Umm Coach Pierce?

marco102

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Has the below been discussed?

Coach Pierce with the shade at Trae's dad. @kg01 couldn't have done it better. 

Ray wasn't happy with Lloyd's comments about Trae not making the USA BB team.  

I don't speak Twitter-ese so maybe I'm misinterpreting.

It sounds like he's thanking young for what he said?

One-a you teenagers translate for me, please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Haha it was a clap back.

It's just a little petty drama that isn't too serious.

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I didn't read any shade in there either. Sounded like nothing but respect. Young and CLP aren't teenagers anyways, no translation necessary.

Edited by bleachkit

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Old guy, Twitter literate translation - 

Young's dad - I really appreciate that my son is getting advice from someone that looks like him (ie person of color). Stating that should be a consideration for him having the job. Attaboy Hawks for giving Pierce a chance to be a coach and mentor, it should continue.

Pierce - Thanks, I appreciate that but I don't see color when I see my players, I see people I'm responsible for. I treat them all equally, that's just my style.

That's how I read that and in case no one on the board has heard me say it before, CLP is one of if not my favorite Hawks coach of all time.  He is always teaching, very cerebral in his approach. He pulls players aside, calms them down to refocus them and he does the 1 thing that has been sorely missing in Atlanta since the days of Lenny Wilkens. He protects his players. He will get in the face of a ref and take an ejection to save a player, make a statement for his team. We've had some real marshmallows here (Stotts cough cough). The lack of individual caring and coaching is my biggest criticism of Bud. He would let players drown in their mistakes. Bud was a good X's and O's guy but is terrible with relationships. Pierce understands the nuances of the game and I love him for it. 

I'm pretty sure you're much, muuuuch older than I (😁) so I'm moderately ashamed you're able to interpret and I'm not.

🤓

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I didn't read any shade in there either. Sounded like nothing but respect. Young and CLP aren't teenagers anyways, no translation necessary.

You know what @bleachkit and @thecampster.  You're right.  I was letting my memory of the below cloud my judgement. 

https://theathletic.com/1603063/2020/02/12/hawks-mailbag-trae-young-lloyd-pierce-relationship-what-to-do-about-john-collins-situation-and-more/

After the Magic game, Pierce clarified his initial comments. Pierce acknowledged that he saw some of the backlash he was receiving for his initial comments.

“He is one of the top players in the NBA,” Pierce said. “He deserves to be a first-time All-Star this year, he deserves to be a starter, and he deserves an opportunity to the Olympics. And his time will come.”

Young’s father, in a since-deleted tweet, responded, “Chill out bro,” in response to a fan tweeting, “Lloyd Pierce is the best coach for Trae Young. I love the way he’s helping him grow. Slow and steady wins the race.” Young’s father also “liked” several tweets from fans expressing their displeasure about Pierce’s initial comments, including one that read, “Clown answer.”

Young and his father are incredibly close. His father is at many of the Hawks’ games, home and away, and they talk about everything that is going on. It’s almost a guarantee that they have discussed the Olympics snub and Pierce’s comments.

There definitely needs to be some growth in the Young-Pierce relationship.

Chris  was giving his opinion. I apologize for spreading misinformation as that's one of my biggest pet peaves.  

whispers @kg01 too.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2