• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Yes more bites at the apple. We honestly were not much different when Trae was out, at least not record wise. DJ was putting up comparable numbers to Trae. DJ can guard his position and he costs less. I think ultimately it might be challenging to build a winner around Trae. Not saying we have to trade him. But if an offer is there that is acceptable for a player of his caliber, I would take it. 

Quin's Jazz teams are the ceiling with a DJ led team. Trae give you a higher ceiling.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I wouldn't trade those 2025 and 2027 picks if I were the Spurs. But If they did decide they wanted Trae, we would have to recoup significant draft capital. 

I love Trae. But you're living in a world where the Spurs value him soooo much, that they're willing to screw themselves to get him. That doesn't make sense. 

Trading our own picks back so we can tank is essentially the Spurs paying double. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Bad idea, and the Spurs isn't that stupid to trade back gold and they will have a chance to find a PG that is cost effective and under the rookie salary for a while.

Exactly, I know we want them to trade the picks back, but why would they?? Especially when they're most likely unprotected lottery picks. They have the leverage. It will be KJ, 4, 8, '27, Waive pick swap AT BEST.

6 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Quin's Jazz teams are the ceiling with a DJ led team. Trae give you a higher ceiling.

I'm not even sure the ceiling is that high. That team was murderous in the regular season. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Afro said:

I'm not even sure the ceiling is that high. That team was murderous in the regular season. 

True. We definitely don't have the scorer in Spida or defender in Gobert on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

I love Trae. But you're living in a world where the Spurs value him soooo much, that they're willing to screw themselves to get him. That doesn't make sense. 

Trading our own picks back so we can tank is essentially the Spurs paying double. 

Trading Trae isn't tanking, I disagree. We are about the same with or without him. His career +/- and our record without him suggests his impact on winning is overrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

Completely ignoring how flawed that last sentence is for the Hawks....

You realize your logic here isn't sound, right? 

Trae has no impact on winning but is somehow also worth 4 lottery picks? 

The Spurs didn't want to keep Murray, but are fine trading 4 lottery picks for the dude who is less valuable to the team that currently has both of them? 

I'm stating my personal opinion on Trae. I'm not stating he has no market value in a trade. Is that beyond your comprehension?

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm stating my personal opinion on Trae. I'm not stating he has no market value in a trade. Is that beyond your comprehension?

So your personal opinion is that Trae is worth substantially more than Murray on the open market, but there is no difference in keeping one or the other on the Hawks...?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShooterSays said:

So to summarize the last few days on the Squawk for those who’ve missed it:

* Hawks were better off picking at 10 than at 1.

* This draft sucks and the #1 overall prospect is going to bust, but we should trade for and build around picks 1, 4 and 8.

* Trae also sucks and doesn’t impact winning, but the Spurs will want to send us their draft this year + all our picks back.

* Surprisingly, no Bronny James posts yet, but it’s still early.

Too much Edey to make it around to Bronny just yet lol

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Afro said:

So your personal opinion is that Trae is worth substantially more than Murray on the open market, but there is no difference in keeping one or the other on the Hawks...?

I don't know what Trae is worth on the market. I would assume his value is equal to at least or perhaps better than Murray. I'm not denying Trae's resume, all star appearances, assist leader. Nevertheless, his flaws, namely poor shooting and defense, make him a difficult player to build around as your number 1. In SA he can be a number 2, with a generational center. Players are not independent entities, it's about context and how they fit.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Did you watch that actual Woj clip?  He moreso suggests that he thinks we might look at trading Trae.  It was just him being an analyst in that clip, it's not him reporting insider info regarding Trae. He didn't say my sources told me we are looking to trade Trae at all.  But of course news headlines picked that up and blasted out that Hawks are looking to move Trae Young.

They want to spin the narrative that Trae wants out.  I wouldn't be surprised if agents/teams were involved trying to create a narrative that benefits them by landing Trae.

30 minutes ago, Afro said:

Hawks-"Our plan is to tank, so we want those top 5 picks back" 

Spurs - "oh sure, that's the exact situation we were hoping for, but wed be happy to help you out instead for some reason!" 

Do people really think this makes sense? Lol.

Like all the Spurs have to do is get literally any other PG, wait for the Hawks to explode, and laugh their way to the bank. 

Why would the Spurs deal those picks?

For one, same reason why we might deal the #1 pick.  A bird in the hand and all that...

Secondly, it's not set in stone where those picks land - and one of them is just a pick swap.  It's not guaranteed that the Hawks will be a lottery team.  I mean literally, that's the whole point of this offseason - to get Trae back in the playoffs.  If the Hawks make the playoffs the next 2 years, those are mid first rounders at best.  Outside of the lottery, there's something like <2% chance of finding an All Star...let alone a franchise cornerstone.

Even if they are lottery picks, there is no guarantee of anything.  Trae and DJ are both young, legit All Star talents at PG - right now.  Trae is putting up unheard of stats.  A PG like him comes along once in a blue moon, DJ twice in a blue moon, and even then you're not guaranteed to even have a shot at him.  If he's a consensus, everyone is going for him.  If he's not, it's just another gamble.  We can all count the number of lottery picks that didn't become franchise saviors.

It's not a stretch.  Would we give up two unprotected picks for a legit All Star SG or stretch 5 with comparable stats to Trae?  In a nanosecond.  The Spurs would take Trae without blinking (they'd take DJ with one blink). We're drooling over Trae/Sarr...but somehow Spurs fans wouldn't go absolutely apeshit for Trae/Wemby...?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I also need to stress...that I am NOT in favor of getting our picks back and tanking.  If we had a shot at getting those picks (or some of them) and KEEPING Trae, I would reroute those picks to land a SG or stretch big.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If, and that's a big if, the Hawks do actually shop Trae, the Spurs will have to let go of those picks.  They aren't getting him otherwise.  The Hawks aren't going to take 10 cents on the dollar for Trae like they did John Collins.  The Hawks have all the leverage.  They don't have to trade him even if he asks to be traded.  He's under contract through 2026.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

So basically, your bias against Trae is showing.  

Ya'll and this hard-coded, left/right, binary Squawk talk.  Read the post above yours if this is directed at me.