• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks playoffs... A look back...

Diesel

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just have to point a couple things out that don’t undermine your point.  Gasol was not only a 6x All-Star he was also 4x All-NBA and 5x All-Defense.  He was an All-Star and All-NBA Defense before he was a Laker.   He was 10x top 20 in rebounding and 10x top 20 in blocked shots to go with stellar offense.  Definitely better than you give him credit for.  He also led the Lakers over Kobe in Win Shares when they win their first title - he was 4th in the entire NBA that season and All-NBA.  Plenty of other talent on that team led by Bynum and Odom.  That was no one man show even though Kobe still deserves a ton of credit for those teams.  

General rule is that nobody does it without major help.

You said before he was a Laker.    Rondo was great... before he was a Hawks.   Karl Malone was a Hall of Famer before he was a Laker.   My only point about Gasol was that the first year that Kobe took them to the Chip, Gasol was not an allstar.   Therefore, Kobe took a team full of nonallstars and won a chip. 

Kobe and Giannis are the only two players to ever win a chip with no other allstars on the team. 

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

While the offseason was not great, management did get help.... The team still took a step  back this year.

My friend, you have to exam how not so great the offseason was...

These are the players who played some minutes... who shot over 35% from three during the 2022 season...

image.png

Here's this year's crew...

image.png

I couldn't get rid of Matthews because he didn't play much...

Look at the freaking difference.  We have 9-10 players shooting over 35% from three in 2022.. and we have 4 in 2023...  And of the 4, only one starter. 

And we didn't get Bey until the deadline.   And Bogi miss a lot of games in the beginning.

So until you are willing to be honest about what we lost in the offseason... you making statement like critical thinking and team taking a step back.. don't really factor.  The injury is self inflicted. 

I think a Trae, Murray, Bogi lineup could work without having to play small up front.

Keep JC/CC on the court and you now have your 5 most veteran/experienced players on the floor. Possibly your best 5 overall. 

Gives plenty of spacing on offense. And you could run a zone defensive package featuring DJM at the point of attack.

It’s funny how the majority of sites list Bogi as a SF, even though we all know he is more of a true off guard than anything.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Diesel said:

You said before he was a Laker.    Rondo was great... before he was a Hawks.   Karl Malone was a Hall of Famer before he was a Laker.   My only point about Gasol was that the first year that Kobe took them to the Chip, Gasol was not an allstar.   Therefore, Kobe took a team full of nonallstars and won a chip. 

Kobe and Giannis are the only two players to ever win a chip with no other allstars on the team. 

Pau Gasol was All-NBA that first year that Lakers team won a ring and he was also an All-Star so that is just wrong.

image.png

image.png

image.png

The other championship Kobe won without Shaq, Pau Gasol was also both All-NBA and an All-Star.  So Kobe never won a ring without a fellow All-Star.  Cross him off your list.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I think a Trae, Murray, Bogi lineup could work without having to play small up front.

Keep JC/CC on the court and you now have your 5 most veteran/experienced players on the floor. Possibly your best 5 overall. 

Gives plenty of spacing on offense. And you could run a zone defensive package featuring DJM at the point of attack.

It’s funny how the majority of sites list Bogi as a SF, even though we all know he is more of a true off guard than anything.

Depends on how quin's running offense and JC's shooting. 

17 hours ago, Diesel said:

My friend, you have to exam how not so great the offseason was...

These are the players who played some minutes... who shot over 35% from three during the 2022 season...

image.png

Here's this year's crew...

image.png

I couldn't get rid of Matthews because he didn't play much...

Look at the freaking difference.  We have 9-10 players shooting over 35% from three in 2022.. and we have 4 in 2023...  And of the 4, only one starter. 

And we didn't get Bey until the deadline.   And Bogi miss a lot of games in the beginning.

So until you are willing to be honest about what we lost in the offseason... you making statement like critical thinking and team taking a step back.. don't really factor.  The injury is self inflicted. 

You probably don't remember, but I surely expressed concerns about the loss of shooting last offseason. But even last year was a disappointment following the playoff run in the spring. 

But another player to get along side of Trae was going to happen. You can't keep everyone in the long run.

It's going to tough to get rid of Collins for good value. Outside of some better defense, he was mostly trash this year.

Not much better overall. 4RPG from a starting PF is brutal.

His dive in shooting this year was also harmful.

Good luck to the gm. Right now, it's tough to be optimistic.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

You probably don't remember, but I surely expressed concerns about the loss of shooting last offseason. But even last year was a disappointment following the playoff run in the spring. 

But another player to get along side of Trae was going to happen. You can't keep everyone in the long run.

It's going to tough to get rid of Collins for good value. Outside of some better defense, he was mostly trash this year.

Not much better overall. 4RPG from a starting PF is brutal.

His dive in shooting this year was also harmful.

Good luck to the gm. Right now, it's tough to be optimistic.

You can be somewhat optimistic when you see what's coming along...  OO, JJ, AJ, Bey  that gives place for optimism.     Hunter, JC, CC are at a place where we had hoped for more.  Especially JC.   But not disappointed with his playoff play. The real question mark is DJ and what can Quin do with these pieces.