• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks didn't make their lists!

Gray Mule

ESPN has several different lists about teams and players in the NBA.  The best and worst.  Hawks get no mention.  Not even an honorable mention.  We aren't the best or worst at anything.  We did apparently make their "completely ignoe" list.

What does all this mean?  No Hawk player is considered in the elite catgory.  The Hawk team is not considered elite.  Yet the Hawks are not expected to be one of the weak sister teams.  We will be expected to be a .500 team the entire season.  Neither hot nor cold.  Lukewarm.  Winning against weaker teams.  Losing to better teams.

Squawk posters dream of having our name mentioned when they discuss great teams.  Lest we forget, basketball is a team sport and we will be good or bad as a team.  Quin and staff have their work set before them as we approach this season's opening bell.  Can Atlanta have a great team this season?  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I'm a little disappointed in our off season but i look around the east and don't fear anyone.  Bucks, Philly, Heat are all due for let downs.  Boston is the only one with a little consistency and momentum but not impressed with what they did.  I think we're sitting pretty good right now with some trade deadline flexibility.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm a little disappointed in our off season but i look around the east and don't fear anyone.  Bucks, Philly, Heat are all due for let downs.  Boston is the only one with a little consistency and momentum but not impressed with what they did.  I think we're sitting pretty good right now with some trade deadline flexibility.

Like you, i'm not scared of a lot of Eastern teams.   Boston has KP but I don't trust his health.. and they lost Marcus Smart.   They have two untrustable players playing important positions:  KP and MB. 

I'm actually more fearful of Cleveland and NY a little.  I believe that Miami will get Lillard but I don't think that will make them automatic. I also am not taking my eyes off of the young guns like Orlando and Detroit.  They may make some noise. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Like you, i'm not scared of a lot of Eastern teams.   Boston has KP but I don't trust his health.. and they lost Marcus Smart.   They have two untrustable players playing important positions:  KP and MB. 

I'm actually more fearful of Cleveland and NY a little.  I believe that Miami will get Lillard but I don't think that will make them automatic. I also am not taking my eyes off of the young guns like Orlando and Detroit.  They may make some noise. 

Yep.  In other words, every single team has about the same amount of question marks as we do. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Playing 41-41 ball all last year will do that.

Like most, there isn't a clear cut favorite in the east.  Hawks need to not lose to teams they are supposed/expected to beat. We had at least 10-12 games where we shit the bed against the 'bad' teams.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

For the negative i'd say we have frontcourt issues.  

Negative, I think our problem overall is just defense.  It may be a size thing in the front court but defense.  Our other problem was coaching.   We played more isoball than team ball and that worked against us.  I expect a change under Snyder. 

• Like 1

This team hasn’t gotten any better and doesn’t have, and yea I know some will disagree, a true superstar that can truly take over a game on both ends of the floor. Just how it goes with this team. 

tall can hold out hope, which is fine, but this team isn’t better than at least 10 teams in the league. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, noble said:

This team hasn’t gotten any better and doesn’t have, and yea I know some will disagree, a true superstar that can truly take over a game on both ends of the floor. Just how it goes with this team. 

tall can hold out hope, which is fine, but this team isn’t better than at least 10 teams in the league. 

You were 1000% correct when you said You know some will disagree. 

I disagree.

Trae is a superstar and some of you won't realize it until he's gone winning a chip somewhere else and going into the hall of fame.  

We were supposed to get better last year but we kept the same coach.   This year with a new coach, i expect to see a better team.  Talent is not our problem.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

You were 1000% correct when you said You know some will disagree. 

I disagree.

Trae is a superstar and some of you won't realize it until he's gone winning a chip somewhere else and going into the hall of fame.  

We were supposed to get better last year but we kept the same coach.   This year with a new coach, i expect to see a better team.  Talent is not our problem.   

He’s a 2 to a 1. So if he leaves and wins a chip it will because he joined a 1. 

I dunno how players are magically going to start playing defense when it hasn’t been who they are 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Diesel said:

Negative, I think our problem overall is just defense.  It may be a size thing in the front court but defense.  Our other problem was coaching.   We played more isoball than team ball and that worked against us.  I expect a change under Snyder. 

For sure defense but we have no offensive threats in the front court right now and those teams go nowhere.  That's why we're pinning so much on JJ.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, noble said:

He’s a 2 to a 1. So if he leaves and wins a chip it will because he joined a 1. 

I dunno how players are magically going to start playing defense when it hasn’t been who they are 

This is not an attack on you @noble ,  This is questioning your position....

What makes a 1 in your world @noble??

Obviously it's not accomplishments or what a player does on the court.   It must be their measurables off the court.   Because anytime you care to consider accomplishments...

TRAE YOUNG ALL-DEFENSE 2023 on X: "Only 2 Players averaged 25  PPG and 9   APG in 4 straight seasons... Oscar Robertson Trae Young Nobody else has  even done it 3 times. https://t.co/20C7PYICbX" / X ESPN on X: "Trae Young is doing things only Oscar Robertson has done 🔥  https://t.co/hf4Et0E4tO" / X  image.jpeg   ESPN Stats & Info a X: "Trae Young recorded his 20th career 40-point game.  He is the 6th player with at least 20 40-point games before turning 24  since the 1976-77 Merger.  Nikola Jokic, Trae Young named NBA Players of the Week | NBA.com  Devin Booker, Trae Young named NBA Players of the Week | NBA.com  Trae Young is the only player in NBA history to have 55  points and 14   assists in a single game. : r/AtlantaHawks   The Athletic on X: "The most points scored in a postseason game in NBA  history before turning 23 years old: ◻️ Kobe Bryant: 48 points on  05/13/2001 ◻️ LeBron James: 48 points

Trae Young joins LeBron James,... - Basketball Forever | Facebook

IF Trae Young is a 2, he is the most decorated 2 in NBA History!!!   GTFOH

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

For sure defense but we have no offensive threats in the front court right now and those teams go nowhere.  That's why we're pinning so much on JJ.  

I don't think it's exactly front court scoring.   It's Shooting.  JC was in a slump and he played a majority of minutes at the 4 last year.  Not to mention, Nate's Scheme's made him a catch and shoot 4... that took away from one of JC's strengths.   Snyder did not change Nate's Schemes.. He let Prunty keep them in place because there was not time to put in anything new.   But Snyder got his boys in now and he will have his own schemes. 

I think the shooting will be helped by having Bae and healthy Bogi.   They proved to be a strong duo at the end of last season.   I don't know how much JJ will play if he doesn't improve his shooting because right now, that's our problem. 

Many people are bellyaching about the moves we didn't make.  They are looking at this team through Nate's eyes.   I think we have talent everywhere.   Hunter better tighten up though. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2023 at 7:16 AM, Gray Mule said:

ESPN has several different lists about teams and players in the NBA.  The best and worst.  Hawks get no mention.  Not even an honorable mention.  We aren't the best or worst at anything.  We did apparently make their "completely ignoe" list.

What does all this mean?  No Hawk player is considered in the elite catgory.  The Hawk team is not considered elite.  Yet the Hawks are not expected to be one of the weak sister teams.  We will be expected to be a .500 team the entire season.  Neither hot nor cold.  Lukewarm.  Winning against weaker teams.  Losing to better teams.

Squawk posters dream of having our name mentioned when they discuss great teams.  Lest we forget, basketball is a team sport and we will be good or bad as a team.  Quin and staff have their work set before them as we approach this season's opening bell.  Can Atlanta have a great team this season?  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

wheres's the list?  i can't find it on ESPN?

• Premium Member

found it.  Hey we didn't make the list and that's a good thing.  They listed about 10 teams under worst offseason and we weren't on there.

What category did you honestly expect to see hawks player mentioned?  the only 3 individual categories are  best player in the league, best player in 5 years and who will win MVP this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, shakes said:

found it.  Hey we didn't make the list and that's a good thing.  They listed about 10 teams under worst offseason and we weren't on there.

What category did you honestly expect to see hawks player mentioned?  the only 3 individual categories are  best player in the league, best player in 5 years and who will win MVP this year.

I think he was thinking it might a listing under worst offseason given that we gave away JC for cap savings and added exactly no one who is expected to be an important part of the rotation this year.

Hiding in plain sight.

The one player no one mentions when discussing all our short people is 6'11" M. Gueye.

He may only play a minute or two here and there.  Whatever happens, he's our secret.  Let's keep it that way!!

• Like 1