lot. The way they work on D and know where to be at exact moments. Good comparison to whose ur daddy for sure.

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I like this comparison a lot. The way they work on D and know where to be at exact moments. Good comparison to whose ur daddy for sure.

Shane had 2+ steals and blocks a game at Duke 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Shane had 2+ steals and blocks a game at Duke 

Wow. I don’t remember his exact stats but remember us wanting to draft him and some reports had us trading down to 6 with the Grizz to get him. I remember at the time I didn’t want him because of a low ceiling. Oops 😬He was a rock for the 🚀 in that huge Gay trade too.

Whose ur daddy was the man indeed. Hoping Hunter turns out similarly.

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

Wow. I don’t remember his exact stats but remember us wanting to draft him and some reports had us trading down to 6 with the Grizz to get him. I remember at the time I didn’t want him because of a low ceiling. Oops 😬He was a rock for the 🚀 in that huge Gay trade too.

I'm hoping Hunter can reach a level that Battier never did.  Battier was a real nice 4th guy on your team.  He represents a good return on our pick but I've got hopes for more.

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Battier had better perimeter chops on both ends but Hunter is a much much more versatile player. 2-5 he can play and 1-5 he can defend

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm hoping Hunter can reach a level that Battier never did.  Battier was a real nice 4th guy on your team.  He represents a good return on our pick but I've got hopes for more.

I hope Hunter is better but if he turns out a Battier like career...I’m not horribly upset. Specially winning games and that aspect of it. Not so much the numbers.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Battier had better perimeter chops on both ends but Hunter is a much much more versatile player. 2-5 he can play and 1-5 he can defend

I still can’t wrap my head around it. Guarding 1-5 is not easy people. Schlenk got a 1-5 defender and Cam. 

Still feels like a dream.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I hope Hunter is better but if he turns out a Battier like career...I’m not horribly upset. Specially winning games and that aspect of it. Not so much the numbers.

Agree with that.  It won't push you to a ring (if we won it would have to be others doing the heavy lifting) but he will be strong contributor for a long time if he pans out like Battier.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Deng was a better athlete, better steals and blocks rate, not quite the feel for the game or BBIQ that Hunter has. 

Hunter strengths are the ability to defend 1-5

Great base

Tremendous at recover and man defense.

Tremendous and covering space

Elite team defender

Can score from all three levels

good close out slasher

great decision maker

great basic passer

good feel for the game off the ball

Great length, standing reach and wingspan

weaknesses

no wiggle

lack of creativity on handles

average 1st step

average slasher

average finisher in traffic

Struggles to beat you when he can't use BBIQ or your lack there of. 

Timid on offense

streaky shooter

slow hands

relies too much on instincts

Rolando Blackman

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I still can’t wrap my head around it. Guarding 1-5 is not easy people. Schlenk got a 1-5 defender and Cam. 

Still feels like a dream.

He is one of the few who can do it. He is prone to dribble drives but his length and instincts should help him once he understands the quality of the league. Not to mention Trae busing his ass in practice. He is a rare defender. 

Cam is always the gem. Can defend the perimeter. Excellent off the ball instincts. Lighting hands. Covers a lot of space with each slide. Uses his feet well, has some Zo Ball potential. Issues are overaggressness and the communication has to be much better than it was at Duke. We need VC for real this year. Cam defensive style fits into our pace and high octane offense 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He is one of the few who can do it. He is prone to dribble drives but his length and instincts should help him once he understands the quality of the league. Not to mention Trae busing his ass in practice. He is a rare defender. 

Cam is always the gem. Can defend the perimeter. Excellent off the ball instincts. Lighting hands. Covers a lot of space with each slide. Uses his feet well, has some Zo Ball potential. Issues are overaggressness and the communication has to be much better than it was at Duke. We need VC for real this year. Cam defensive style fits into our pace and high octane offense 

If not VC I wanted Ariza to teach Cam. Just the professionalism thing and overall good mentor but Trevor will come at a cost and probably wants a contender although he’s getting old. Luc Mbah is my other choice who worked with Lloyd in Philly.