• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

First 20 Games....9 wins - 11 losses.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Big time FAs barely exist anymore -- and why would they want to sign here?  Hope isn't a strategy, so hoping a big time FA wants to come to ATL to play with Trae isn't really ideal imo

like I said, it's a hail mary.      I give it about a 10% chance of short term success, but also a 80% chance of the team being better in the very long term if they clean house right now.

Maybe they won't sign a FA, but they'll have money and better draft picks to work with and less anchors holding down the team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

People owe Nate a bit of an apology,

No I don't...once he switched to his own offensive system instead of just tweaking LPs, I was out 5 games into that first season. Not taking it back.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, shakes said:

I disagree. I think there is another option, but it's quite severe.    Trade players like Hunter, Capela, OO, Bey, DJM for draft picks and expiring contracts.

Use that money to sign a big time FA. 

Start over with Trae/JJ/Free Agent star...maybe DJM as well.

Easy to say, but which free agent are we talking about exactly? Siakam? Not many franchise type guys are ever going to be available anymore with the way supermax exists.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No I don't...once he switched to his own offensive system instead of just tweaking LPs, I was out 5 games into that first season. Not taking it back.

You can hate his system or whatever but we were 4 games over .500 with the 2nd and 7th rated offense in his two "full" seasons as coach. Quinn's style may be more fun but the results have not been better. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Easy to say, but which free agent are we talking about exactly? Siakam? Not many franchise type guys are ever going to be available anymore with the way supermax exists.

no idea, but definitely not Siakam.   I'm sure next year they'll be a new batch of disgruntled stars looking for new addresses.  Happens every off season.   Time for us to now get prepared for that.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, shakes said:

Use that money to sign a big time FA. 

Hawks have never been able to be 1st in line for any big time FAs. Then we'll end up overpaying for the middling ones and be in worse position withOUT young players to develop.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Super disappointing season. People owe Nate a bit of an apology, not saying he was a perfect or even a great coach, but we are seeing he wasn't the main issue (as I pointed out at the time)

I don't disagree that anyone who said it was all Nate's fault was badly overstating things but I remain convinced that moving on from Nate was the right move.  Offensively this team is dramatically smarter than it was last year when we deliberately took more bad shots and avoided good shots for some inane reason and the hero ball, "your turn, my turn" approach to Trae and DM was a failure in coaching.  JJ certainly won't be sending an apologies to Nate as he has finally been freed this season.

We have issues that go well beyond Nate but moving to Quin was the definitely the right way to go (even if Quin doesn't turn out to be the solution).  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

I don't disagree that anyone who said it was all Nate's fault was badly overstating things but I remain convinced that moving on from Nate was the right move.  Offensively this team is dramatically smarter than it was last year when we deliberately took more bad shots and avoided good shots for some inane reason and the hero ball, "your turn, my turn" approach to Trae and DM was a failure in coaching.  JJ certainly won't be sending an apologies to Nate as he has finally been freed this season.

We have issues that go well beyond Nate but moving to Quin was the definitely the right way to go (even if Quin doesn't turn out to be the solution).  

Not criticizing the change, but just pointing out Nate was scapegoated for things out of his control, specifically, the defense. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

You can hate his system or whatever but we were 4 games over .500 with the 2nd and 7th rated offense in his two "full" seasons as coach. Quinn's style may be more fun but the results have not been better. 

I don't know that I really believed the results were going to be better for Quin's first ~20 games of implementing his schemes.  What made me excited about Quin and his staff being here was the long term success of this team, not short term.  Quin's first two seasons in Utah weren't amazing either.  I don't think it will take our squad 2 full seasons of mediocrity to improve with him though, because we have more talent than those early Jazz squads.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Not criticizing the change, but just pointing out Nate was scapegoated for things out of his control, specifically, the defense. 

I'll agree on the defensive side of the ball (other than potentially JJ being a value add).  Personnel was and remains the biggest issue there.

• Moderators

A lot of preaching patience while we watch crummy teams race by us.  I'm ready to cheer for an impatient franchise.  Acquiring players and giving out contracts is an imperfect science.  You're going to screw up and you're going to overpay to get good.  We're so scared of that that as soon as we have a contract that we feel is 5% too high we pay someone to take it on.  And then complain as we watch G leaguers and washed up vets try to round out the bench.   

Yeah i know i'm foolish etc. but aren't ya'll tired of being an also ran in every trade, every free agent, the standings, the all star game, the media, the player's perception? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae - started off slow, and has picked it up all across the board.

DJ - started off hot and has tailed off.

Hunter -  still Huntering (that's all I got)

JJ - a very bright spot

CC - struggling

OO - has not taken the next step. I'm dissapointed.

Bogi - slow start from 3 but has picked it up. Still runs hot and cold.

Bey - can't defend his way out of a wet paper bag....ok otherwise except stepping out of bounds on corner 3s with his clown shoes.

AJ - a very Dissapointing season so far, seems lost. I need Quin to play him or send him to the GLeague.

Kobe and Mo - injured

The rest - nothing to write home about

What to do, what to do  what to do????

The roller coaster win, loss, win, loss, win, loss is back. I'm already dizzy.

Very accurate 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

A lot of preaching patience while we watch crummy teams race by us.  I'm ready to cheer for an impatient franchise.  Acquiring players and giving out contracts is an imperfect science.  You're going to screw up and you're going to overpay to get good.  We're so scared of that that as soon as we have a contract that we feel is 5% too high we pay someone to take it on.  And then complain as we watch G leaguers and washed up vets try to round out the bench.   

Yeah i know i'm foolish etc. but aren't ya'll tired of being an also ran in every trade, every free agent, the standings, the all star game, the media, the player's perception? 

:good:

42 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

One thing about the east and the play in is that we're probably seeing another season where there are only 10 teams who aren't tanking.   So making the play in will take almost no effort.  

and then another 8 vs 1 matchup and we are home again - rinse repeat, rinse repeat.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

trading DJM after he signed that deal is not going to do the team any favors with players or agents.  Not that it may need to be done just saying, 

That's what i was thinking when he signed it but if it's next summer i think it'll be fine.  especially if they are able to send him somewhere good that he's cool with.  He may get tired of this place too. 

• Like 1

Hurting!  Yep.  Missing JJ very much.  Also, we had high hopes for three draft picks from our latest.  Two are out, injured, and aren't expected back until next year.  The third is playing G League and looking pretty good.  We're waiting for his call up.

Bruno went down for one game while the Hawks were off, but he didn't get in our last game, with our two centers in foul trouble.  I suppose that there should be some movement with the Hawks that never get to play.  Stir up the pot.  This may include some of the players who currently are playing.

Trade deadline is coming soon.  Will Atlanta find a deal that they can live with by then?  Not just making a deal to say that we did something.  A real deal!  You know, it just might happen!

:smug:

No one could've predicted how little we get from OO AND AJ.  Unfathomable. 

No, they're not the only problems but man that's a gut punch.

I honestly don't blame smHunter much anymore.  I feel like he gets no help, in many ways, because we're getting NOTHING from any other wing.  Zero. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1