The first 5 games will make or break the season

shakes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

I love being in irrational panic mode immediately.

Yeah, put me down in the "the first 5 games will absolutely not make or break the season" camp.  We are going to have some growing pains integrating the following new players into our rotation:

DM

AH

JH

JJ

FK

(And maybe AJ, although I don't think he will legit be a part of the rotation to start the season).

Even if we stumble out of the gate that won't determine our season by any means.  I expect more up and down to start the year with us looking rough at times and very exciting at times.  Win some and lose some.  We'll get better as the guys get more familiar with each other and their roles.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

well, this season is on the verge of being officially over if they don't somehow get a sweep in Detroit.

Yesterday's pathetic showing vs Charlotte showed that this team was made from the same garbage as last year's team.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's one game but after 3 it should be obvious we can't go with the bargain bin off the bench and expect to contend. 

yea, when your shopping spree consists of buying 2 for 1 Holidays out of the bargain bin at the front of the store along side the ham that expires in 2 days you're probably not lifting the Larry O'Brien anytime soon.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

The Heurter trade is looking pretty bad right now.  He would be a godsend off the bench.  

It looked bad when it was made honestly.  There was only one reason for it and it was to get under the LT.  You don't give away good talent like that.  They had all season to tweak the roster.  

I will say i was really frustrated with Kev last year but that's because i don't believe he's a legit starter.  Off the bench would have been a great role for him. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It looked bad when it was made honestly.  There was only one reason for it and it was to get under the LT.  You don't give away good talent like that.  They had all season to tweak the roster.  

I will say i was really frustrated with Kev last year but that's because i don't believe he's a legit starter.  Off the bench would have been a great role for him. 

Agree with all of this but I will say that Kev struggled hard coming off the bench for us.  Not just last season but for his entire career.  He seems to really need to be with the starters to flourish so I'm not certain he would have flourished coming off the bench for us.  I am in full agreement that the trade was not made for basketball reasons and that it was a hard downgrade on talent.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree with all of this but I will say that Kev struggled hard coming off the bench for us.  Not just last season but for his entire career.  He seems to really need to be with the starters to flourish so I'm not certain he would have flourished coming off the bench for us.  I am in full agreement that the trade was not made for basketball reasons and that it was a hard downgrade on talent.

To me that's just a sign that Trae was getting him easy shots.   Murray and Kev together would have been a lot different than Kev and Lou/Delon.  IMO

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me that's just a sign that Trae was getting him easy shots.   Murray and Kev together would have been a lot different than Kev and Lou/Delon.  IMO

That is fair.  I agree with that is a reasonable hypothesis (i.e., that Kev did better when gifted good shooting opportunities versus having to create for himself off the bench) that would give hope for him having better success with DM running point this year off the bench.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

@shakes So much riding on tonight's game.  The 3-1 Hawks on the road vs. the 1-4 Pistons with the entire season on the line.  I'm glad our posters pay attention to which games matter the most because our local media hasn't reported this accurately.  

this is the biggest game in Hawks history since the franchise moved to ATL.  

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Crazy night in store for us! Can you imagine if the Bucks lose, and 2-6 all win? That'd be a 6 way tie for the #1 seed in the East, no idea how they will handle that tiebreaker. Charlotte has the tiebreaker against us, so if we lose we might wind up being in the play-in tournament. A lot on the line for us tonight, definitely want to get a better seed for the playoffs after what happened last year. I checked in on StubHub and tickets are only $20.00 (plus $43.00 in fees) if anybody is feeling bold enough to go support our Hawks.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Crazy night in store for us! Can you imagine if the Bucks lose, and 2-6 all win? That'd be a 6 way tie for the #1 seed in the East, no idea how they will handle that tiebreaker. Charlotte has the tiebreaker against us, so if we lose we might wind up being in the play-in tournament. A lot on the line for us tonight, definitely want to get a better seed for the playoffs after what happened last year. I checked in on StubHub and tickets are only $20.00 (plus $43.00 in fees) if anybody is feeling bold enough to go support our Hawks.

image.png

It would be a 5 way tie, right?  Top 5 at 4-1 and the  Bucks below at 3-1.  But they also can't all win since some of them play each other like Cleveland vs Boston.

Early season numbers do some crazy things, though, for sure.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

It would be a 5 way tie, right?  Top 5 at 4-1 and the  Bucks below at 3-1.  But they also can't all win since some of them play each other like Cleveland vs Boston.

Early season numbers do some crazy things, though, for sure.

Well I was mainly kidding to go with the season being make or break in 5 games, but yeah, early season numbers do always look crazy. I was looking at the box scores from yesterday's games and saw Luka has a PER of 42.78 lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Well I was mainly kidding to go with the season being make or break in 5 games, but yeah, early season numbers do always look crazy. I was looking at the box scores from yesterday's games and saw Luka has a PER of 42.78 lol. 

Christian Wood was leading the league when I looked at that a day or so ago, lol.

• Haha 3