• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

4-17 Poll of the Day

Diesel

How do you counter Al Horford.   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

We talking about Basketball....

Boston's secret is that when Horf is on the floor, they spread it out put Horf in the corner and draw the big defender out of the paint.   How do you deal with that because if the big is out of the paint, there is no help defenders... and Tatum and Brown are Big wings... as the 3 & 4.   Tatum is not a natural 4 but he plays there because nobody make him not play there... and Brown is a 2 but big enough to play the 3. 

How do you counter...   That's our poll.

• Moderators

The counter we need to do to the moving screens is to hardcore run him over a few times.  Sure, we'll draw a couple fouls but it won't escape notice that he isn't set if we draw that kind of attention to it and if he ends up a bit shaken up from a couple of hard falls then so be it.

Countering him on the whole is more difficult.  If he just spotted up on the perimeter than JJ might be a real good choice to work against him but he is much more integrated into other moving pieces of their offense that JJ may not be as capable of countering.  OO seems the obvious matchup for as much as we can do it.  Unfortunately, CC may not be able to play much when Williams isn't on the floor this series.  He just isn't capable of punishing smaller Celtic defenders enough to offset his liability as a perimeter defender.

• Like 4

Trae / DM / Hunter / JC / OO

trae or DM / Bogi / AJ / Bey /  JJ with a a little CC mixed in (100% of the time Williams is on the court). 

Need more shooting and  wings that can switch on the perimeter this series. CC should get 20-24 minutes a game, but we need more OO. 

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

The counter we need to do to the moving screens is to hardcore run him over a few times.  Sure, we'll draw a couple fouls but it won't escape notice that he isn't set if we draw that kind of attention to it and if he ends up a bit shaken up from a couple of hard falls then so be it.

Countering him on the whole is more difficult.  If he just spotted up on the perimeter than JJ might be a real good choice to work against him but he is much more integrated into other moving pieces of their offense that JJ may not be as capable of countering.  OO seems the obvious matchup for as much as we can do it.  Unfortunately, CC may not be able to play much when Williams isn't on the floor this series.  He just isn't capable of punishing smaller Celtic defenders enough to offset his liability as a perimeter defender.

I like the idea of running him over.  We have to set the tone.   Refs are not calling him moving.... He looks like a pulling guard out there... Yeah.. Run his old ass over. 

As far as the counter, I'm far more worried about Tatum having an open lane than Horford scoring on a three pointer.   I would keep Horford covered.. I would take Smart's man.. Trae.. likely and I would use him and JJ or JC to Double Tatum the way that Miami Doubled Trae last year. 

I would give Hunter one more chance... but letting him guard JB one on one.   I would put more size on White by posting Clint/OO on him. .. and DJ  could cover Horf ...well play the passing lane... DJ is quick enough to close out....  It's ricketty.. but it could work... I watched Orlando give Boston Trouble doing something similar.  But I want to say that Orlando was in some type of matchup zone.

The double would have to bother Tatum.  I think JC/JJ and Trae could do that... but I would love to see JJ/Aholi doubling Tatum.  Force the ball out of his hands. 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yes please please please.   I don't understand why this is so hard to see.    I'm sure AJ would be happy to come in the game and do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Trae / DM / Hunter / JC / OO

trae or DM / Bogi / AJ / Bey /  JJ with a a little CC mixed in (100% of the time Williams is on the court). 

Need more shooting and  wings that can switch on the perimeter this series. CC should get 20-24 minutes a game, but we need more OO. 

I don't like the switching defense for this team.  I think the Celtics are good at Dialing up the switch that they want.  I think that's their strength.   If we're not in a pure man to man and we're playing through.. .I would like us to be in a good zone. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't like the switching defense for this team.  I think the Celtics are good at Dialing up the switch that they want.  I think that's their strength.   If we're not in a pure man to man and we're playing through.. .I would like us to be in a good zone. 

They are too good of shooters to go to pure zone or go man to man and not switch. Mix it in - sure. Otherwise they will rain 3s on us. Now our switching needs to be better. They had way too many layups from laziness and ball watching … gave up an easy 10+ we shouldn’t have. 

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

They are too good of shooters to go to pure zone or go man to man and not switch. Mix it in - sure. Otherwise they will rain 3s on us. Now our switching needs to be better. They had way too many layups from laziness and ball watching … gave up an easy 10+ we shouldn’t have. 

Yeah.. I considered that.  (They can shoot well).. However, they don't have any Reggie Millers... unless I'm wrong about it, they don't have guys hitting shots coming off of screens.   Most of their open shots are set shots that happen through ball movement.  This is why I hate switching on them.  They swing the ball really well.   They dial up the switch they want.. and through player movement, their screens led them to the basket. 

I think their first mode of offense is spread them out and see if Tatum or Brown can go one on one.    The second mode is curl somebody off a screen to the goal from the spread.  This is where the switch makes sense but I believe that this is what Boston wants... they want you to switch so that they can pull the ball out, rotate and catch you flat footed.   Any other doubles and they passing to the open man. 

I want people to basically stay at home and let's keep a constant double on Tatum.  When Smart goes out of the game, the gameplan has to change because White will hit the open shot. 

Again, we may consider a diamond and one defense...

Box & One Combination Defense - Defensive Basketball Strategies   Basketball Diamond And One

• Premium Member

We did nothing to disrupt the timing of their offense. Defense starts before they catch the ball. Play ball deny, touch them up prior to receiving the ball., bump.them off their route - it's the playoff, force the ref to make a call. They can't call all of them right?

• Like 2

I voted 🗳️ other because even the sun 🌞 shines on a dog 🐕 a$$ some days. ANYBODY CAN WIN THE LOTTERY.

He’s old, he’s washed up and prolly dry down there by now like a 90 year old lady 👵.

Oh sorry, you do one thing. LAUGH AT HIS SORRY BENNEDICT ARNOLD scared of rebounding (and has a loud mouth 👄 sis) a$$. 

In fact, I think we have a live shot of Q game planning for Alice..

image.gif.80a129cbad4e2b9ac1a831195007c1ad.gif