• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question for the day....

Diesel

Here's a question...  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, shakes said:

@Diesel doesn't want to  post his full list because if he does he'll realize how silly it is.

By definition a generational player is "someone who comes around once in a generation".   I expand that to allow for 2-3 players per generation to qualify and even that might be taking it too far.  Diesel has about 50 players on his list which completely goes against the whole idea of a generational player.

Where is your list??

Don't commentate.... Participate!

• Moderators

@shakes

Here is D's list:

1. AI
  2. Stockton
  3. CP3
  4. Jordan
  5. Kobe 
  6. LeBron
  7. Pippen
  8. Duncan
  9. Hakeem
  10. Barkley
  11. Giannis
  12. Malone
  13. Ewing
  14. Isiah Thomas
  15. Kevin Durant
  16. Bird
  17. Magic
  18. Dirk
  19. Garnett
  20. Shaq
  21. Ray Allen
  22. Kawhi
  23. Curry

MVPs that are not on D's list are:  

Jokic

Harden

Westbrook

Rose

Nash

David Robinson

Timeframe for your list is NBA players from 1990 to the present.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Where is your list??

Don't commentate.... Participate!

sorry, I was already ready to concede this debate when you whipped out the big blue font.   Saw that yesterday and it sent me reeling.  But, after a night spent in the fetal position rocking back and forth slowly I've recovered enough to participate.  So, here is my list of generational players since 1980:

Magic

Bird

MJ

Hakeem

Shaq

Kobe

Lebron

Duncan

Steph

I think that's it off the top of my head.  There are some current players who could end up qualifying depending on how the career pans out.

• Like 1

• Moderators

So these are the names Diesel has on  his list that Shakes doesn't:

1. AI
  2. Stockton
  3. CP3
  4. Pippen
  5. Barkley
  6. Giannis
  7. Malone
  8. Ewing
  9. Isiah Thomas
  10. Kevin Durant
  11. Dirk
  12. Garnett
  13. Ray Allen
  14. Kawhi

Definitely see some common themes among those names which should help differentiate how each of them is defining "generational."

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

1. AI
  2. Stockton
  3. CP3
  4. Pippen
  5. Barkley
  6. Giannis
  7. Malone
  8. Ewing
  9. Isiah Thomas
  10. Kevin Durant
  11. Dirk
  12. Garnett
  13. Ray Allen
  14. Kawhi

Definitely see some common themes among those names which should help differentiate how each of them is defining "generational."

how many HOF players from that era did not make Diesel's list?

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

1. AI
  2. Stockton
  3. CP3
  4. Pippen
  5. Barkley
  6. Giannis
  7. Malone
  8. Ewing
  9. Isiah Thomas
  10. Kevin Durant
  11. Dirk
  12. Garnett
  13. Ray Allen
  14. Kawhi

The common theme of most of them were that they were denied by the Bulls for championships. 

Barkley, AI, Dirk, and Hakeem are the only 4 players in NBA History that took an NBA team to a championship with little help. 

I'm not a fan of Kawhi but he and Ray Allen are two guys who have done championships for more than one franchise and been responsible for their franchise winning. 

If you say Duncan and can't say KG or Malone.. you have some splaining to do. 

On 10/27/2022 at 9:24 AM, shakes said:

you have a weird definition of what makes a generational talent.   I believe that a generational talent is a generational talent because a player at that level only comes around once or twice in a generation.   A generation IRL is about 30 years I believe.  A generation in sports is about 10 years, maybe 15.   you need to completely dominate the game to be a generational talent.  And dominating the game in basketball includes winning.   Moreso than any other team sport for the obvious reason that basketball is the team sport where an individual has the greatest effect on winning vs any other player in any other sport.   

The game is only 5v5 and the 5 players play both offense and defense.  And the players stay on the court for up to 40 minutes of the 48 total.   No superstar in baseball, football or hockey can claim that.

Iverson, Barkley, Malone?  I don't consider any of them generational talents.

Magic was generational.  Bird was generational.  MJ.  Kobe.  Duncan. Lebron.  Hakeem.   Shaq.  Steph.

Off the top of my head those are the only generational talents the game has seen since the 80s started.

Question:

When you think of the best player in basketball history at each position in Basketball, who do you think of?

PG - 

G - 

F - 

PF - 

C - 

The top 5 players at each position, to me, would qualify as "Generational Talents".

I think Trae is quickly playing himself to be a top 5 PG of all time, which is why I voted YES as Trae being a generational talent.

6 hours ago, shakes said:

@Diesel doesn't want to  post his full list because if he does he'll realize how silly it is.

By definition a generational player is "someone who comes around once in a generation".   I expand that to allow for 2-3 players per generation to qualify and even that might be taking it too far.  Diesel has about 50 players on his list which completely goes against the whole idea of a generational player.

Can 2 Generational players play at the same time?

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Of course Bird, Magic, Dirk, Garnett, Shaq, Allen, Kawhi & Curry....

Nique, Miller, Klay, Draymond, Pierce, Westbrook, D. Robinson, Harden, Drexler, Dr. J,  Nash, and Parker are  fringe to me and are not generational in my eyes..

I would say Harden is Generational, because the entire NBA analytics movement this past decade, is based almost solely on how he plays.   

FTs - Threes - Layups

No one on the planet has done this better than Harden.  The guy behind him, plays in Atlanta.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

@shakes

Here is D's list:

1. AI
  2. Stockton
  3. CP3
  4. Jordan
  5. Kobe 
  6. LeBron
  7. Pippen
  8. Duncan
  9. Hakeem
  10. Barkley
  11. Giannis
  12. Malone
  13. Ewing
  14. Isiah Thomas
  15. Kevin Durant
  16. Bird
  17. Magic
  18. Dirk
  19. Garnett
  20. Shaq
  21. Ray Allen
  22. Kawhi
  23. Curry

MVPs that are not on D's list are:  

Jokic

Harden

Westbrook

Rose

Nash

David Robinson

Timeframe for your list is NBA players from 1990 to the present.

1. AI ( PG ) 
  2. Stockton ( PG )
  3. CP3  ( PG )
  4. Jordan  ( G )
  5. Kobe  ( G )
  6. LeBron  ( F )
  7. Pippen  ( F )
  8. Duncan  ( C ) . . . he's a damn center. I don't care what he says.
  9. Hakeem ( C )
  10. Barkley  ( PF )
  11. Giannis  ( PF )
  12. Malone  ( PF )
  13. Ewing  ( C )
  14. Isiah Thomas  ( PG )
  15. Kevin Durant  ( F )
  16. Bird  ( F )
  17. Magic  ( PG )
  18. Dirk  ( PF )
  19. Garnett  ( PF )
  20. Shaq  ( C )
  21. Ray Allen   ( G )
  22. Kawhi   ( F )
  23. Curry  ( PG )

Players per position

PG - 6

G - 3

F - 5

PF - 5

C - 4 

If this spans over the past 4 years.  And a Basketball "generation" is 10 - 15 years, I can't disagree with this list EXCEPT for Kawhi being on here over Dwyane Wade.   Kawhi's high level of play really only spans 4 seasons.  But there is no doubt that he's been the man in the playoffs.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:

When you think of the best player in basketball history at each position in Basketball, who do you think of?

PG - 

G - 

F - 

PF - 

C - 

The top 5 players at each position, to me, would qualify as "Generational Talents".

I think Trae is quickly playing himself to be a top 5 PG of all time, which is why I voted YES as Trae being a generational talent.

1st team                                    2nd Team                                       3rd Team

PG = Magic                                Stockton                                            Curry

SG = Jordan                                Kobe                                                  AI                               

F = Bird                                       Lebron                                               KD

PF =Malone                                 Duncan                                              KG

C = Kareem                                 Shaq                                                   Hakeem

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

1st team                                    2nd Team                                       3rd Team

PG = Magic                                Stockton                                            Curry

SG = Jordan                                Kobe                                                  AI                               

F = Bird                                       Lebron                                               KD

PF =Malone                                 Duncan                                              KG

C = Kareem                                 Shaq                                                   Hakeem

I may can disagree with the order of a few players.  But it's hard for me to deny that all 15 of these players weren't generational talents.  Each one brought something different to the game and to the position they played.  

Ironically, the most similar are Jordan and Kobe.  Everyone else is completely different.