• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Redo #1.

Diesel

• Premium Member

If you had a chance to redo 2019 NBA draft....   What would you change about the Atlanta Hawks Selections?   Or  Would you keep it all the same?

# Team Player H W P School C
1 pelicans.jpg New Orleans Zion Williamson 6-6 280 PF Duke Fr.
2 mem_25_1.gif Memphis Ja Morant 6-3 175 PG Murray St. So.
3 nyk_25_1.gif New York RJ Barrett 6-7 210 SG Duke Fr.
4 atl_25.jpg *Atlanta DeAndre Hunter 6-7 225 SF/PF Virginia So.
5 cle_25_1.gif *Cleveland Darius Garland 6-2 175 PG Vanderbilt Fr.
6 min_25_1.gif Minnesota Jarrett Culver 6-6 195 SG Texas Tech So.
7 chi_25_1.gif Chicago Coby White 6-5 190 PG/SG North Carolina Fr.
8 pelicans.jpg New Orleans Jaxson Hayes 6-11 220 PF/C Texas Fr.
9 dc.gif Washington Rui Hachimura 6-8 235 PF Gonzaga Jr.
10 atl_25.jpg *Atlanta Cameron Reddish 6-8 210 SG/SF Duke Fr.
11 pho_25_0.gif Phoenix Cameron Johnson 6-8 205 SF North Carolina Sr.
12 cha.jpg Charlotte PJ Washington 6-8 230 PF Kentucky So.
13 mia_25_1.gif Miami Tyler Herro 6-6 195 SG Kentucky Fr.
14 bos_25_0.gif *Boston Romeo Langford 6-6 210 SG Indiana Fr.
15 det_25.jpg Detroit Sekou Doumbouya 6-9 230 SF/PF France Intl.
16 orl_25_0.gif Orlando Chuma Okeke 6-8 235 SF/PF Auburn So.
17 pelicans.jpg *New Orleans Nickeil Alexander-Walker 6-5 205 SG Virginia Tech So.
18 ind_25_1.gif Indiana Goga Bitadze 6-11 250 C Rep. of Georgia Intl.
19 sas_25_0.gif San Antonio Luka Samanic 6-11 230 PF Croatia Intl.
20 phi_25_1.gif *Philadelphia Matisse Thybulle 6-6 200 SG/SF Washington Sr.
21 mem_25_1.gif Memphis Brandon Clarke 6-8 210 PF/C Gonzaga Jr.
22 bos_25_0.gif Boston Grant Williams 6-7 240 PF Tennessee Jr.
23 okc_25_1.gif *Oklahoma Cty Darius Bazley 6-9 210 SF/PF USA N/A
24 pho_25_0.gif *Phoenix Ty Jerome 6-5 195 PG Virginia Jr.
25 por_25_1.gif Portland Nassir Little 6-6 225 SF North Carolina Fr.
26 cle_25_1.gif *Cleveland Dylan Windler 6-7 195 SG/SF Belmont Sr.
27 lac_25_1.gif *LA Clippers Mfiondu Kabengele 6-10 255 PF/C Florida St. So.
28 gsw_25_1.gif Golden St. Jordan Poole 6-5 190 PG/SG Michigan So.
29 sas_25_0.gif *San Antonio Keldon Johnson 6-6 215 SG/SF Kentucky Fr.
30 cle_25_1.gif *Cleveland Kevin Porter 6-5 215 SG/SF USC Fr.

• Premium Member

Draft Redo Question of the week....

What was the worst Draft mistake that the Hawks ever made?

1.  Marvin Williams over Chris Paul?

2.  Josh Childress over Andre Iguodala?

3.  Andriene Payne over Nikola Jokic  (actually there were a whole slew of players here)?

4.  Lucas Nogueira over Rudy Gobert?

5.  Trading Pau Gasol for Shareef?

6.  Trading Luke for Trae?

I would do the same thing but flip the order of Cam and Hunter. I still feel the need of Hunter is worth it at 10 but Cam is a legit top 5 pick. 

To me, just based on what I saw as rookies

1. Zion - Zion in his short period was just insane. His value on offense was elite. 

2. Ja - His value wasn't as good offensively as Trae as a rookie but his defense was superior. I think he will be special. 

3. R.J. - I felt R.J. went to the worst situation in the draft and it showed. If he went to Boston, we would be talking about how special he is. I am still extremely high on him. 

4. Cam - He had a tremendous 2nd half after a tremendously bad 1st half. He has to put it all together like Trae did in year 2. If he does, he's likely in a class with Ja and Zion. 

5. Herro - Clearly a top tier scoring guard. Someone who MIA should keep moving forward. His defense is better than people think. He can be a very good player down the road. 

After that, Clarke, Coby, Goga, Rui, then Hunter for me. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Draft Redo Question of the week....

What was the worst Draft mistake that the Hawks ever made?

1.  Marvin Williams over Chris Paul?

2.  Josh Childress over Andre Iguodala?

3.  Andriene Payne over Nikola Jokic  (actually there were a whole slew of players here)?

4.  Lucas Nogueira over Rudy Gobert?

5.  Trading Pau Gasol for Shareef?

6.  Trading Luke for Trae?

Why are you asking these questions, outside of 6, the Hawks easily lost all 5, 6 is up in the air. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Why are you asking these questions, outside of 6, the Hawks easily lost all 5, 6 is up in the air. 

Yeah.. but worse.. Which one was the worst mistake. 

Believe it or not, I say 3. 

Oh man, I've used tons of bandwidth here railing the Hawks over 1 and 2. Drafting Marvin cost them a HOFer and not only was Iguodala available when they selected a dude who had the shooting mechanics of a 3rd grader but BK also passed over Al Jefferson and Luol Deng as well. That alone changes the course of the franchise during that era, assuming that Joe Johnson still comes here; from eventually becoming a fringe playoff team that really had no real shot come playoff time to one with a lot more firepower and potential. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Dejay said:

Oh man, I've used tons of bandwidth here railing the Hawks over 1 and 2. Drafting Marvin cost them a HOFer and not only was Iguodala available when they selected a dude who had the shooting mechanics of a 3rd grader but BK also passed over Al Jefferson and Luol Deng as well. That alone changes the course of the franchise during that era, assuming that Joe Johnson still comes here; from eventually becoming a fringe playoff team that really had no real shot come playoff time to one with a lot more firepower and potential. 

:laugh1::laugh1:

I try not to look back because it's depressing!

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I don't think I would change our picks, or at a minimum, I don't feel like I know enough about some of these guys yet to want to swap.  I'm assuming we took Hunter at 4 because he had other suitors, or I would agree with Supes that Cam deserves the #4 pick rookie contract.  I think Herro might look a lot different with a different team, so I don't know that I'd want him here necessarily.  I like him though and hope he continues to develop and play well in Miami.

RJ is definitely in a bad situation, but I just really don't like his game anyways.  I feel like his best case is being a watered down Melo.  I don't think he's a #1 option type of player and won't shine until he's on a team where he doesn't have to carry the load offensively.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I tend to think that the Jon Koncak pick was a favor. 

Don't think that would make it any less of a mistake but you've got me curious.  What leads you to conclude that it was a favor?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Don't think that would make it any less of a mistake but you've got me curious.  What leads you to conclude that it was a favor?

Well, if memory serves me correctly...  Koncak just missed the death penalty that was handed down at SMU.   It happened right as he was being drafted.  And his agent (Sherwood Blount Jr) was deeply involved in paying students to play.  I believe that it was said that Stan Kasten and Sherwood Blount Jr. had dealings together in real estate and baseball.   My guess is that Blount may have worked out a deal for Koncak that would net Kasten future benefits. Allegedly. 

Because it's mighty odd that 

1.  Koncak was never indicted in the SMU scandal. 

2.  The Hawks took him so high. 

3.   He took a lowball contract with the Hawks upon signing.   I think he signed for 400k - 500k when he did sign with us.   His draft position should have gotten him at least 1 million. 

3b.  The Jon Koncak Contract...   Who negotiated the terms?  Was it Kasten and Blount?  Babcock didn't come in until  93??

It's all just guess work... but I tend to think that that particular move was more about a favor than BPA.