• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No US professional sports team needs more to change their nickname than the musicians from SLC, but what would be your nomination for a new nickname for the NBA franchise in ATL?

sturt

• Premium Member

Both serious and not-at-all-serious responses accepted.

I have a few ideas myself, but l don't want to put them out there in the very first post, for fear that mine will so impress as to discourage others' posts. 😉

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I don't understand the first part of the sentence. 

Don't know about you, but what music I associate with Salt Lake city is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But haven't been there... perhaps they have their own version of Beale Street (?).

In fact, there aren't any lakes in LA either... so how about a trade? The Utah Lakers, and the Los Angeles Jazz? Huge win for rationality, if you ask me.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, sturt said:

Don't know about you, but what music I associate with Salt Lake city is the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But haven't been there... perhaps they have their own version of Beale Street (?).

In fact, there aren't any lakes in LA either... so how about a trade? The Utah Lakers, and the Los Angeles Jazz? Huge win for rationality, if you ask me.

If you are shuffling names, the Jazz name belongs in New Orleans, the Lakers name belongs in Minnesota.  

LA should reference Hollywood.  Utah is known for two things - Mormons (which doesn’t lend itself to sports nicknames) and beautiful parks.  Maybe a name fashioned after the latter with an image from Arches national park on the jersey? 

After another blown lead on Sunday, I honestly think another Atlanta based professional sports team is in dire need of a complete tear down from the top, including a rebrand (no, not the Braves). Remove the stench from that Super Bowl once at for all. When Washington was changing their name, Red Tails was floated out there. That would be my choice. We could bring back the old school jerseys with a red helmet.

The Hawks as a franchise have at least won championships, so leave the name alone. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, AHF said:

If you are shuffling names, the Jazz name belongs in New Orleans, the Lakers name belongs in Minnesota.

Sure, that's the original nicknames of the respective franchises, but these days, it would appear that Pelicans and Timberwolves are both geographically rational as well as satisfactory to their fans... so it benefits no one to replace rational choices with other rational choices. What we're trying to achieve in this instance is the most efficient way to resolve nickname chaos.

So while it's not synonymous with Los Angeles, God knows there's no shortage of jazz being played there... it's satisfactory.

And, anytime you have a lake, especially a large one, it is at least rational to refer to your sports team as "Lakers"... whatever a "laker" technically is.

Easy peazy, efficient nickname trade.

Everyone gets to a better... satisfactory... rational place.

• Premium Member

So here it is... you're gonna love it...

The Atlanta Phoenixes.

2022-09-12_20-28-32.png

So, we give a nod to our birdish history, while claiming a completely unique new something. And what could be more Atlanta, than the very symbol depicted on the official seal of the city, after all??? Oh, and a bonus... it would really piss off the Suns fans.

🙂

• Haha 2

The Atlanta Swagsters.  :dance3:

A lil schhhhhhwaaaaggg never hurt nobody.

Level up son..

plural swaggers. Definition of swagger (Entry 2 of 3) 1a : an arrogantly self-confident way of walking : an act or instance of swaggering. b : arrogant or conceitedly self-assured behavior. c : ostentatious display or bravado.

A level up from hipster status.Swagsters always roll in pairs, never alone. Swagsters wear Toms, Hipster Glasses, Matching Superhero tshirts, have sweet dreads, ...

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

LA should reference Hollywood.  Utah is known for two things - Mormons (which doesn’t lend itself to sports nicknames) and beautiful parks.  Maybe a name fashioned after the latter with an image from Arches national park on the jersey? 

I agree with giving the teams back their original names.

The Utah Honeybees...

The Minnesota Lakers. 

The New Orleans Jazz.

The Los Angeles Stars

The Atlanta Peachtrees

The Orlando Phenoms 

The Memphis Blues. 

The Golden State Bridges.