• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No US professional sports team needs more to change their nickname than the musicians from SLC, but what would be your nomination for a new nickname for the NBA franchise in ATL?

sturt

• Moderators
17 hours ago, sturt said:

Don't know about you, but what music I associate with Salt Lake city is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But haven't been there... perhaps they have their own version of Beale Street (?).

In fact, there aren't any lakes in LA either... so how about a trade? The Utah Lakers, and the Los Angeles Jazz? Huge win for rationality, if you ask me.

I see now.  I don't know if you watched Treme but loved the idea in there of New Orleans NBA team being called the New Orleans Mormon Tabernacle Choir just to force Utah's hand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, sturt said:

Sure, that's the original nicknames of the respective franchises, but these days, it would appear that Pelicans and Timberwolves are both geographically rational as well as satisfactory to their fans... so it benefits no one to replace rational choices with other rational choices. What we're trying to achieve in this instance is the most efficient way to resolve nickname chaos.

So while it's not synonymous with Los Angeles, God knows there's no shortage of jazz being played there... it's satisfactory.

And, anytime you have a lake, especially a large one, it is at least rational to refer to your sports team as "Lakers"... whatever a "laker" technically is.

Easy peazy, efficient nickname trade.

Everyone gets to a better... satisfactory... rational place.

I don't associate LA with jazz at all.  They are much better known for producing rock bands (GNR, the Doors, Rage ATM, Motley Crue, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.) than jazz.  And that is behind Hollywood for culture.  LA has no particular connection to jazz any more than any other large city where all forms of music are played somewhere and notably has much less of a claim to being a historically important place for jazz than both New York and New Orleans.  (Who are the most significant LA jazz artists with their roots their?  Thundercat?)  I see that as a big miss. 

Better case for Lakers with Utah since at least they are in Salt Lake City.  

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't associate LA with jazz at all. 

Kenny G lives in Malibu.

Nuff said. 🙂

7 hours ago, AHF said:

They are much better known for producing rock bands

Hey, if they trade nicknames and you want to start the petition to demand "LA Rockers" to replace "LA Jazz," I'll sign... being one who thinks every nickname ought to have some inferred intimidation factor... Jazz is soothing... Rockers aren't. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Should the Braves be made to change their name?

To the point of the thread, certainly not... I believe there are brave people associated with Atlanta.

And.

We don't give nicknames to teams as a clever way of mocking or sign of inferiority; rather, we give nicknames to teams ordinarily because there is an implication of superiority.

(But surely there's already a thread about all that in the Braves forum somewhere... ???)

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

To the point of the thread, certainly not... I believe there are brave people associated with Atlanta.

And.

We don't give nicknames to teams as a clever way of mocking or sign of inferiority; rather, we give nicknames to teams ordinarily because there is an implication of superiority.

(But surely there's already a thread about all that in the Braves forum somewhere... ???)

I came up in the era of Cheif Nocahoma....

So... ah... yeah...

Chief Noc-A-Homa (@WAU_Braves) / Twitter

• Thanks 1