• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

First 20 Games....9 wins - 11 losses.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Trae - started off slow, and has picked it up all across the board.

DJ - started off hot and has tailed off.

Hunter -  still Huntering (that's all I got)

JJ - a very bright spot

CC - struggling

OO - has not taken the next step. I'm dissapointed.

Bogi - slow start from 3 but has picked it up. Still runs hot and cold.

Bey - can't defend his way out of a wet paper bag....ok otherwise except stepping out of bounds on corner 3s with his clown shoes.

AJ - a very Dissapointing season so far, seems lost. I need Quin to play him or send him to the GLeague.

Kobe and Mo - injured

The rest - nothing to write home about

What to do, what to do  what to do????

The roller coaster win, loss, win, loss, win, loss is back. I'm already dizzy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Dnice said:

It's been more losses lately, this team has platued while looking up at 10 or 11 teams.

With JJ out, it has been a struggle. 

At least we got to play Matthues and Matthews.

• Like 1

SAD!  What else can be said?  This Hawk's team ain't.  

Defense?  What defense?  Offense?  Hot and cold.  

Skyhawks continue to win.  Hawks continue to lose.  

What to do?  What to do?  SAD!

:ahf:

• Like 2

• Premium Member

During Trae's rookie year I used to only watch the minutes he played and then I would fast forward through the rest of the game.  that stopped the next year when we got Hunter/Cam and I wanted to see all the young guys.  Next year same thing with OO and then JJ and AJ.

Last few games I've gone back to the practice of fast forwarding whenever Trae isn't on the floor.  Couldn't care less about watching any of the above listed players other than JJ and he's out.  The rest of thsoe guys are all bums.

This team has become completely unenjoyable to watch.  The other day I skipped a Hawks game entirely to watch OKC play instead.  Much more enjoyable team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I asked then and I'm asking again - What is this Hawks DNA?

Paraphrasing Landry himself:

Guys who are bought into their role, work hard, unselfish, share the basketball, play at 100%, etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Paraphrasing Landry himself:

Guys who are bought into their role, work hard, unselfish, share the basketball, play at 100%, etc.  

Who on the Hawks would you say fits this criteria?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who on the Hawks would you say fits this criteria?

Hard for me to say because a lot of what hes describing requires me knowing the players personally, and knowing their habits.  Im not in a good position to assess that… for the on-court aspects, I think most of the guys fit that with the exception of Hunter and maybe Trae/DJ at times.

• Moderators

The problems we have are ones most everyone here saw coming before the season started.  That's what is so frustrating.  Which means the brass knew this was coming too.  We aren't that smart. 

No depth at the forward spots, no scoring up front,  questionable perimeter d, questionable shooting. Having only one PF on the roster was just dumb.  Mathews and Matthews shouldn't be in any rotation.  Bey can't be a starter although at least he brings energy which others are lacking.  

We can knock Quin for some things but he has limited options just as Nate did.  We have more guys that are unplayable than a playoff team should have. 

The solution is to shake up the role players.  Bring in some grit and shooting. Try to get some 2 for 1 trades going because we could use more bodies.  

With JJ we are a decent team.  Without not so much.  I guess the shorter version is we lack talent.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The problems we have are ones most everyone here saw coming before the season started.  That's what is so frustrating.  Which means the brass knew this was coming too.  We aren't that smart. 

No depth at the forward spots, no scoring up front,  questionable perimeter d, questionable shooting. Having only one PF on the roster was just dumb.  Mathews and Matthews shouldn't be in any rotation.  Bey can't be a starter although at least he brings energy which others are lacking.  

We can knock Quin for some things but he has limited options just as Nate did.  We have more guys that are unplayable than a playoff team should have. 

The solution is to shake up the role players.  Bring in some grit and shooting. Try to get some 2 for 1 trades going because we could use more bodies.  

With JJ we are a decent team.  Without not so much.  I guess the shorter version is we lack talent.  

I said at the start of the season, we were depending on internal improvement from our young guys in OO, JJ and AJ to take the next step (which meant some patience would be required). Particularly at PF with JJ playing more minutes and with Bey too small at PF (plus his putrid defense) that was a problem from the start.

23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Mathews and Matthews shouldn't be in any rotation.  Bey can't be a starter although at least he brings energy which others are lacking.  

If we could combine Bey and Hunter - you get one ideal SF.

Agreed on Matthews and Mathews.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Development and patience continue to be our only reasonable options.  Cannot trade for talent unless you have talent to trade back, or if you have draft capital to attach and we are lacking.

So we wait, and rest our hopes on Quin and the development staff.  Landry should absolutely try to get creative and improve the roster, but he is not going to be able to fix this team overnight.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Super disappointing season. People owe Nate a bit of an apology, not saying he was a perfect or even a great coach, but we are seeing he wasn't the main issue (as I pointed out at the time)

32 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The one thing Landry did do was create value in DJ by signing him to a very reasonable deal.  Hopefully OOs deal looks favorable as well by the end of the season.

Agreed, it makes him moveable, and that is obviously what the Hawks will have to do at some point. DJ will have a lot more value for some other team at PG than he does for us at SG.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Development and patience continue to be our only reasonable options.  Cannot trade for talent unless you have talent to trade back, or if you have draft capital to attach and we are lacking.

So we wait, and rest our hopes on Quin and the development staff.  Landry should absolutely try to get creative and improve the roster, but he is not going to be able to fix this team overnight.

I disagree. I think there is another option, but it's quite severe.    Trade players like Hunter, Capela, OO, Bey, DJM for draft picks and expiring contracts.

Use that money to sign a big time FA. 

Start over with Trae/JJ/Free Agent star...maybe DJM as well.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, shakes said:

Use that money to sign a big time FA. 

Big time FAs barely exist anymore -- and why would they want to sign here?  Hope isn't a strategy, so hoping a big time FA wants to come to ATL to play with Trae isn't really ideal imo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1