• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Highly intiguing revelations from Landry's presser

sturt

• Premium Member

1. Asked if there have been conversations about adding an additional front office executive "above or adjacent" to you, Landry said "yes." He went on to say those are conversations that will be had "at more length after the season."

So, that would suggest that there is, indeed, some reason to anticipate that someone will be hired to take Travis former position (Pres of Basketball Ops).

2. In the midst of one of his answers, as Landry was alluding to the candidate pool, he interestingly made it a point after he used the term "person," to say "him or her."

So, that would suggest that there is, indeed, some reason to anticipate that Becky Hammon is in the pool. It just was such an off-the-cuff thing, nothing to suggest any disingenuousness in that.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. Asked if there have been conversations about adding an additional front office executive "above or adjacent" to you, Landry said "yes." He went on to say those are conversations that will be had "at more length after the season."

So, that would suggest that there is, indeed, some reason to anticipate that someone will be hired to take Travis former position (Pres of Basketball Ops).

2. In the midst of one of his answers, as Landry was alluding to the candidate pool, he interestingly made it a point after he used the term "person," to say "him or her."

So, that would suggest that there is, indeed, some reason to anticipate that Becky Hammon is in the pool. It just was such an off-the-cuff thing, nothing to suggest any disingenuousness in that.

Or he's being all '2023' about it and including all genders?

Wonder why he would even field a question about someone being hired above him?  Just pass that up.  Shows inexperience if you ask me.  And you did indeed ask. 🙂

• Like 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Wonder why he would even field a question about someone being hired above him?  Just pass that up.  Shows inexperience if you ask me.  And you did indeed ask. 🙂

That was actually a prickly moment in the presser... iirc, around the 12 minute mark or so. Landry did say this would be a question better suited for Ressler... the questioner followed up saying, "Can you get him here to answer" (or words to that effect)... and Landry tried to play it off light-hearted as-if he was going to make the call... hehe... but then there was this split second where arguably Landry stopped smiling, and his annoyance broke through.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Totally agree with this take.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

isn't this going to be Nick?

If it was going to be Nick, the question would be why isn't it already?

I don't think so, but I've been wrong as recently as... lesssseeeeeee... looks like... June 2019.

(That is, unless you ask my wife.)

More seriously, I honestly think they'll use that position to bring in someone with some NBA front office pedigree. I think that was part of the thinking that had driven the flirtation with Chris Grant, and my speculative guess is that the ultimate deal breaker was a question of what title and/or authority he would authentically have. I can't pretend I would know, but instinct says he just didn't bring the pedigree that commands the authority vested in a President of Basketball Operations.

The other piece to this is, there is precedent for your head coach to get that title... Pops being one.

Is there a coach out there who you'd consider to have the resume' so rich that you'd also feel comfortable giving him that level of authority? More practically speaking, is there one out there who Antony P. Ressler would give that level of authority? (Aside... someone please find out what the P stands for, would ya?) I mean, he probably still feels some regret giving that to his ex-coach now in Milwaukee, right?

I can think of only one, but I also don't think that one is actually seeking any more coaching gigs... D'Antoni.

I do think D'Antoni could be interested, though, in a Pat Riley-like role with a team... and all the more so, one whose GM he once coached, and whose head coach, Udoka, and lead assistant, Nash, he's worked with in the past. (Now, I'm just back in dreamland, but allow me to dream, please. Fersure, that would be a group I could feel some confidence in.)

I know it was a bit of a dismay all the front office shuffling, team that blew leads etc. but Honestly this new Front office seems to at least understand the Challenge ahead and are not afraid to get people to help.

I also liked our last minute trades to try and help the Bench.

TS was great and all but the more I hear from the new Front Office and when I hear things like TS was a road block to get DJ I think I'm ok with this new front office.

Also I'm ok with an owner that gives a damn and is trying even if they are in-experienced. Their are not a lot of humans on this planet that have experience running an NBA team or managing one, so you have to start somewhere. The fact that the owner is pretty much all in and his son has a huge interest in the success of the team to me is a good thing and not a downside.

Also having Korver in the front office I think is a good move, great player very high Basketball IQ and he is not that far removed from the game so he can still work with younger players and younger coaches etc.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

New President of Basketball Operations.

Hide contents

Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins says he was turned away from Atlanta  restaurant because of 'the color of my skin' - Peachtree Hoops

Nah. Can't see that. President of Basketball Ops is a real job, and especially when your GM is a tenderfoot. At least, it should be. Who knows what it is in Resslerland.

If you're going to look for someone with serious ATL connection, yet who arguably has that kind of resume to substantiate that level of authority, you'd need to look at

7504794_690w.jpg

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/shareef-abdurrahim