• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could we sign Kawhi Leonard?

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

The moves I'd make this offseason would be on the edges with the exception of Capela. I'd consider moving him if a deal presented itself. 

What kind of deal would you be considering that will get us back to the ECFs next season?

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What kind of deal would you be considering that will get us back to the ECFs next season?

I knew someone would ask. To be perfectly honest, I don't yet have a trade in mind. My comment spoke more to my changing opinion on Capela. Coming into the playoffs, I had him in the untouchable core category. But after watching his lack of impact in the playoffs, I just wonder if he's actually untouchable. 

Let me be clear, I like Clint a lot. I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of him. I'm just not sure I'd keep him as an untouchable part of the core. 

I know that didn't answer the question but it's the best I got right now. I'll try to put together a potential trade at some point. 

5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Kawhi can help you win today, but he is also leaving teams in shambles .

SAS & Toronto both rebuilding after years of competing. LAC has virtually no draft picks because of Kawhi, if he leaves them they are screwed.

He comes with too much baggage. Only plays 60% of games, and then still gets hurt every year.

Its a steep price for a guy who wont be a vocal leader for your team.

Go ask Toronto if they’d do that trade again. And didn’t the Clippers get gutted in their pursuit of PG-13? I recognize Kawhi wanted to play with George, but that wouldn’t be a concern here with the roster we already have in place. 

I see a lot of people just dismissing this idea in the thread. Did y’all watch what Kawhi did to the Mavs and then Utah before his injury? He looked like the best player on the planet. 

I’m not saying I’d sign Kawhi, but I’d at least be interested to see how we could get it done. If the price is too steep, then it’s too steep and it’s a pass. But you can’t just dismiss the idea.

In his one year in the East, Kawhi dominated the conference on his way to a championship. He was doing the same thing this post season before his injury. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I knew someone would ask. To be perfectly honest, I don't yet have a trade in mind. My comment spoke more to my changing opinion on Capela. Coming into the playoffs, I had him in the untouchable core category. But after watching his lack of impact in the playoffs, I just wonder if he's actually untouchable. 

Let me be clear, I like Clint a lot. I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of him. I'm just not sure I'd keep him as an untouchable part of the core. 

I know that didn't answer the question but it's the best I got right now. I'll try to put together a potential trade at some point. 

Trae is our only 'Untouchable'. 

The way I see it, any consideration for a trade has to get us back to the ECF point, I'm not interested in taking steps back.

Easy to say trade, harder to say who for that keeps us elevated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae is our only 'Untouchable'. 

The way I see it, any consideration for a trade has to get us back to the ECF point, I'm not interested in taking steps back.

Easy to say trade, harder to say who for that keeps us elevated.

Oh I agree with that. That's why I'm not interested in gutting the young core. My untouchables are Trae, Hunter, Cam, OO, and Bogie.

• Like 1

NO!  Easy answer.  Why?  He just costs too much.  Probably cost at least two starters and a couple of bench players.  If he wants to come here on a vet minimum contract as a free agent. fine and dandy.  He ain't.

Raze our current team?  No way.  Atlanta has worked too hard to get here to be messing it up now.  They may swap some players.  Hopefully, not too many of our core.  

Swap Capela off?  Because of his free throw shooting I would consider this.  That's my biggest gripe with him.  He really needs to spend this entire off season working on this.  We're told most all NBA players plan to work on something in the off season.  Line drive Capela needs to improve here the most..

Most Squawk posters believe that, if 100% healthy, this team has championship potential.  We want our players to improve and make minor moves, not trash what brought us here.

GO BIG A

:sun:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Outside of 2K, I have no idea how the cap works on trades lol. Does anyone know if we could trade Galo to a team with cap space and not take much (if any) salary back?

Yes we can, but that team would have to want Gallo and we'd most likely have to send them an asset, like a protected 1st to take his contract.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes we can, but that team would have to want Gallo and we'd most likely have to send them an asset, like a protected 1st to take his contract.

Thanks, that's what I thought. IF we could find such a scenario, we'd have almost $40M in cap space by my math and could sign him outright.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Thanks, that's what I thought. IF we could find such a scenario, we'd have almost $40M in cap space by my math and could sign him outright.

We'd have $28 million in capspace if we trade Gallo into capspace.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We'd have $28 million in capspace if we trade Gallo into capspace.

Are you 100% sure on that $28 million number??? Or are you waiting to sign JC?  Signing JC isn't going to be a time table we can control. I'm not sure you want to bank on that route.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Are you 100% sure on that $28 million number??? Or are you waiting to sign JC?  Signing JC isn't going to be a time table we can control. I'm not sure you want to bank on that route.

I was reponding to the question if we traded Gallo to a team with capspace and got nothing back what would be our starting capspace. I accounted for Dunn's option and JC's caphold plus guaranteed contracts.  Did I miss something?

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was reponding to the question if we traded Gallo to a team with capspace and got nothing back what would be our starting capspace. I accounted for Dunn's option and JC's caphold plus guaranteed contracts.  Did I miss something?

No that's right except within 48 hours of JC signing a deal with someone, we'll have to match so we don't control that timetable the same as if he was just a free agent. Conceptually right I guess but I was just assuming JC signs for more. Assuming you can get a deal done before a market opens up for him, yes.

1 New York Knicks               $51,312,098  
2 San Antonio Spurs               $48,948,260  
3 Oklahoma City Thunder

$37,480,948  
4 Dallas Mavericks

$34,330,552

But one of those 4 with that projected cap space is throwing a serious offer at JC that we may not match.  In 2 years, both Hunter and Cam should be better than JC and you'll want money to sign both.

2023 Trae, Cam, Hunter would probably be the best 1-3 in the NBA if they live up to their potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

No that's right except within 48 hours of JC signing a deal with someone, we'll have to match so we don't control that timetable the same as if he was just a free agent. Conceptually right I guess but I was just assuming JC signs for more. Assuming you can get a deal done before a market opens up for him, yes.

I get that, I assumed the poster was asking regarding clearing capspace to sign Leonard who is eligible for a starting salary of $39 mil.

Regarding RFA, I don't think I've seen much of those contracts offered early in FAcy, they usually come after the first few days frenzy especially if the team says 'we'll match any offer' - teams don't want to tie up their capspace for 48 hours while other FAs are getting signed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:
1 New York Knicks               $51,312,098  
2 San Antonio Spurs               $48,948,260  
3 Oklahoma City Thunder

$37,480,948  
4 Dallas Mavericks

$34,330,552

But one of those 4 with that projected cap space is throwing a serious offer at JC that we may not match.  In 2 years, both Hunter and Cam should be better than JC and you'll want money to sign both.

2023 Trae, Cam, Hunter would probably be the best 1-3 in the NBA if they live up to their potential.

These are the projected salary cap figures for the next 3 years due to smoothing the cap due to cover COVID related losses. I do wonder if those numbers have a chance of increasing more than anticipated.

2021-2022: $112 million and $136.6 million
2022-2023: $115.7 million and $140 million
2023-2024: $119.2 million and $144.9 million

I'm so torn on the JC signing. I really don't want to tie that money up long term.  In the early days of drafting Cam, Supes was on the now famous Cam = Randy Moss beer goggles rant and I cautioned that Cam would take 2-3 years to start to flash real potential. Well...2 years is gone and we are just now starting to see what he can be when the man strength comes in. I never argued with Supes premise, just his timetable. We are 2 years from the same decisions being made on Hunter/Reddish after having to make the same decisions with Trae/Huerter. Its a lotta money with a shrinking cap. If I had to bet, they'll try to use Huerter as bait in a move to flip Gallo. There just isn't going to be room for all 5 and Kevin is going to be an 8 digit salary too. Choices will have to be made (just not right now).

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These are the projected salary cap figures for the next 3 years due to smoothing the cap due to cover COVID related losses. I do wonder if those numbers have a chance of increasing more than anticipated.

2021-2022: $112 million and $136.6 million
2022-2023: $115.7 million and $140 million
2023-2024: $119.2 million and $144.9 million

Same thought but such a gamble.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Same thought but such a gamble.

I saw something in passing about a possible cap spike in 2 years due to TV contracts?  but I don't remember the details. That seemed quick to me  I'll see if I can find the article.