• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Hunter Compete??

Diesel

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It doesn't seem like it.   I guess, there's a definition subscribed to off the dribble.  Maybe they are excluding threes?  I just pulled up a quick video.  Damn near all of these shots I would classify as off the dribble?

A selected video would not tell the whole story, by this alone, he's shooting 100%. The stat is saying when he shoots those types of shots he's not in the top 10 FG%.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That is legit elite for that piece of the pie.  But I would just say that if the whole pie is a player's effectiveness as a scorer this efg% on jumpers off the dribble with 200+ attempts is just a slice of the pie.

26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

People have taken the Kawhi comparison and run exceptionally hard with it.   Now, he's a defender like Kawhi and a shooter like Kawhi. 

When we played the Clipps this past season, Kawhi couldn't miss.   Dude Drained like 5 three pointers and it was effortless. I'm not a big fan of Kawhi but I do have respect.   The guy can go when he feels like it. 

Dre has a long way to go to get into Kawhi's airspace. 

Per my comment above, he clearly isn't a shooter like Kawhi.  Kawhi scored 24 points a game on .623% TS% last year.  Hunter was 15 points a game on .563% TS%.  That is a huge gap production and TS% which tells you that outside of jumpers off the dribble that Kawhi is crushing Hunter.  Obviously, Hunter has never been close to as impactful on defense as Kawhi either which is primarily about how disruptive Kawhi can be (big gap in deflections, steals, blocks and rebounds which all end possessions for the opposition).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A selected video would not tell the whole story, by this alone, he's shooting 100%. The stat is saying when he shoots those types of shots he's not in the top 10 FG%.

Still not seeing it.  I want to say did they single out Forwards or something.   Steph is shooting like 61% EFG%.

Unless you disqualify his shots when he catches the ball and moves to another spot to shoot... I don't see how he's not on the list.   Moreover, how reliable is the source?

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Diesel

I tried to look for it on NBA.com and found a closely related stat of efg% on pull-up jumpers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/pullup?PerMode=Totals&dir=D&sort=PULL_UP_EFG_PCT

I changed from per game totals for the minimum attempts and then sorted by efg%.  

On pull-ups according to NBA.com , the leaders in efg% with minimum 200 attempts are:

1. Steph
  2. Durant
  3. Hield
  4. Brogdon
  5. Haliburton (AJ would be here if he had 18 more attempts last year)
  6. Seth Curry
  7. Huerter
  8. Kyrie
  9. Lillard
  10. Mitchell
  11. Bane
  12. Hunter

The list looks too different from the one above but tells a pretty similar story.

Also, almost 50% of Hunter's shots last year were "open" or "wide open."  Probably not unrelated to his % on these types of shots.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

@Diesel

I tried to look for it on NBA.com and found a closely related stat of efg% on pull-up jumpers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/pullup?PerMode=Totals&dir=D&sort=PULL_UP_EFG_PCT

I changed from per game totals for the minimum attempts and then sorted by efg%.  

On pull-ups according to NBA.com , the leaders in efg% with minimum 200 attempts are:

1. Steph
  2. Durant
  3. Hield
  4. Brogdon
  5. Haliburton (AJ would be here if he had 18 more attempts last year)
  6. Seth Curry
  7. Huerter
  8. Kyrie
  9. Lillard
  10. Mitchell
  11. Bane
  12. Hunter

The list looks too different from the one above but tells a pretty similar story.

Also, almost 50% of Hunter's shots last year were "open" or "wide open."  Probably not unrelated to his % on these types of shots.

Yeah this is more of what I would have expected.  Hence, I believe that the other list was something like fowards only.??   I mean, if you look at Forwards or GF  then You start at Durant, Hunter would be next... but the Seth Curry and Kyrie on the other listing makes this no good.   I don't know how the source is sourcing.   Even with forwards and G/F...

you would be like 

Durant, Curry, Huerter, Bane, Hunter.    from this listing.   And either way, Hunter couldn't have been #2...  So there must be some way that off the dribble is defined and calculated. 

• Premium Member

AJ Griffin = 9th??  ok let me explain my question marks.  Griffin had a terrible 2nd half of the season.   In the second half of the season, he couldn't hit a barn standing on the country road in front of it.   So for him to be 9th (when considering EFG%), he must have been damn near nuclear out of the gate. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

AJ Griffin = 9th??  ok let me explain my question marks.  Griffin had a terrible 2nd half of the season.   In the second half of the season, he couldn't hit a barn standing on the country road in front of it.   So for him to be 9th (when considering EFG%), he must have been damn near nuclear out of the gate. 

If you saw my list above, you saw AJ was elite on pull-ups.  If  you drop the attempts from 200 to 175 you get this list:

On pull-ups according to NBA.com , the leaders in efg% with minimum 175 attempts are:

1. Steph
  2. Durant 
  3. Hield (McConnell beats out Hield here if you drop the attempts to 150)
  4. Brogdon
  5. AJ Griffin
  6. Haliburton 
  7. Seth Curry
  8. Huerter
  9. Kyrie
  10. Lillard
  11. Mitchell
  12. Bane
  13. Hunter