• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member

Definitely agree with you his strong suit is drafting -- Schlenk is a great scout and seems to have a good grasp on the intangible factors for who he drafts (work ethic, personality, etc).  I was luke warm on OO for instance but after seeing him play 50 games, I see why we took him.  He hasn't made any egregiously bad moves and he's done a good job building around Trae imo (despite how we look right now).  I do wonder how he's going to do now that the draft is no longer relevant and we need to manage our cap situation tightly.  This trade deadline could be make or break for him if he does any large moves, but I'd wager we'll see a lot more activity in the offseason.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Definitely agree with you his strong suit is drafting -- Schlenk is a great scout and seems to have a good grasp on the intangible factors for who he drafts (work ethic, personality, etc).  I was luke warm on OO for instance but after seeing him play 50 games, I see why we took him.  He hasn't made any egregiously bad moves and he's done a good job building around Trae imo (despite how we look right now).  I do wonder how he's going to do now that the draft is no longer relevant and we need to manage our cap situation tightly.  This trade deadline could be make or break for him if he does any large moves, but I'd wager we'll see a lot more activity in the offseason.

Yep. He's done a good job on his big trades. 

Carroll trade for two 1sts which helped us get Capela and Hunter. 

He overpaid for Hunter and that's still up in the air but so far, he has a chance to win that deal. 

Capela deal is looking like a win. Poku is showing flashes but he wasn't gonna get in our rotation anyway.

Trae and Cam for Luka deal will likely be up in the air till their careers end. 

But he's lost nearly most of the small deals or it's been negligible. This Delon deal is looking like it might be a win in a Teague deal way and that's not good. Negligible wins are similar to Negligible losses. 

He hasn't really had to make a major risk yet outside of the Carroll deal and he got well compensated for it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Travis has lost more trades than he's won but the Capela trade looks like a clear win. 

Ferry is the GOAT in Hawks history for trades and signings. Sadly, he is worse at drafting than even BK but BK had lottery picks so it's not a fair comparison. 

Travis will have to earn his bones moving future with extensions and trades. This is where Ferry shined and BK did well. So far Travis has underwhelmed. 

Interesting to see how Travis does. This is obviously gonna make or break him. 

For BK, his poor drafting got him fired. 

For Ferry, his racism got him fired or he would still be here.

First.. let me speak on Ferry for a moment.   Ferry was not the GOAT as far as signings are concerned.  He put us in a place where all of our contracts were up at the same time.   OFf of a 60 win season, we had Millsap, Al, and DMC all contracts being up and only Al having Bird Rights coming at the same time.   Ferry was by result an anti-extension guy and that lost us talent. 

I think when you look at GMs, you have to look at more than just specific moves but look at Blueprint. 

BK and Ferry had the same blueprint.   Firesale, Build with versatile players.  For BK it was Long and interchangable.   For Ferry it was skilled and interchangable. 

Travis doesn't have that same blueprint. 

Sure he did the firesale and build with his guys...   But for Travis, his guys are not long... see Trae... and they are not interchangable.   More precisely, it seems as Travis takes the best specialty guys he can find. 

Cap - Specialty guy.

Trae - Specialty guy.

Bogi/Gallo - Specialty Guys. 

That's why when you look at our team, we have a lot of guys who are either good on one side of the ball or the other. 

JC is the only guy that is different.   JC pretty much made himself into a much better defender and more efficient player than he was forecasted to be. 

What will make Travis a super GM is if he can get three things on this Hawks team:

1.  A very strong 3 and D starter. 

2.   A JYD Goon type of player.  - Could have been SOLO

3.  A star starter who can command the defenses attention and can score without help. 

The reason I call for PG13 is because he is a 3 and D starter who can get his own shot... he fills the 1 and 3 boxes.   We need a defender or two because our guys don't put forth the right effort on defense.   The Lakers Revival has been because Guys are trying harder on the defensive end of the ball.   I think for a moment in last years playoffs, our guys focused on defense because they were on the big stage.  I think those comebacks showed them what they could do if they focused on defense.  But let us not forget, those guys who cameback are the same guys who got behind.   Therefore, this problem of giving up points has always been there... even in our best moments.  But the effectiveness of our offense + the spots of good defense led us to win. 

We need more than just spots of Good defense. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Coming off of a 60 win season, we had Millsap, Al, and DMC all contracts being up

Not true. Carroll and Milsap were FAs, Millsap was resigned on a 2+1 deal.  Carrol left for a big payday to Toronto. Al was a FA the following year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not true. Carroll and Milsap were FAs, Millsap was resigned on a 2+1 deal.  Carrol left for a big payday to Toronto. Al was a FA the following year.

The point is still we were handcuffed because our team was cap tight and two non-bird contracts were up.   Carrol left for a big payday because we couldn't pay him any more than the fixed amount because we had no bird rights.   Ferry's failure was that he didn't sign either guy to an extension before their contracts were up.  And you can miss me with whatever hindsight talk you have about DMC in Toronto. That's not the point... when you have a guy who fits a role on your 60 win team and you lose him.. it has an effect.  And that's what happened. 

20 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The point is still we were handcuffed because our team was cap tight and two non-bird contracts were up.   Carrol left for a big payday because we couldn't pay him any more than the fixed amount because we had no bird rights.   Ferry's failure was that he didn't sign either guy to an extension before their contracts were up.  And you can miss me with whatever hindsight talk you have about DMC in Toronto. That's not the point... when you have a guy who fits a role on your 60 win team and you lose him.. it has an effect.  And that's what happened. 

Carroll and Sap both turned down more years to come to Atlanta. They didn't want that. That being said, we could have done a SnT for a 2nd rounder for the rights of Carroll like we did for Thabo so that's where I agree with you on DMC.

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Diesel said:

1. Guys on 2 year contracts could not be extended

2. Millsap was initially offered a 4 year deal which he and his agent declined since they knew the cap would be rising.

3. Carroll did not come close to living up to his Toronto contract

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Carroll and Sap both turned down more years to come to Atlanta. They didn't want that. That being said, we could have done a SnT for a 2nd rounder for the rights of Carroll like we did for Thabo so that's where I agree with you on DMC.

We would have had to have money under the cap to sign Carroll to that $15 million deal to get a 2nd rounder.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No, we trade a 2nd rounder for his BR like we did for Thabo.

If you mean a trade from Utah to get his bird rights, I don't think they had any either - he was on a 2 year contract with them prior.  They signed him outright on a 2 year deal.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:10 PM, NBASupes said:

You mean the Athletic and Chris Krishner 

I been slacking lately so I'm back with a vengeance now.

If this doesn't get you (tw)irked, I dont know what will ..

Capela/Reddish to TOR for Dragic, Bonga, Achiwu, protected 1st

Your thoughts?

Edited by kg01
  • Sad 1

Just now, kg01 said:

Capela/Reddish to TOR for Dragic, Bingaman, Achiwu, protected 1st

Your thoughts?

It looks pretty awful just like 99% of the rest of them. I like how there is never any redeeming factors in the offers

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Capela/Reddish to TOR for Dragic, Bonga, Achiwu, protected 1st

Your thoughts?

I already gave him my thoughts.

• Haha 1