• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Many ATL sports stars have performed BETTER in the Clutch?

swanlee

Been an ATL sports fan since the late 70's, was born and raised here and have had to deal with our teams either outright sucking like the 80's or things like the 98 and 2016 super bowl, tons of Braves chokes over the years in post season and a Hawks team destined for mediocrity besides the Glorious Nique Years who still did not win it all.

I've seen stars fold like lawn chairs and ATL teams collapse at the most crucial times.

And while I still love the stars we've had over the years I do not recall us every having a rising superstar like Trae who not only performs under the spotlight he actually seems to play better then more pressure he is under.

And ironically everyone outside of the ATL hates him and think we will trade him.

Yea screw that Trae is the real deal,

• Like 4

well, falcons and braves both made it to the super bowl/world series multiple times. Hawks haven't even gotten to the finals. Smoltz definitely was a very clutch/big time pitcher in postseason play.

also tyler nutzack, probably the greatest post season performance in atlanta sports history.

Edited by dalamchops
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dalamchops said:

well, falcons and braves both made it to the super bowl/world series multiple times. Hawks haven't even gotten to the finals. Smoltz definitely was a very clutch/big time pitcher in postseason play.

also tyler nutzack, probably the greatest post season performance in atlanta sports history.

Yes but pretty much different teams with different players. I'll give props to Smoltz himself but many teams he was on choked in the spotlight.

I have a few clutch performances that come to mind recently -

• Max Fried's WS game 6 shutout
  • Tyler Matzek's 2 shutout innings against the Dodgers in the NCLS
  • Stetson Bennett's 4th QT in the Natty against Bama
  • Stetson Bennett's comeback against OSU
    • UGA not technically ATL, but I'd say most of us on here are UGA fans too so I included it
  • Trae Young's first ever playoff game. Hit the game winner on the biggest stage of them all in MSG
  • Trae Young's game 1 win on the road in the ECF against Milwaukee
  • Trae Young's game 5 winner against Boston
  • Josef Martinez in the MLS championship
  • Matt Bryant just in general. Felt like he nailed every potential game winning FG he attempted for us

Honorable mention to Matt Ryan's 2016 Post Season. It didn't end the way it should have, but Matt was filthy in that 2016 playoff run. Passer rating of 135.3 with 1,014 yards, 9 touchdowns and 0 picks. He made the big pass to Julio which should have won it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, dalamchops said:

wait, is that a real name or you making that up?

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, dalamchops said:

guess you don't really watch the braves, that's his teammate's nickname for tyler.

lol great nickname.  And no, I don't watch the Braves.  Haven't watched a baseball game since my White Sox won the title in 2005.  That's me holding up my end of the bargain I made with God several years prior to that.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While Trae deaerve his roses, Dre's 4th quarter defense was magical. 

What defense? Everybody know Hawks can't play defense. Celts just missed shots they normally make down the stretch!  Didn't you get the memo? @REHawksFan and @Diesel sent them out before the game.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

In the actual clutch, none have been better than Trae. 

His equals are:

Morten Andersen 

David Justice

Difference between those two is that Andersen was great in or out of the clutch.  Justice could be a waste of space until he stepped up.  In 1995, he had a ~.665 OPS through the first two rounds of the playoffs with only a handful of singles.  That was right there with our pitchers:  

vs the Rockies Justice .675 OPS, Glavine .667 OPS

vs the Reds Smoltz .675 OPS, Justice .657 OPS

Justice had 2 extra base hits the entire post-season.  (Chipper had 10, McGriff had 9, etc.)

Definitely a case of one big moment for David.

Morten Andersen was money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

In the actual clutch, none have been better than Trae. 

His equals are:

Morten Andersen 

David Justice

Yea probably that, Anderson and Justice were clutch 

I loved Matt Ryan but he should have audibled a run in the SB.