• Premium Member

Ok...  here goes...

Georgetown Hoyas...

• Michael Jackson
  • Allen Iverson
  • Jeff Green
  • Alonzo Morning**
  • Patrick Ewing. 

**  Technicality,  Alonzo played with Deke and they played twin towers where Alonzo played PF even though he was a natural Center... but In case that's not respected.... PF = Michael Sweetney. 

• Premium Member

Here's a second team...  Since I believe nobody will call them out...

Syracuse Orangemen

• Sherman Douglass (The General). 
  • Dion Waiters
  • Carmelo Anthony
  • Derrick Coleman
  • Rony Seikley(?)

I hate I couldn't find a place for Billy Owens or John Wallace or Jason Hart.     Yeah this top 5 is great!!!

Wesley Johnson,  Haikeem Warrick... I don't know any of the old dudes.. but I'm sure that there's an old dude that's great because the Big East Teams were all that back in the day. 

It's going to be hard finding a small forward greater than Anthony... Possibly Grant Hill but we shall see. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

One more.. this is addictive...

Michigan Wolverines...

• Jalen Rose
  • Jamal Crawford 
  • Glenn Rice
  • Chris Webber
  • Juwan Howard 

Lots left off...  THJr, Bufkin, Jett, Staskis, Poole, Duncan, Vault, Higgins, and Tractor Trailer...  But Glen Rice was the truth... and The Fab Five had to get 3...    Loy Vault though...    Like him or not, Staskas was a very good College player.

• Premium Member

I was really hoping that somebody would do some of these ACC teams.   Somebody would do the rest of the Big East teams.

UVA, Ga Tech, Duke, UNC, FSU...

Michigan St., Purdue, Illinois

UGA, Clemson, UA, UF, UT

Texas, Oklahoma,  OK St., TAMU

UCLA, USC, UW

Come on Hawksquawk,  rep your favorite Program. 

• Premium Member

I'm going to need some help with this next one... 

UNC Tarheels..

• PG
  • Michael Jordan
  • James Worthy
  • PF
  • C

Here's my problem...  Good College players... Not so great Pro players or maybe they were...

Here's what I mean...

Tyler Hansbrough vs. Sam Perkins vs. Antwain Jamison vs. Sean May vs. Rasheed Wallace vs. Harrison Barnes

then..

Brendan Haywood vs J.R. Reid  vs. Eric Montross vs Brad Daughtery.

Then...

Kenny Smith  vs. Raymond Felton vs. Ty Lawson vs. Easy Ed Cota vs. Phil Ford

Now if I go by who did what in the pros, it's easier... But Phil Ford was a freaking Legend.   Tyler Hansbrough is probably the most decorated TarHeel ever... 

Come on Squawk... where are my UNC Squawkers?  I have similar problems with Duke. 

@AHF  What about Kentucky??

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Simple.

Put up your favorite College Squad Top 5 all time and let's agree on who wins...  Also.. we go by Positions...  C, PF, SF, SG, and PG...

Are you looking for the best college players or NBA players or something else?  I'll use an examples:

Travis Ford vs Immanuel Quickley.  Ford was by far the better college point guard but Quickley is by far the better pro.  Do you want us to try to pick one or the other or something else like our personal favorite (like maybe I'm a bigger fan of Spud Webb than I am of Magic Johnson even though clearly Magic is the better PG)?  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are you looking for the best college players or NBA players or something else?  I'll use an examples:

Travis Ford vs Immanuel Quickley.  Ford was by far the better college point guard but Quickley is by far the better pro.  Do you want us to try to pick one or the other or something else like our personal favorite (like maybe I'm a bigger fan of Spud Webb than I am of Magic Johnson even though clearly Magic is the better PG)?  

Best College players...     Because ultimately this is about recruitment.   

• Diesel changed the title to College Top 5...
  • Moderators

I am sure you would ask 100 Kentucky fans and get 100 different answers.  I guess I would skew modern and go with:

PG - John Wall (*)

SG - Devin Booker

SF - Jamal Mashburn

PF - Dan Issel

C - Anthony Davis

Second Team:

PG - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

SG - Tony Delk

SF - Cliff Hagan

PF - Antoine Walker

C - Karl Anthony Towns

Also considered: 

PG:  Jamal Murray, Rajon Rondo, Travis Ford, Wayne Turner, Eric Bledsoe, Ralph Beard, Tyrese Maxey

SG:  Rex Chapman, Pat Riley, Tyler Herro, Kyle Macy, Derek Anderson, Malik Monk, Jodie Meeks

SF: Tayshaun Prince, Kenny Walker, Ron Mercer, Jack Givens, Trey Lyles

PF: Julius Randle, Patrick Patterson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Walter McCarty, Chuck Hayes, PJ Washington

C - Bam Adebayo, Sam Bowie, Rick Robey

(*) On this particular team, I could see going with Jamal Murray over Wall since Mashburn can be your point forward and Murray does a lot more to spread the floor.  That said, Wall's athleticism was so dominant in college (and would be in any era with his size and speed) that I think this is actually the better roster and would be stifling defensively with the size and athleticism of the team.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/14/2023 at 11:39 PM, Diesel said:

Here's a second team...  Since I believe nobody will call them out...

Syracuse Orangemen

• Sherman Douglass (The General). 
  • Dion Waiters
  • Carmelo Anthony
  • Derrick Coleman
  • Rony Seikley(?)

I hate I couldn't find a place for Billy Owens or John Wallace or Jason Hart.     Yeah this top 5 is great!!!

Wesley Johnson,  Haikeem Warrick... I don't know any of the old dudes.. but I'm sure that there's an old dude that's great because the Big East Teams were all that back in the day. 

It's going to be hard finding a small forward greater than Anthony... Possibly Grant Hill but we shall see. 

If this is based on best team and not favorite you dropped the ball on the Cuse.   If Sherman Douglas is the General then Dave Bing is the Supreme Ruler of the entire galaxy.  Dave Bing wipes his butt with Douglas’s basketball reference page.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I’d put my alma mater‘s starting 5 up against just about anyone’s:

DePaul:

C George Mikan (the first GOAT)

PF. Terry Cummings

SF. Mark Aguire

PG. Rocket Rod Strickland

SG. Quentin Richardson

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 12:31 AM, Diesel said:

This is Hawkish… not Diesel.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets...

• Kenny Anderson
  • Mark Price 
  • Dennis Scott
  • Matt Harpring
  • Chris Bosh 

**  I did not consider older players like Rich Yunkus or Roger Kaiser because I’ve never seen them play; however, Yunkus would probably be the starting center according to a GT historian.

Price had relatively low assist totals and strong shooting numbers to justify the move to SG.

Harpring was more SF in the NBA; however, IIRC, he was a powerful, combo forward in the smaller college game.

Chris Bosh is listed more due to name recognition as he only played one year.  John Salley was an instrumental center for a winning GT team, but I let Bosh’s talent win.

2nd team:

Stephon Marbury 

Jarrett Jack (played some combo guard with Bynum)

Tom Hammonds (should probably be 1st team statistically but I’m not as familiar with him)

James Forrest

John Salley

HMs: Brian Oliver, Travis Best, BJ Elder, Thaddeus Young

The “What could have been” goes to Dion Glover.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:31 AM, Diesel said:

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Duke would be fun and difficult (due to volume obviously).

Duke Blue Devils...

• Jason Williams 
  • Trajan Langdon 
  • Grant Hill
  • Elton Brand (or Boozer?)
  • Christian Laettner

This is just quick off the top of my head.  Langdon’s (or Reddick?) outside shooting, Brand in the low post with Hill playmaking?  Goodness gracious.

After some research, there are just too many to choose from.  I chose from players I most recently remember.  Johnny Dawkins, Mike Gminski, Bobby Hurley, Luol Deng, etc.  

Edited by Hawkish

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Hawkish said:

Duke would be fun and difficult (due to volume obviously).

Duke Blue Devils...

• Jason Williams 
  • Trajan Langdon 
  • Grant Hill
  • Elton Brand (or Boozer?)
  • Christian Laettner

This is just quick off the top of my head.  Langdon’s (or Reddick?) outside shooting, Brand in the low post with Hill playmaking?  Goodness gracious.

After some research, there are just too many to choose from.  I chose from players I most recently remember.  Johnny Dawkins, Mike Gminski, Bobby Hurley, Luol Deng, etc.  

blasphemous that you don’t have Hurley over J Williams.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Alma Mater, not much of a basketball school but still wanted to give this a go:

Tennessee State

PG. Richard Barnett

SG: Robert Covington

SF: Leonard “Truck” Robinson

PF: Anthony Mason

C : Carlos Rodgers

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 3

Tennessee Volunteers

G - Tony White - ( 3x All-SEC ) . . still has school record 51 pts in a game.

G - Allan Houston - ( 2x 2nd team All-American  / 4x All-SEC )

F - Dale Ellis - ( 2x All-American / 2x SEC POY )

PF - Bernard King - ( 2x All-American / 3x SEC POY ) . . . 25 ppg - 13 rebs for his career

C - Grant Williams - ( All-American / 2x SEC POY )

Some of you may have flashier names and guys who excelled at the NBA level.  But very few of you have a quintet that could beat this group.  And this with me leaving Ernie Grunfeld - ( All-American / 4x All-SEC )  off the list, who I would put ahead of Houston, but Allan has the long range jumper.

White and Houston will flat out shoot you out of the gym.

Ellis and King will kill you on the block and in the midrange . . and with Ellis, with the corner 3.  King was just a beast all around.

Grant in college was a low post demon, who could defend both the 4 and the 5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My Alma Mater, not much of a basketball school but still wanted to give this a go:

Tennessee State

PG. Richard Barnett

SG: Robert Covington

SF: Leonard “Truck” Robinson

PF: Anthony Mason

C : Carlos Rodgers

Darryl Brooks and Jr Clay needs a honorable mention here too.  I remember Brooks when I was in high school, whenever TSU came up to play Austin Peay.  He was a MONSTER when I was a Senior in high school.  The team was sorry as hell, but he stood out as easily their best player.

Jr. Clay I believe just graduated, but he played well for TSU the past few years.

Never seen Richard Barnett, so I can't speak on him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Darryl Brooks and Jr Clay needs a honorable mention here too.  I remember Brooks when I was in high school, whenever TSU came up to play Austin Peay.  He was a MONSTER when I was a Senior in high school.  The team was sorry as hell, but he stood out as easily their best player.

Jr. Clay I believe just graduated, but he played well for TSU the past few years.

Never seen Richard Barnett, so I can't speak on him.

Richard is really D-ck Barnett but the filter won’t let me use his name lol

I haven’t followed our team recently as we have been pretty terrible but Jr Clays numbers are legit and I need a better option at PG 

Brooks senior year stats are eye popping 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

I am sure you would ask 100 Kentucky fans and get 100 different answers.  I guess I would skew modern and go with:

PG - John Wall (*)

SG - Devin Booker

SF - Jamal Mashburn

PF - Dan Issel

C - Anthony Davis

Second Team:

PG - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

SG - Tony Delk

SF - Cliff Hagan

PF - Antoine Walker

C - Karl Anthony Towns

Also considered: 

PG:  Jamal Murray, Rajon Rondo, Travis Ford, Wayne Turner, Eric Bledsoe, Ralph Beard, Tyrese Maxey

SG:  Rex Chapman, Pat Riley, Tyler Herro, Kyle Macy, Derek Anderson, Malik Monk, Jodie Meeks

SF: Tayshaun Prince, Kenny Walker, Ron Mercer, Jack Givens, Trey Lyles

PF: Julius Randle, Patrick Patterson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Walter McCarty, Chuck Hayes, PJ Washington

C - Bam Adebayo, Sam Bowie, Rick Robey

(*) On this particular team, I could see going with Jamal Murray over Wall since Mashburn can be your point forward and Murray does a lot more to spread the floor.  That said, Wall's athleticism was so dominant in college (and would be in any era with his size and speed) that I think this is actually the better roster and would be stifling defensively with the size and athleticism of the team.  

As long as you got Mashburn in that 1st team....  That's all that matters..

7 hours ago, shakes said:

If this is based on best team and not favorite you dropped the ball on the Cuse.   If Sherman Douglas is the General then Dave Bing is the Supreme Ruler of the entire galaxy.  Dave Bing wipes his butt with Douglas’s basketball reference page.

I don't doubt.  Bing was before my time of watching the Cuse.  Easy replacement.