• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wins for the coming 2022-23 season.

The Sporting News guesstimated that the Falcons record this upcoming season would be 4-13. Ouch!  Seems that everyone believes that missing Matty Ice being under center will be a disaster.  Will we truly be that terrible?  I always see everything with rose colored glasses, but I was thinking more like 8-9 or 9-8.  

What do you think?  

😎

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

The Sporting News guesstimated that the Falcons record this upcoming season would be 4-13. Ouch!  Seems that everyone believes that missing Matty Ice being under center will be a disaster.  Will we truly be that terrible?  I always see everything with rose colored glasses, but I was thinking more like 8-9 or 9-8.  

What do you think?  

😎

I agree with you.   Granted i'm not that familiar with the roster moves but seems like we've done things to improve.  We aren't tanking.  We have options at QB.  

• Thanks 1

It's true.  This is not last season's Falcon team.  Top receiver played 3 or 4 games, then sat out the remainder of the season.  While sitting, he gambled on NFL games, was caught and suspended for this season.  Falcon's 1st draft pick was a big old boy, wide receiver who also played basketball in school.  He will start.

Matty Ice played the entire season.  The older QB left for greener pastures.  Falcons found and signed a former 1st round QB pick.  In the draft they added a great winning QB.

Last year's Falcon team couldn't get to the opponent's QB.  Lowest in the NFL.  They have added two edge rushers who have had great success in college with a lot of QB sacks.  

With the other draft picks + all the free agents signed on "make good" contracts, this should be a winning combination next season.

Spud, I hope the NFL believes as you do.  It will make it easier to sneak up on them.

😇

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

From an outsiders point of view, I have the Falcons going 2-15 with wins over the Browns in week 4 and the Panther in week 8, both at home. Falcons end up with a top 3 pick.

Is that your educated opinion or your hope?   Just curious.  Do you think they are deliberately tanking?  I feel like there were some improvements last season and unless our QB is just awful we could continue to improve a little.   I guess some depends on whether we're playing Mariota or the rook. 

And don't forget we have the #1 offensive player in the league:

GettyImages-1191597900.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Is that your educated opinion or your hope? 

No way would it my hope. I honestly root for the Falcons anytime they aren’t playing the Lions. I just think the Falcons are gonna struggle a bit as they retool/rebuild. Love Pitts and adding London and Ridder is an exciting start.

• Like 1

Don't really know if they are just "blowing smoke" or not, but Falcons GM and head coach both are really, really excited about all their draft picks.  All come to Atlanta as players full of fight.  Some talking heads didn't like where any of them were drafted, thinking that better players were available.

Who will prove to be correct?  All the scouts and officials of the Falcons?  The "experts" we see on TV?

Lots of free agents signed to one year "prove it" deals.  Already, players from last season are being released.  Just finished a trade for a pretty good wide receiver from the Raiders, who had too many.  

🧑‍🔧

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:43 AM, macdaddy said:

Is that your educated opinion or your hope?   Just curious.  Do you think they are deliberately tanking?  I feel like there were some improvements last season and unless our QB is just awful we could continue to improve a little.   I guess some depends on whether we're playing Mariota or the rook. 

And don't forget we have the #1 offensive player in the league:

GettyImages-1191597900.jpg

Young Ho was at the Braves game! Love that dude! Also, I kinda took offense at your slight shot/question about me wanting the Falcons to lose. I owned a falcons cap 🧢 once (only other hat besides lions nfl) in 91.  I hated the Niners with a passion and they were in the same division. Then I tooted for Andre Rison over Deion with the helmet 🪖 slap 👋 fest. Again with the late 90’s Falcons with Jamal.

Nah, Falcons over anyone but the lions for me. They family to me. Like TNT/TBS … or something like that.

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weakest part of last year's Falcons?  The line, both offense and defense.  Fewest sacks.  Most sacks allowed.  That's a formula for sure failure.  The question that must be answered.  Did we improve here?

We will not really know until the actual season is here.  Several free agents added, and some old vets cut recently.  Drafted some new linemen.

Receiver unit was bad because of after-season losses but that has been corrected.  If our lines are better, Falcons improve.  If they are not better, we are in for a terrible, long season.

I know.  Falcons will have a new QB.  Forget this.  Whether our line is good or bad will be the determining factor.  We will live or die by their work.  

🧑‍🔧

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 5/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Spud2nique said:

Young Ho was at the Braves game! Love that dude! Also, I kinda took offense at your slight shot/question about me wanting the Falcons to lose. I owned a falcons cap 🧢 once (only other hat besides lions nfl) in 91.  I hated the Niners with a passion and they were in the same division. Then I tooted for Andre Rison over Deion with the helmet 🪖 slap 👋 fest. Again with the late 90’s Falcons with Jamal.

Nah, Falcons over anyone but the lions for me. They family to me. Like TNT/TBS … or something like that.

I couldn't remember if you had any issues with the falcons.  it wasn't a slight.   But in a way that's worse that your actual opinion is we'll win 2-3 games.  That would suck.   I don't follow it super closely but I saw really promising things from a coaching standpoint last year and honestly the D was better than it looked in stats.  

Folks think i'm a hater but when you're QB can't get a first down in the second half and can't extend any plays and can't convert in the red zone then the D just gets exhausted.  And I say that as a huge Ryan fan.  I love the guy i just think he only works on a team that is stacked with great players.   I think Mariota has a chance to make this a decent team.  Of course i don't know if he's even healthy.   

If we're tanking though i'd love to see the rook.  

• Like 2

Pick up the broken pieces.  Try to put them back together again.  This is the Falcon's mantra.  Starting with the QB.  He's had injuries.  He's been a starter, then lost his job.  After being a backup for a while, he's here now, looking to start again.

Some free agents signed are recovering.  They missed time recently.  Hoping they are well and hoping to show everyone that they are OK.  Falcons can take a chance on them because they come cheap, and they are very short of money for the payroll.

All the draft picks.  Falcons like all of them.  They fit here.  And, oh yes, they did keep some of last year's team.  Now they are working on who else they may have available.  Undrafted and free agents are getting a look as Atlanta builds special teams.

🧑‍🔧

• Like 1

ESPN has dropped the Falcons in their power standings.  After the draft, Atlanta is now down 2 places, from 29 to 31.  Only Carolina, 32, is below them.

The Sporting News have us winning 4 games.  

No one believes in the Falcons.  If they are really going to be this bad, then it's going to be a very long journey.

😪

• Sad 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

ESPN has dropped the Falcons in their power standings.  After the draft, Atlanta is now down 2 places, from 29 to 31.  Only Carolina, 32, is below them.

The Sporting News have us winning 4 games.  

No one believes in the Falcons.  If they are really going to be this bad, then it's going to be a very long journey.

😪

Wow!  I'm curious what the reasoning is.   Did we have a loss of talent at positions other than QB?  Or is this all based on losing Ryan?  I feel like we've improved talent in some areas and we were 7-10 last year.   

• Like 1

Do we pump the brakes because we have no QB?

Marcus Mariota was a first-round pick and a starter.  Then he played as a backup for some time.  He was recovering from injuries but is 100% well now.  Matty Ice lived and died in the pocket.  MM is known to be a running QB.  Quite a contrast.

Desmond Ridder is a known winner in college.  He's a lot like MM as he, too, is known as a running QB.  He has four years' experience in leading his college team and never lost a home game.  

Falcon's receivers were a very weak position to begin the off season.  It's much stronger now.  Offensive line is still the #1 concern of the team.  They must improve over last season.  One thing for sure.  This season's Hawk team will be different from last year's.  Better?  Wait and see !

😇

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Do we pump the brakes because we have no QB?

Marcus Mariota was a first-round pick and a starter.  Then he played as a backup for some time.  He was recovering from injuries but is 100% well now.  Matty Ice lived and died in the pocket.  MM is known to be a running QB.  Quite a contrast.

Desmond Ridder is a known winner in college.  He's a lot like MM as he, too, is known as a running QB.  He has four years' experience in leading his college team and never lost a home game.  

Falcon's receivers were a very weak position to begin the off season.  It's much stronger now.  Offensive line is still the #1 concern of the team.  They must improve over last season.  One thing for sure.  This season's Hawk team will be different from last year's.  Better?  Wait and see !

😇

We won 7 games where it was 100% dependent on the offensive line to hold for us to even think about completing a pass.  Now we have someone who can add time to the play with his legs.   More time means more pressure on the secondary to keep track of the receivers.   And all that adds up to our defense not being on the field so much.   That's my theory anyway. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

😪

CBS said recently that Falcons will be terrible next season.  Their top receiver is no longer available because he's suspended, Patterson wasn't very good in the second half of the season.  Starting QB lost his starting position at Tennessee and hasn't started since.  He came to Atlanta because their head coach had watched him years ago when he was a starter.  Matty Ice will be missed badly.

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

😪

CBS said recently that Falcons will be terrible next season.  Their top receiver is no longer available because he's suspended, Patterson wasn't very good in the second half of the season.  Starting QB lost his starting position at Tennessee and hasn't started since.  He came to Atlanta because their head coach had watched him years ago when he was a starter.  Matty Ice will be missed badly.

Hmm.  We didn't have our 'top receiver' last year either.   Not sure why that matters.  We added a lot of receiving talent.   And Pitts is really the tops.  Patterson?   maybe he wasn't good because the opponents figured out he was one of the few weapons.  

NFL has shown over and over again that QBs, long considered washed up, can come back and do well, even win a super bowl, in the right situation.   Not saying that's going to happen but I'm not dismissing Mariotta until we see him and if he's terrible then at least we have a young gun to watch.  

I'm way more excited about this year than last year.   We've been doing the same thing for 5 years now and hoping for different results.   It's nice to try something different. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, macdaddy said:

Hmm.  We didn't have our 'top receiver' last year either.   Not sure why that matters.  We added a lot of receiving talent.   And Pitts is really the tops.  Patterson?   maybe he wasn't good because the opponents figured out he was one of the few weapons.  

Agree 100%. The receiving corp has improved compared to last year, at least on paper. Pitts is the tops. He and Patterson were the primary targets of opposing defense's game plan. Again, on paper, the Falcons appear to have more weapons on offense for Arthur Smith to work with. I'm excited to see Tyler Allgeier, the rookie running back from BYU, and all of the 6 foot plus NBA players wide receivers.

NFL has shown over and over again that QBs, long considered washed up, can come back and do well, even win a super bowl, in the right situation.   Not saying that's going to happen but I'm not dismissing Mariotta until we see him and if he's terrible then at least we have a young gun to watch.  

I was a huge fan/supporter of Matt Ryan. I believe he will one day be in the Hall of Fame. Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing what Mariota can do and if Ridder has what it takes to beat him out to start. I think competition will make both of these QBs play up to their potential.

I'm way more excited about this year than last year.   We've been doing the same thing for 5 years now and hoping for different results.   It's nice to try something different. 

I am also way more excited about this year compared to last year! I know that everything is all hypotheticals right now but, the roster appears to be better overall, the defense has no where to go but up, and we have exciting new players on offense. Arthur Smith squeezed out 7 wins from last year's team. I'm thinking this year he can get more than 4 wins as predicted by the "experts."

• Like 1