• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Electing new Mods

Spud2nique

No seriously, why is it taboo to discuss this? I mean, squawk is a democracy, no? I mean you guys patrol the stuff but for the most part it’s always been a majority vote type of place since I been here in 2003 (which is a hell of a lot earlier than @lethalweapon3whose really emo 🖤 this munf). 

• Premium Member

My HOA got a Facebook page.  After there were 100s of members on the page talking about the community, the one guy who went out and got the page for the HOA made the claim that it was his facebook page and he could control what is allowed on the page.   We don't want that here. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

My HOA got a Facebook page.  After there were 100s of members on the page talking about the community, the one guy who went out and got the page for the HOA made the claim that it was his facebook page and he could control what is allowed on the page.   We don't want that here. 

No doubt this place was hell but I just don’t like a mod using his powers cuz he’s emo and when he should really be busting the Karen’s (soups, hylanders and beachkitties). Not targeting me like George Zimmer.

• Confused 1

• Premium Member

1. This belongs in a PM. And you know that.

2. Nonetheless... until it gets locked or deleted, and though I'm not a mod, I've never been shy about confronting this kind of crap, so I'll bite... starting with the question

Does it take "mod powers" to be "bitchy around here"....???

Indeed, this whole drama ironically enough began because someone feels license to be, not merely "bitchy," but unscrupulous.

We have a lot of latitude around here to say whatever, but there is one line that shouldn't be crossed: You can complain about others being uninformed or unreasonable to your heart's desire, and you can even comment on or question about their motives for how they think... but here's the line... you don't explicitly or implicitly assert something about their integrity or character. Cross that line, and I'm one of those who believe some time for reflection is required, even if not self-imposed.

3. As I said before, I think there's reason and room for us as a community to periodically review the guidelines and to offer to the authorities of the board our individual takes about potential changes that should be considered. Zooming in closer, your problem here isn't with the police, it's with those laws/guidelines. They're not apprehending you without basis. You need to go look at the guideline you think is flawed, and make a rational argument for why it should be changed or abandoned.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. This belongs in a PM. And you know that.

2. Nonetheless... until it gets locked or deleted, and though I'm not a mod, I've never been shy about confronting this kind of crap, so I'll bite... starting with the question

Does it take "mod powers" to be "bitchy around here"....???

Indeed, this whole drama ironically enough began because someone feels license to be, not merely "bitchy," but unscrupulous.

We have a lot of latitude around here to say whatever, but there is one line that shouldn't be crossed: You can complain about others being uninformed or unreasonable to your heart's desire, and you can even comment on or question about their motives for how they think... but here's the line... you don't explicitly or implicitly assert something about their integrity or character. Cross that line, and I'm one of those who believe some time for reflection is required, even if not self-imposed.

3. As I said before, I think there's reason and room for us as a community to periodically review the guidelines and to offer to the authorities of the board our individual takes about potential changes that should be considered. Zooming in closer, your problem here isn't with the police, it's with those laws/guidelines. They're not apprehending you without basis. You need to go look at the guideline you think is flawed, and make a rational argument for why it should be changed or abandoned.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

Chad the fck up. #chaddup

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member

Oh Ok.. So we're still talking about calling out the rumor mill?

I agree Sturt,  calling out character is never the thing to do.   Neither is calling people names and the like.  Lots of twitterfingers in that regard. 

However,  I still say that we have to be able to separate the calling out of character vs. the calling out of the rumor.   The rumor and the person that spreads the rumor are not one in the same.  No matter how true the person who spreads the rumor believes the rumor to be.   It's not a character dig to say.. I don't think that rumor is valid.   That statement has nothing to do with who put it out.  Yet, you would think it does by the way people respond to it. 

Secondly, going after mods... now, we're getting into character assault.   One by saying that the mod has done something wrong and second by a mod shutting down a certain poster's post because a certain poster posted it.   There's two wrongs done there and they will continue to replicate the assault. 

We don't want that!

• Like 1

Instead of quickly deleting or locking this thread, I just want to know why it’s taboo to discuss it? 

@lethalweapon3 seems to get all rattled and closes threads but not sure why a public vote is so scary to him. I mean he’s generally good at what he does he’s just super emo 🖤 this time.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

However,  I still say that we have to be able to separate the calling out of character vs. the calling out of the rumor. 

Yup. Facts vs emo 🖤 and Stu fake runnin up pretending he got Soth’s back. No you don’t.

Ah well... yet another forum board that becomes more tedious and mean-spirited than I care to navigate. 

Memorial Day has two meanings for me today.

Enjoy your "discussions."

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So, you couldn't start your own competing HOA page if you and others became unsatisfied with his oversight?

Pretty sure you could.

And regardless, Dies, here's the difference that surely you see if you've taken a moment to think...

Someone pays for this. (No one pays to have a simple FB group or page.)

And that someone who pays for this gets the privilege of deciding who is and who isn't going to oversee it.

The rest of us are benefiting from their money and their work. It would be unjust for us to assume we get some automatic say in how it is run, other than our own freewill to go start our own if we're just that unsatisfied. That's how it works.

And what you just read is coming from someone who mostly took a year away from this site over a dispute (albeit a civil one) with mods. I've been in that mindset that I was frustrated, and can appreciate that perspective. But this is what it is, and that's as it should be.

• Premium Member
Just now, LongTimeFan said:

Ah well... yet another forum board that becomes more tedious and mean-spirited than I care to navigate. 

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnn.... I wanna see a little more of the mean LTF. 😄

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Asking to have a popular vote amongst the people should be asked privately? 🧐 

I have to agree here.  If not presented with angst, I believe that it's healthy to discuss the possibility (if this is a "democracy").   It may not be a democracy though... and that should be part of the discussion too.  But it's not "American" to silence something just because of who said it.

@sturt that statement was sort of equivalent to saying "Shut up, your opinion is not important around here."  It was real Gestapo like. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LongTimeFan said:

Did you have anyone in the military in your family? If you did then you know if you didn’t then don’t make a wise crack about it. That’s lame long, that ain’t you.