• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Hunter Compete??

Diesel

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, swanlee said:

1. Stay Healthy

2. Be more agressive on a consistent basis

3. Stop disappearing in games

Which one is what you would like him to do... and which one do you think he has worked on?

We can do so much worse than Hunter. Whether he improves anything or not, he is not a liability for us in any way.

His rebounding becomes more of a need due to our lack of replacement for JC and potential loss of Capela. Otherwise, the only real issue with him is not having lived up to being the #4 pick. 

I can already see that he is next up to be the whipping boy now that JC is gone lol 

For me, I just need Hunter to be a 3 and D guy. That is all I need. At least 400 threes by the end of the year, 7-8 three-pointers a game. Dre needs to improve his C&S rate a lot. I expect to see that a lot more in this offense. I have come to accept the fact that he is never going to be the aggressive guy that attacks the rim/ mini Kawhi people thought he was gonna be 2-3 years ago. He is gonna be passive, he is gonna turn the ball over, and he is gonna probably take those dumb middies. Hunter is who he is at this point. Despite that, I believe Dre can be an above-average 3pt shooter who could help this team. The defense should be better with the new schemes Quin is cooking up and hopefully, Dre will improve. 

And if Hunter is trash....well we can bench him for AJ or Jalen and then trade him to Detroit for Bojan so either way we are fine 🤷‍♂️

This year is 100% his last chance if he is still on the roster. 

49 minutes ago, warcore said:

let the records state that I was whipping Dre looooooong before JC was gone. 

I was also not whipping JC

We need Dre to be an IMPACT player.  Point blank.

If his strength is defense, I need him to be enough of an impact player that he's a candidate for at least 2nd team All-NBA Defense.  That means being more active in every facet of defense, and not just be content with guarding his man.

On offense, we need that 3 ball to improve.  Only 34% shooting on catch and shoot 3s, which represents 86% of his 3 point attempts. That must improve.

His advanced metrics say that he's not an impact player at all, and may be a negative impact player.  That has to change.

Not even asking the world from Dre.  Just improve in the areas you're supposed to do well in.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

For me, I just need Hunter to be a 3 and D guy. That is all I need. At least 400 threes by the end of the year, 7-8 three-pointers a game. Dre needs to improve his C&S rate a lot. I expect to see that a lot more in this offense. I have come to accept the fact that he is never going to be the aggressive guy that attacks the rim/ mini Kawhi people thought he was gonna be 2-3 years ago. He is gonna be passive, he is gonna turn the ball over, and he is gonna probably take those dumb middies. Hunter is who he is at this point. Despite that, I believe Dre can be an above-average 3pt shooter who could help this team. The defense should be better with the new schemes Quin is cooking up and hopefully, Dre will improve. 

And if Hunter is trash....well we can bench him for AJ or Jalen and then trade him to Detroit for Bojan so either way we are fine 🤷‍♂️

This year is 100% his last chance if he is still on the roster. 

According to StatMuse, the average 3pt% for Small forwards is 35.4% since 1979-1980.    Since that over several eras, I will say that during this era, we can pump it up to say... 36.2%.

So for the 2023-2024 season, We look for Dre to shoot above 36.2% from three..   and put up at least 7 to 8 attempts per game. 

Can we agree to that @givemesome1ce1?

• Moderators
On 7/28/2023 at 11:23 PM, Diesel said:

What happened to all the play making Bigs not named Jokic?

• Embiid...  2nd round exit. 
  • Horford....  2nd round exit.
  • Valenciunis... No playoffs. 
  • Brook Lopez.. out in the first. 

Uhm...  I don't think it's a thing yet. 

Guys like Luka and Lebron don't make the finals.  Hell, Luka didn't even make the playoffs.

Fact of the matter is why do we need a play making big?

What?  Are we just judging based on what happened last year?  Because 29 teams are going to be failures.

Embiid - MVP

Horford in the finals 2 years ago

JV i don't care about 

Lopez - NBA champion

To me it's not just about play making but we need a big who is an offensive threat in some way.   With JC having a bad year that killed us.   Hunter, JC, CC are very poor ball handlers and passers.  We need a better 4 or 5.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Diesel said:

According to StatMuse, the average 3pt% for Small forwards is 35.4% since 1979-1980.    Since that over several eras, I will say that during this era, we can pump it up to say... 36.2%.

So for the 2023-2024 season, We look for Dre to shoot above 36.2% from three..   and put up at least 7 to 8 attempts per game. 

Can we agree to that @givemesome1ce1?

We can absolutely agree to that. I think that is the way for Dre to the best way for him to be best player he can be. He will have the most spacing he will ever have in his career. I believe he can do this

• Premium Member

Ranking the NBA's Most Overrated Players of the Last 5 Years

5. Luguentz Dort

4. Gabe Vincent

3. De'Andre Hunter

After being selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2019 draft, De'Andre Hunter has started all but six of his career games with the Atlanta Hawks.

As recently as last summer, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that he and Trae Young were the only untouchables on the Hawks roster.

He's even been compared to Kawhi Leonard.

But the reality of Hunter hasn't quite lived up to any of that. A 13.9-point career scoring average is solid, but his three-point percentage is below average, and his ancillary contributions are almost nonexistent.

Among the 394 players with 2,000-plus minutes during his career, he's tied for 341st in assist percentage. Since bringing up that rank may not be fair (given the fact that he plays with Young), it's also worth noting that he's 255th in that group in rebounding percentage, 341st in steal percentage and 268th in block percentage.

In other words, Hunter has to do more to warrant his position in the core of a team that should be a perennial playoff team with Young on the books.

2. RJ Barrett

1. Dillon Brooks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10084369-ranking-the-nbas-most-overrated-players-of-the-last-5-years

• Premium Member
    25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ranking the NBA's Most Overrated Players of the Last 5 Years

5. Luguentz Dort

4. Gabe Vincent

3. De'Andre Hunter

After being selected with the fourth overall pick in the 2019 draft, De'Andre Hunter has started all but six of his career games with the Atlanta Hawks.

As recently as last summer, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that he and Trae Young were the only untouchables on the Hawks roster.

He's even been compared to Kawhi Leonard.

But the reality of Hunter hasn't quite lived up to any of that. A 13.9-point career scoring average is solid, but his three-point percentage is below average, and his ancillary contributions are almost nonexistent.

Among the 394 players with 2,000-plus minutes during his career, he's tied for 341st in assist percentage. Since bringing up that rank may not be fair (given the fact that he plays with Young), it's also worth noting that he's 255th in that group in rebounding percentage, 341st in steal percentage and 268th in block percentage.

In other words, Hunter has to do more to warrant his position in the core of a team that should be a perennial playoff team with Young on the books.

2. RJ Barrett

1. Dillon Brooks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10084369-ranking-the-nbas-most-overrated-players-of-the-last-5-years

Nick Cannon Nickelodeon GIF by LA Kings - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
      2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's crazy.

I never thought about Hunter being a off the dribble shooter.   Mainly because he can't dribble.  or he doesn't do it well.   But here's something...  all those other players are feature scorers for their team. 

KD - 16 FGA

Kawhi -16.8 FGA

Mikal - 18.6 FGA

Shai - 20.3 FGA 

Bojan - 14.9 FGA 

Seth - 7.4 FGA

Dre = 12.3 FGA

So only Seth has less attempts than Dre.   By the way... where is Steph? 

• Moderators
      5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's crazy.

I never thought about Hunter being a off the dribble shooter.   Mainly because he can't dribble.  or he doesn't do it well.   But here's something...  all those other players are feature scorers for their team. 

KD - 16 FGA

Kawhi -16.8 FGA

Mikal - 18.6 FGA

Shai - 20.3 FGA 

Bojan - 14.9 FGA 

Seth - 7.4 FGA

Dre = 12.3 FGA

I thought the same thing but Dre is really good at dribbling to a spot for a mid ranger.  Anything else is shaky but that's the skill that got him the Kawhi comparison to begin with. 

• Premium Member
      9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's crazy.

KD - 16 FGA

Kawhi -16.8 FGA

Mikal - 18.6 FGA

Shai - 20.3 FGA 

Bojan - 14.9 FGA 

Seth - 7.4 FGA

Dre = 12.3 FGA

He has a decent one/two dribble pull up. 

Steph is mostly catch and shoot.

• Premium Member
      3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I thought the same thing but Dre is really good at dribbling to a spot for a mid ranger.  Anything else is shaky but that's the skill that got him the Kawhi comparison to begin with. 

People have taken the Kawhi comparison and run exceptionally hard with it.   Now, he's a defender like Kawhi and a shooter like Kawhi. 

When we played the Clipps this past season, Kawhi couldn't miss.   Dude Drained like 5 three pointers and it was effortless. I'm not a big fan of Kawhi but I do have respect.   The guy can go when he feels like it. 

Dre has a long way to go to get into Kawhi's airspace. 

• Premium Member
      2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Steph is mostly catch and shoot.

It doesn't seem like it.   I guess, there's a definition subscribed to off the dribble.  Maybe they are excluding threes?  I just pulled up a quick video.  Damn near all of these shots I would classify as off the dribble?