Landry has Cooper Flagg dreams 😴

Spud2nique

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Do you know is the arguably the most marketable athlete of his generation outside of MJ and perhaps LeBron. A black golfer named Tiger Woods. Case closed. 

Tiger is kind of interesting in that he would be the mirror case that some are trying to make.  In a sport where none of the superstars were Black Americans, a black golfer emerges to become the most marketable player in the last 50 years of the sport.  Not sure if they are making the case that white athletes in general are more marketable or that specifically for basketball that it would be huge because there have been no white American superstars for decades.

Either way, you and I agree that race isn't the big thing that will determine if Flagg is a marketing star or not.  I also think Tiger Woods would have been a generational star regardless of his race.  Same with Jordan.  Same with LeBron.  They are all very charismatic and generational talents.

(Definitely disagree on Mahomes / Brady as I think the vast majority of adults knew who Brady was at this stage of his career whereas I would be that a significant majority of Americans wouldn't recognize Mahomes wearing a business suit.  There is a reason Kelce was the Chief hosting SNL and it isn't because Mahomes has Brady type Q status.)

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I didn't know NBA fans were so xenophobic. "I would be a huge fan of his, but he's not American!" Like nobody is thinking that at all. Do you seriously believe if had just been born in Scranton or Toledo that would make some huge difference in his marketability? That's absolutely moronic. 

nothing to do with xenophobia, just human nature.  People prefer athletes who are from the same area as them or the same country at least.   I'm talking nationally here, not locally.    Of course people will cheer for guys who are on their team no matter where they are from, but nationally a USA born player has a lot more cache with people who live in the USA than foreign players.

Just look at jersey sales.  The top 3 are all USA born and 7 of the top 10 are USA born.  Remind me, when was the last time a USA  player won MVP?    Jokic isn't even in the top 10 in 2023 despite coming off back to back MVPs and winning the NBA Finals with a Finals MVP award.  he sits at #14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Tiger is kind of interesting in that he would be the mirror case that some are trying to make.  In a sport where none of the superstars were Black Americans, a black golfer emerges to become the most marketable player in the last 50 years of the sport.  Not sure if they are making the case that white athletes in general are more marketable or that specifically for basketball that it would be huge because there have been no white American superstars for decades.

Either way, you and I agree that race isn't the big thing that will determine if Flagg is a marketing star or not.  I also think Tiger Woods would have been a generational star regardless of his race.  Same with Jordan.  Same with LeBron.  They are all very charismatic and generational talents.

(Definitely disagree on Mahomes / Brady as I think the vast majority of adults knew who Brady was at this stage of his career whereas I would be that a significant majority of Americans wouldn't recognize Mahomes wearing a business suit.  There is a reason Kelce was the Chief hosting SNL and it isn't because Mahomes has Brady type Q status.)

Patrick Mahomes is the leading endorser among active NFL players. Not sure what else you want.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Patrick Mahomes is the leading endorser among active NFL players. Not sure what else you want.

Maybe I underestimate his popularity.  I don't see him as anywhere close to the kind of public facing marketing that we've seen from similarly successful QBs in the past but if he is out there in a way I'm just not seeing then he isn't a good example.  It is an argument that will always have ad hoc examples and one I don't really buy into so probably not a useful digression beyond saying that I don't think he has the kind of presence that Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peytan Manning, and others did.  To your point, I can't think of anyone in the NFL today that has that kind of popularity so I may just be missing it as I'm not as invested in the NFL as I used to be.

• Like 1